The Student Room Group

theory test advice

ive started today on revision -
did 3 practice questions (50 questions per thing)

may do another one on the way to work
i have a test on the 4th of december, how much revision should i be doing a day? am i starting late?
If it's the driving theory test the video section catches people out because it's stupid.

Someone was complaining about this here ages ago.

So I recently failed my Theory Test a few weeks ago but I've booked it for tomorrow. I got 50/50 on the questions but failed the Hazard Perception portion of the test by a few points. This is just a rant towards the faulty system they have in place.

The Hazard Perception is complete bull - I'm not just saying that because I failed; let's look at the facts:

- It is in appalling quality which is in no way representative to how you would see things in an actual car (with more clarity and a wider field of view). "You failed because you didn't see that 8-bit pixelated bike!"

- What is classed as a hazard? The test is simply too ambiguous - shall I click for the wet road conditions? the person on the side of the road? There's simply too many things a driver should take into account.

- You get penalized for click TOO EARLY. I've recently been practicing on the official DVD and my clicks are always registering a tiny amount before the 5 points so I end up with nothing. When clearly the hazard already was in view before the scoring system came up. An example of this is when I clicked when I saw a bike rider in the distance, I got no points as I had to click when i was about 1 meter closer to the rider. I guess that makes me unsafe to be on the roads.

- Around 50% of existing driving instructors (who have been on the roads for years and safely passed tests) fail the Hazard Perception. This alone is proof it doesn't always represent a good and safe driver. It is often due to them again clicking too early.

I could go on forever but I'd leave it at that. In 2013 the DVLA announced that they would implement an animated Hazard Perception Test (in 2013) but that has yet to happen. Either way, they need to sort out this broken test. I spot hazards easily when I drive (as do many experienced drivers who have failed the HP test) - I don't need a test lacking validity to tell me I'm not safe enough.

---------------------------------

Edit: Passed second time with 65/75 but I still think the test is flawed as all you're doing is learning how to do the test, not learning how to spot hazards.
(edited 8 years ago)

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=2971341
Original post by Anonymous

i have a test on the 4th of december, how much revision should i be doing a day? am i starting late?

I've moved your thread to the learning to drive forum
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous

You should be doing as much as you can when you have free time. As the questions are worded similar. It's basic common sense when on the road.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending