The Student Room Group
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds

My cats are thwarting my efforts to find housing

I am moving from the US and refuse to leave my cats behind. I have to leave my dog because he is a banned breed in the UK (annoying), so the cats are definitely coming with me! Unfortunately most places won't allow them. I really want a flat and not a house. Does anyone live in a building that allows pets? I have found places further out (Harrogate and Ilkley), but I'm not sure I want that commute.
Original post by katiegud
I am moving from the US and refuse to leave my cats behind. I have to leave my dog because he is a banned breed in the UK (annoying), so the cats are definitely coming with me! Unfortunately most places won't allow them. I really want a flat and not a house. Does anyone live in a building that allows pets? I have found places further out (Harrogate and Ilkley), but I'm not sure I want that commute.

This is a perennial problem, I'm afraid, for anyone who rents with pets :frown: All I can suggest is that you keep ringing letting agents, and offer to pay a larger deposit and to get the house professionally cleaned at the end of your tenancy. You may also have more joy if you approach individual landlords (not via estate agents - though it should be noted that you shouldn't pay any money for a house until you've viewed it in person, else you leave yourself open to fraud). This may also be of help http://www.letswithpets.org.uk/petowners/petowners
The Great Hall at University of Leeds
University of Leeds
Leeds
Reply 2
Thanks for responding. I have seen that website, but haven't had much luck. One of the letting agencies said I would have more luck with houses, so I guess that's the route we'll take. My next plan is to just wander around areas I want to live and call everyone with a sign in the window to see if they'll let me have cats.
Thanks for responding. I have seen that website, but haven't had much luck. One of the letting agencies said I would have more luck with houses, so I guess that's the route we'll take. My next plan is to just wander around areas I want to live and call everyone with a sign in the window to see if they'll let me have cats.

Out of interest, what's the problem with having a house? I've always preferred them.

In any case, if you got a flat you'd have to get a ground floor / basement one so that the cats can go outside, and that will narrow your options somewhat (especially seeing as basement flats are notorious for damp!)
Reply 4
Original post by Origami Bullets
Out of interest, what's the problem with having a house? I've always preferred them.

In any case, if you got a flat you'd have to get a ground floor / basement one so that the cats can go outside, and that will narrow your options somewhat (especially seeing as basement flats are notorious for damp!)

We really don't want to have to take care of a yard. Gardening is just not my thing. :smile: I would also like to avoid a ground floor flat, so that doesn't help much with the search! Maybe I can find a house with no garden.
We really don't want to have to take care of a yard. Gardening is just not my thing. :smile: I would also like to avoid a ground floor flat, so that doesn't help much with the search! Maybe I can find a house with no garden.

They definitely exist - I live in a house where the back yard is the size of a postage stamp and entirely covered in concrete. It's quite common to find that with small red brick terraced houses in Manchester, and I would imagine that the same is true in Leeds. Either way, I'd suggest that a spot of light gardening, or paying someone else to do it for you, is preferable to having to rehome your cats.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
There are lots of terraced housing areas in Leeds. I saw few in Burley and Hyde Park when I was searching for a place. They are close to Universities and there are lots of them with "to let" signs. Also, there are people with pets living in these areas so there must be houses that allow pets. I would suggest though to also consider larger houses (which usually have gardens, yards) as the smaller terraced houses are generally cramped and have little space to walk (or for cats to run around).
(edited 9 years ago)
I agree with talking to the landlord. My contract said no pets but we discussed it with him and he said we could so long as it is looked after and isn't too big.
Something that might seem obvious but hasn't been pointed out yet... if you have cats, do they use litter boxes or go outside? I don't know about in cities, but people in my area aren't pleased when a 'present' is left somewhere in the garden. Much more acceptable if it's buried though, but British cats seem to be taken away from their mothers too early so that they haven't been taught to bury their excrements...

Lovely topic, I know, but a small grassed area could be useful for that...
Reply 9
Original post by carrotstar
Something that might seem obvious but hasn't been pointed out yet... if you have cats, do they use litter boxes or go outside? I don't know about in cities, but people in my area aren't pleased when a 'present' is left somewhere in the garden. Much more acceptable if it's buried though, but British cats seem to be taken away from their mothers too early so that they haven't been taught to bury their excrements...

Lovely topic, I know, but a small grassed area could be useful for that...

There are some special purpose bins around for this in some streets and parks. This is how it works I think in densely populated areas or where the pets are not well trained to go outside or there is no grassed area near the house.
Original post by cs_expert
There are some special purpose bins around for this in some streets and parks. This is how it works I think in densely populated areas or where the pets are not well trained to go outside or there is no grassed area near the house.

Aren't they more for dog walkers? That would require OP following their cats around and picking up after them...
Original post by carrotstar
Aren't they more for dog walkers? That would require OP following their cats around and picking up after them...

I don't say it is easy but living close to University of Leeds, with apartment being preferable, most of the terraced housing not having grassy areas, if you end up finding the 'gifts' on the paved yard or where ever the cats play outside, that is one option to dispose them.
Reply 12
My cats use a litter box, so that won't be an issue. They have no interest in the outdoors.

Quick Reply

Latest