The Student Room Group

I've let my best friend down

Hi everyone.

Thanks for reading.

One of my best friends (Let's call her X) is going through an exceptionally difficult breakup with her boyfriend of 8 years. They have a house together, shared finances, and even a pet cat. X is now having to move back into her parents' house and completely rebuild the life she had been living.

Our friendship group is close (there are 5 of us), and we were told about this a few weeks ago, upon which we offered our immediate support and thoughts. I've checked in with my friend a little since then.

Yesterday, I received a message from another person in our friendship group (Y) saying that X is really upset by the level of support I have been showing since the breakup and that while it is clear that I love X very much, my actions (or lack thereof) aren't reflecting that. Y asked me to really think about how I could better support X, and that Ishe is disappointed in me.

Honestly, I'm utterly mortified and appalled at my inaction. I agree with everything being said to me, and looking back at my messages, the lack of effort I have put into making sure X is okay is quite frankly disgraceful on my part. I don't think I appreciated the gravity of what she is having to go through: literally seeing her future shatter before her. The fact that it has taken a mutual friend speaking to me to realise my impact is shocking in itself, and I am so angry with myself for not having seen what should have been blatantly obvious to anyone with a shred of common sense and decency. In short, I know I have let my friend down at the worst point in her life, and I've never felt more guilty.

I have sent X a heartfelt and honest apology, with a promise to do A LOT better from now on. I have also had a very harsh talk with myself about how short-sighted I have been. X has since replied and said that while the lack of presence hurt, she appreciates the message and can tell how sorry I am. Y has also thanked me for taking on board the advice.

Apart from making sure I check in and am available for when she needs me, I'm not really sure what else I can do. I'm being careful not to pester X in an attempt to make myself feel better, but I am keen to make sure I do much better from this point.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation, or can anyone offer any advice, guidance or opinions (be as honest as you like)? I feel absolutely awful - and deservedly so, but really want to learn from the situation.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the length.
It is great that you both have communicated to each other. That is the most important part of friendship. Please be gentle on yourself, as though you feel you may have done more; you may do so, starting now.
Also remember, that you may have been busy at times and couldn’t. Things can slip our mind inadvertently.

I have been in similar situations, where I have hurt my friends inadvertently. Apologising and showing initiative is the best way.
Again, be gentle on yourself as different people have their own expectations on friendships and what that includes.

Your post shows you have already learnt from the situation. Next step is to put that into action! You were instantly willing to learn, and communicate. You seem like a great friend.
Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone.

Thanks for reading.

One of my best friends (Let's call her X) is going through an exceptionally difficult breakup with her boyfriend of 8 years. They have a house together, shared finances, and even a pet cat. X is now having to move back into her parents' house and completely rebuild the life she had been living.

Our friendship group is close (there are 5 of us), and we were told about this a few weeks ago, upon which we offered our immediate support and thoughts. I've checked in with my friend a little since then.

Yesterday, I received a message from another person in our friendship group (Y) saying that X is really upset by the level of support I have been showing since the breakup and that while it is clear that I love X very much, my actions (or lack thereof) aren't reflecting that. Y asked me to really think about how I could better support X, and that Ishe is disappointed in me.

Honestly, I'm utterly mortified and appalled at my inaction. I agree with everything being said to me, and looking back at my messages, the lack of effort I have put into making sure X is okay is quite frankly disgraceful on my part. I don't think I appreciated the gravity of what she is having to go through: literally seeing her future shatter before her. The fact that it has taken a mutual friend speaking to me to realise my impact is shocking in itself, and I am so angry with myself for not having seen what should have been blatantly obvious to anyone with a shred of common sense and decency. In short, I know I have let my friend down at the worst point in her life, and I've never felt more guilty.

I have sent X a heartfelt and honest apology, with a promise to do A LOT better from now on. I have also had a very harsh talk with myself about how short-sighted I have been. X has since replied and said that while the lack of presence hurt, she appreciates the message and can tell how sorry I am. Y has also thanked me for taking on board the advice.

Apart from making sure I check in and am available for when she needs me, I'm not really sure what else I can do. I'm being careful not to pester X in an attempt to make myself feel better, but I am keen to make sure I do much better from this point.

Has anyone else been in a similar situation, or can anyone offer any advice, guidance or opinions (be as honest as you like)? I feel absolutely awful - and deservedly so, but really want to learn from the situation.

Thanks in advance and sorry for the length.
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous

Rather than an unspecified "I'm here if you need me" offer some practical assistance. It's not pestering; there's probably things that need doing that your friend hasn't thought of or that she wouldn't dream.of asking someone else to do.

Does she need boxes or cases to pack, does she need help with the move? Does she need to shop for items she's leaving behind? Could you take some laundry to do (if she works, is there uniform or clothes she needs ready)? Does she want someone to sit there with her whilst she does financial paperwork and updates her address on documents? Maybe you could even talk with the other friends and subtly organise a rota of taking her out for a walk, a coffee, lunch.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending