The Student Room Group

I think I want to leave university...

Ok guys so to cut a long story short, I've been having really strange feelings at uni. I study nursing atm and it's a stressful course no doubt, not all that difficult I admit but I am big into my science and I feel I'm not getting that here. Anyway I've been getting really wierd feelings about it lately. I can't tell whether I'm stressed and just need a good rant about the fact that we do twelve hour shifts, look after people, get shouted at abused, hit, spat at etc. and get shown barely any recognition or thanks. Or whether or not I genuinely have decided that it's not for me anymore. I'm very confused. Basically I just need someone to point me in the right direction. I would be able to make a decision if I had a foothold to start from but I feel completely lost! .. Thanks in advance! :smile:
Original post by Daveboi115
Ok guys so to cut a long story short, I've been having really strange feelings at uni. I study nursing atm and it's a stressful course no doubt, not all that difficult I admit but I am big into my science and I feel I'm not getting that here. Anyway I've been getting really wierd feelings about it lately. I can't tell whether I'm stressed and just need a good rant about the fact that we do twelve hour shifts, look after people, get shouted at abused, hit, spat at etc. and get shown barely any recognition or thanks. Or whether or not I genuinely have decided that it's not for me anymore. I'm very confused. Basically I just need someone to point me in the right direction. I would be able to make a decision if I had a foothold to start from but I feel completely lost! .. Thanks in advance! :smile:

To be honest, only you can make that decision - we don't know what's going on in your head either!! Is there a guidance tutor you can talk to? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
may I ask what year you are in?
Original post by Bames
may I ask what year you are in?

Nothing - Gap Year in between school and uni, so not the best qualified person to reply... However a friend was considering dropping out and found talking to a member of staff really helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
OP I assume you're in first year?

Nursing is a tough degree mainly due to the clinical side of things.
Not much science involved yes.

If you're in first year, drop out and apply for med/biomed or something more sciency

Original post by Butterfly9595
Nothing - Gap Year in between school and uni, so not the best qualified person to reply... However a friend was considering dropping out and found talking to a member of staff really helpful :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I don't think the question was aimed at you....
Reply 5

Posted from TSR Mobile

I think they were referring to the OP :wink:

perhaps both of those things, how you're being treated and that you might prefer something more 'sciency' might be contributing to your wanting to change course. I guess only one person can come to that conclusion and that's you. How ever, if you can try and reduce or eliminate one of those factors I,e the stress, by changing your placement (of thats even possible) or reducing stress in some other way, then that might help.
Original post by The pencil one
OP I assume you're in first year?

Nursing is a tough degree mainly due to the clinical side of things.
Not much science involved yes.

If you're in first year, drop out and apply for med/biomed or something more sciency

I don't think the question was aimed at you....

Damn, thought it was the OP asking, sorry guys!

Posted from TSR Mobile

It is very important for you to take a break and figure out what you want to do. You must clear you head and evaluate all the options and their prospects before taking up anything.

Good Luck
Reply 8

Posted from TSR Mobile

Butterfly9595, I would advise you go straight though and not give in to your doubts and fears every one has, the three years will go quickly and your still young you still apply to study something more 'sciency' the thing is as a qualified nurse you will be able to save up and put your self through your 2nd degree as well as support yourself through agency shifts, the 12 hour shifts, the nights, uniform code, and the fact that youi may not make friends, may be very frustrating but you will get over that quickly, please don't quit, there is nothing wrong in taking a few years to decide on what you really want to do but please do your nursing course, you will always have a job.
Original post by Bames
Butterfly9595, I would advise you go straight though and not give in to your doubts and fears every one has, the three years will go quickly and your still young you still apply to study something more 'sciency' the thing is as a qualified nurse you will be able to save up and put your self through your 2nd degree as well as support yourself through agency shifts, the 12 hour shifts, the nights, uniform code, and the fact that youi may not make friends, may be very frustrating but you will get over that quickly, please don't quit, there is nothing wrong in taking a few years to decide on what you really want to do but please do your nursing course, you will always have a job.

I'm not the OP with the problem - I was stupid and misread something and accidentally answered your question - sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
I'm not the OP with the problem - I was stupid and misread something and accidentally answered your question - sorry!

Posted from TSR Mobile

I did'nt take my dementia pills today lol

Quick Reply

Latest