The Student Room Group

[OCR] A2 | Principles and Concepts Across PE Areas | G453

Scroll to see replies

do you think it is best to only revise certain areas since it is such a wide course
its not working sorry :/

here are all the possible 20 markers in psychology though, apply your own predictions to them:
Personality - describe theories related to personality and how they affect sports performance (possible- evaluate personality profiling)
Attidues - Evaluate critically attitudes and behaviour in sport and lifestyle choices
Leadership - Demonstrate knowledge and understanding of effective leadership and explain its effects on lifestyle behaviour (perhaps: trait, social learning, interactionist theories)
Goal setting-Evaluate the use of short/medium/long temr goals and process/perofrmance/product goals to improve performance and participation
Self-Efficacy - Explain the effects of self-efficacy on performance and in susataining a balance, active and healthy lifestyle (possible: may asked about vealey's/bandura's model)
Emotional control - Critically evaluate anxiety managment techniques in improving performance, participation in physical activity and sustaining a healthy lifestyle
Social facilitation - Using psychological theories, explain possible positive and negative effects of an audience on sports performance. Describe the strategies that help prevent soacial inhibition in physical activities and how these may help the pursuit of a balance, active and healthy lifestyle
Aggression - Evaluate theories of aggression that seek to explain why negative responses often occur in sporting situations ---- Show your knowledge of methods of eliminating the aggressive tendencies of performers and explain the effects of these methods on the adoption of active and healthy lifestyles
Attribution - Critically evaluate the effects of attribution theory on performance and sustaining a balanced, active and healthy lifestyle

Note: These are not the only questions that could come up, these are just a rough guide to what questions in each area are likely to be structure like. If you can answer all these well, then chances are you will have no problem in answering the psychology 20 marker on Monday!

Best of luck!
Just curios, I was looking at the 20 marker mark scheme and was wondering if each point e.g. point 13 would = 2 points for the comparing of similarity/difference or is it just 1 marking point?

http://gyazo.com/60ee96f7de464135b5ad0e9fd4c329c0
Original post by lastminuterevise
Just curios, I was looking at the 20 marker mark scheme and was wondering if each point e.g. point 13 would = 2 points for the comparing of similarity/difference or is it just 1 marking point?

http://gyazo.com/60ee96f7de464135b5ad0e9fd4c329c0

Yes, I think it is worth 2 marks
Thanks for your predictions, Im probably going to compile a list of what most likely WONT be in there to help avoid wasting time in certain areas.
Ive just started today FML

What do you think won't come up? I think it's best we eliminate those unlikely first, like you said
Plus does anyone have any predictions for the historical studies? I can only conclude something to do with public schools may come up
Original post by kiddeeboy
What do you think won't come up? I think it's best we eliminate those unlikely first, like you said

Comparative:
Initiatives to promote Physical Education + Sport in Australia and UK
Development of football in Australia compared with UK
Benefit of summer camps in USA to young people. Reasons summer camps arent as popular in UK
*High School sport in USA + Secondary schools in UK
Effectiveness of USA + UK System

Sports Psychology:
Importance for goal setting to lead a BAHL
Cue Utilisation effects on performance, with practical examples
Characteristics of leadership types: Task-orientated, social-orientated, Laissez-faire + Practical example in sport
*Positive and Negative effects of audience in sport
Strategies to prevent effects of Social Inhibition

Exercise Physiology:
Types of strength + Method to measure strength
Evaluating diet intake + Recommendation for diet improvement
Definitions: Energy, Work, Power
Role of ATP in providing energy for muscular contraction
*Define Flexility
Factors affecting flexibility of a performer with examples
Types of training to develop flexibility
Reply 47
Could you email it?
Original post by Debbie_F
Could you email it?

Email what sorry?
Reply 49
Original post by harryeverett
Emotional control:
anxiety=negative emotional state of worry, nervousness
arousal=more generally positive, "how much you're up for it"
a peak flow experience occurs when high somatic arousal coincides with low cognitive anxiety. This results in happiness, self-fulfilment. a fully focused and controlled performance achieves quality of skill.
Each person has an individual zone of optimum functioning. Different people perform best at different arousal levels.
This section's closely linked with attentional control&social facilitation. Psychology so a lot of sections work together, are affected by 1 another.
Personality, complexity of task&level of ability all affect arousal levels.
State anxiety=situation specific temporary
Trait anxiety=stable, enduring general
Stress triggers/stimulates increases in arousal/anxiety
Then the somatic&cognitive anxiety management techniques.

Thanks for this!
I have HIGH anxiety and LOW arousal for this exam lol because the complexity of the task is too hard and my level of skill is at the novice stage lmao :frown:
Not even sure if im using these keywords in the right way..
How am i supposed to remember all this?
Comparative:
Initiatives to promote Physical Education + Sport in Australia and UK
Development of football in Australia compared with UK
Benefit of summer camps in USA to young people. Reasons summer camps arent as popular in UK
*High School sport in USA + Secondary schools in UK
Effectiveness of USA + UK System

Sports Psychology:
Importance for goal setting to lead a BAHL
Cue Utilisation effects on performance, with practical examples
Characteristics of leadership types: Task-orientated, social-orientated, Laissez-faire + Practical example in sport
*Positive and Negative effects of audience in sport
Strategies to prevent effects of Social Inhibition

Exercise Physiology:
Types of strength + Method to measure strength
Evaluating diet intake + Recommendation for diet improvement
Definitions: Energy, Work, Power
Role of ATP in providing energy for muscular contraction
*Define Flexility
Factors affecting flexibility of a performer with examples
Types of training to develop flexibility

is this what could be on or what was on last year
Original post by Lewiswilliams22
is this what could be on or what was on last year

That was the June 2013 paper
Reply 52
Email what sorry?

Np, thought you couldn't attach your predictions
Reply 53
Going through the Jan13 past paper - psychology section and I am stuck on the 20 marker, I have the mark scheme open but I feel like its not actually tackling the question. Could anyone help me please?

"The behaviour of individuals within groups, such as sports teams or friendship groups, can be affected by group dynamics.
Using psychological theories and practical examples, explain why some sports teams seem to be more cohesive and successful than other teams of similar ability.
Explain the negative group influences that can cause individuals to develop dysfunctional behaviour and to avoid a balanced, active and healthy lifestyle."

Thank you
Reply 54
Group psychological theories would centre around Steiners model. Idea that actual productivity=Potential productivity-losses due to faulty processes. Discuss potential losses via co-ordinational losses and motivational losses i.e. Ringleman effect and Social loafing. Why would each of these impact on a team and why would other teams perhaps no exhibit these losses? Using practical examples throughout.
Negative influences include increased assertiveness, adopt group values lacking motivation etc and relate each of these to why they would impact upon someones everyday lifestyle.

I haven't seen the mark scheme, just what my answer was back when I attempted in college so don't slate me if I haven't helped or am wrong, totally from memory :smile:
Reply 55
Original post by suvvie
Group psychological theories would centre around Steiners model. Idea that actual productivity=Potential productivity-losses due to faulty processes. Discuss potential losses via co-ordinational losses and motivational losses i.e. Ringleman effect and Social loafing. Why would each of these impact on a team and why would other teams perhaps no exhibit these losses? Using practical examples throughout.
Negative influences include increased assertiveness, adopt group values lacking motivation etc and relate each of these to why they would impact upon someones everyday lifestyle.

I haven't seen the mark scheme, just what my answer was back when I attempted in college so don't slate me if I haven't helped or am wrong, totally from memory :smile:

No not at all, thank you very much for your help :smile:
Reply 56
How do you upload photos that are to large to be uploaded via tsr?

file:///C:/Users/lilbo_000/Desktop/Downloads/photo%201.JPG

file:///C:/Users/lilbo_000/Desktop/Downloads/photo%202.JPG

file:///C:/Users/lilbo_000/Desktop/Downloads/photo%203.JPG
Reply 57
Anyone have any (go to) practical examples that they always use for answering 20markers that they would like share ?

SPORTS PSYCHOLOGY
For an example in answeing cognitve dissonance theory questions, i normally say boys may have negative attitudes when it comes to playing netball as it is seen as a girls sport!

OR

An example of The behavioural component would be religious athletes may not want to compete on sundays as it is seen as the holy day.
Original post by Nigel95
How do you upload photos that are to large to be uploaded via tsr?

file:///C:/Users/lilbo_000/Desktop/Downloads/photo%201.JPG

file:///C:/Users/lilbo_000/Desktop/Downloads/photo%202.JPG

file:///C:/Users/lilbo_000/Desktop/Downloads/photo%203.JPG

Use an image loading site like imgur 'lilbo' :wink:
Could anyone do a massive favour and pm me a copy of a 20 mark answer theyve done?

Preferably one thats got 15 or more marks, and in either psychology, physiology or comparative! :smile:

I keep getting 10s and would love to see where im dropping marks in terms of quality of writing and structure.

Thanks so much in advance!

Quick Reply

Latest