The Student Room Group

Greatest Female Singer of All Time.

Not sure if this has been asked on here before (recently), although I'm sure it has!

In your opinion, who do you think the greatest female singer of all time is and why?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hard choice to make but I would maybe go for Dolly Parton as she is a great songwriter as well as singer. I also love Regina Spektor and Tracy Chapman for their unique voices and styles. Urgh its just too hard to choose!

Posted from TSR Mobile
The lead singer of "The Angry Vagina's".
Taylor Swift no contest.
Original post by Y2J97
Not sure if this has been asked on here before (recently), although I'm sure it has!

In your opinion, who do you think the greatest female singer of all time is and why?

Good question, but different voices have different strengths/qualities.

I would say:
Strength/power of voice - Whitney Houston but her songs are on the whole REALLY boring and dry.
Soulfulness - Aretha Franklin or Ella Fitzgerald (close call)
Rawest/most talented female voice of our generation - Amy Winehouse
Original post by Temporality
Good question, but different voices have different strengths/qualities.

I would say:
Strength/power of voice - Whitney Houston but her songs are on the whole REALLY boring and dry.
Soulfulness - Aretha Franklin or Ella Fitzgerald (close call)
Rawest/most talented female voice of our generation - Amy Winehouse

I agree. I think Amy Winehouse could've done with some more recognition and appreciation whilst she was still alive, especially after her first album before she was troubled and attached bad media attention.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Kandybars
I agree. I think Amy Winehouse could've done with some more recognition and appreciation whilst she was still alive, especially after her first album before she was troubled and attached bad media attention.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah for real. Are you a fan? If not I won't bore you with my musings haha.
Reply 7

Even though her mention was almost always negative in the gutter press, I think that Amy received the accolades she deserved - both critically and commercially - with Back To Black. That was a monumental moment in British music history.

I agree with Temporality to consider her the greatest of our generation, from not only a performance standpoint but also composition- and writing-wise.

Love Is A Losing Game

[video="youtube;4L9-AvjsB6g"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4L9-AvjsB6g[/video]
Shania twain
Anneke Van Giersbergen. Seven albums with the gathering, five solo albums, two with devin townsend, and tons and tons of other collaborations, yet no one in the UK seems to know her. Her voice is brilliant and she can sing tons of styles, everything from ambient to metal, to acoustic and trip-hop. Writes all her songs too.

She's INCREDIBLE live^ (starts a minute in)

^song's called Travel

My other favourites are: Lisa Gerrard, Liz Frazer and Floor Jansen rounding out equal second. Charlotte Wessels, Dianne Van Giersbergen, Kari Rueslatten, Silje Wergeland, Lee Douglas Marcela Bovio, and the two Edvardsen sisters, Ann-Mari and Monika are my other favourites.

Wouldn't expect many of you to know who they are unfortunately :frown:
Nina Simone, Amy Winehouse, Stevie Nicks, Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell all come to mind as really "great" singers. Possibly Adele, Celine Dion, and Madonna too
Original post by arxtra
Even though her mention was almost always negative in the gutter press, I think that Amy received the accolades she deserved - both critically and commercially - with Back To Black. That was a monumental moment in British music history.

I agree with Temporality to consider her the greatest of our generation, from not only a performance standpoint but also composition- and writing-wise.

Love Is A Losing Game

That was an outstanding album, but perhaps over-listened to by me and I would say work from 'Lioness: hidden treasures' the album she never made was great.

[video="youtube;Hi7DDT8pfrA"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hi7DDT8pfrA&index=1&list =PL978DA9122EDF3A1A[/video]

Will you still love me tomorrow http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ludxpkyrab0

The girl from Ipanema http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fDsU4L15Ip8

She truly believed in everything she sung, she was so soulful yet she wasn't innocent, she was rebellious and truthful. She had something very pure inside her and that transmits when she sings. Her voice is more like an instrument than any other artist I would say. It has its unique timbers. And of course she had her own wonderful sense of style that no one else could copy. What an artist. Rest in sweet peace Amy, you were a one-off and it's just sad you couldn't have lived to produce more work.
(edited 9 years ago)
As said previously it depends on many things though in my opinion Idina Menzel is one of the better all rounders. But I've got a soft spot for Broadway tbh.
Yeah for real. Are you a fan? If not I won't bore you with my musings haha.

I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan but I do like her music. My mum used to rave on about her a lot haha.
Original post by Alleykat606
Nina Simone, Amy Winehouse, Stevie Nicks, Aretha Franklin, Joni Mitchell all come to mind as really "great" singers. Possibly Adele, Celine Dion, and Madonna too

Lol personally Celine Dion makes me want to puke. Madonna has some good tunes and character but I wouldn't call her greatest singer. As for Adele, she makes me want to curl up and die somewhere lol. Good voice but too depressing especially that someone like you tune.
I wouldn't say I'm a huge fan but I do like her music. My mum used to rave on about her a lot haha.

Haha no way mine too! I guess it's cause she was quite traditional in some ways, less of the autotunes and twerking. She had actual talent. :smile:
Lol personally Celine Dion makes me want to puke. Madonna has some good tunes and character but I wouldn't call her greatest singer. As for Adele, she makes me want to curl up and die somewhere lol. Good voice but too depressing especially that someone like you tune.

I did wonder about Madonna since the title suggested only the 'singing' aspect, but I thought I might as well put her in given what she aims to represent - power to women etc plus you can't deny her success

As well as having a great voice, Adele has said she prefers more intimate concerts where the audience is closer to the stage - no gimmicks, just the sound of her voice. I picked her because she is an intelligent performer as well as an adept recording artist - something that a lot of artists nowadays lack

Again, I chose Celine Dion simply because of her voice - her songs don't thrill me, but I felt she shouldn't not be mentioned
Beyonce is the best singer out of the lot.

#QueenB
#Beehive
#Yonce
Original post by Shiroyuki
Beyonce is the best singer out of the lot.

#QueenB
#Beehive
#Yonce

Beyonce is terrible. She hasn't written or released one worthwhile song. And she's so flipping arrogant. Don't like her one bit. She should be erased from the history of music.
Original post by Alleykat606
I did wonder about Madonna since the title suggested only the 'singing' aspect, but I thought I might as well put her in given what she aims to represent - power to women etc plus you can't deny her success

As well as having a great voice, Adele has said she prefers more intimate concerts where the audience is closer to the stage - no gimmicks, just the sound of her voice. I picked her because she is an intelligent performer as well as an adept recording artist - something that a lot of artists nowadays lack

Again, I chose Celine Dion simply because of her voice - her songs don't thrill me, but I felt she shouldn't not be mentioned

Yeah Adele has raw talent I'l give you that - even if her songs do want to make you curl up in a ball lol. Personally I don't like Celine Dion's voice at all, far too chocolate box for me.

Quick Reply

Latest