The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Would she be able to go to a day centre or maybe do a (part time) course at college? the colleges near me offer very supportive programmes for people with physical or learning disabilities, and there is also a special residential college.
Reply 61
Take her to the beach, to collect unique things.
Reply 62
Everyone loves Playdoh!
Reply 63
katiyakat
Everyone loves Playdoh!
Thats a very good suggestion actually.

Maybe painting even.
katiyakat
Everyone loves Playdoh!

yeah you're never too old for playdoh :smile: I use blu-tac as a substitute in my office.
Reply 65
crana
Would she be able to go to a day centre or maybe do a (part time) course at college? the colleges near me offer very supportive programmes for people with physical or learning disabilities, and there is also a special residential college.
She goes to college part time so that's good...I think any problems will only start in the summer...we got a taste of them this easter! But then I'll also be able to devote more time to her (no exams in the way etc)
Reply 66
Since you think the worst time will be during the summer you could send her to a camp for disabled people for a week. There is one here in Arkansas that one of my cousins worked at. There they did things with people that they wouldn't have been able to do on their own. For example, they took people swimming who couldn't use their legs and supported them in the water.

I like the pet idea. I bet that she would love a dog. If you got her like a labrador then it could be trained to look after her.
Reply 67
Adhsur
She goes to college part time so that's good...I think any problems will only start in the summer...we got a taste of them this easter! But then I'll also be able to devote more time to her (no exams in the way etc)

about the tamagotchi thing- yeah, they just released a new bunch of them in japan, that you can get really cheap on ebay.
Music is a good one - it's highly therapeutic, even if it's just listening to music. But if you have access to a keyboard of any type or any very simple musical instrument that she might be able to have a go on, she may get some enjoyment out of it - you never know :smile: I don't know how much co-ordination she has but it might work. Bear in mind though that she may also get very frustrated with it :s-smilie:

I know it's been said very many times before on here but yeah, pets are a superb idea - the fish are good but if you can bear the extra hassle of something like a cat or a dog (cats are infinitely easier) that might be even better - anyone who's ever sat with a cat on their lap will know where I'm coming from here! It's not particularly mentally stimulating to cuddle a cat but it's nice :smile:
Reply 69
Adhsur

Can anyone please recommend something she can do in her spare time?

I read once about how quadraplegics use a virtual world called "VZones", (www.vzones.com) which is a social world but has lots more to do besides chat. I think it is certainly worth checking out, although it isn't free, it provides an escape for people in similar situations to your sister, as well as people without disabilities.
Reply 70
Thats interesting. Nice suggestion.
I think that scrap book thing sounds really good... she could put in pics from mags etc and also photos and bits of random material and photos etc. Then it would be an interesting alternative to reading a book too.
This isn't exactly something she might be able to do on her own (they probably all involve a bit of travel) but it might be something she'd be interested in:

http://www.bhpa.co.uk/flyability/intro.htm (the link to the main flyability website is down - looks like steve is working on it - I'll get hubby to send him an email)
http://www.bscd.org.uk/
http://www.holidaycare.org.uk/ (very good for finding out accessible accommadation and they also have some good places that provide respite - plus cheaper prices for hotels)
http://www.calvert-trust.org.uk/ (fantastic place - great fun)
Reply 73
i spent months in hospital last year, so have a few ideas:

*jigsaws, did a few million of those :smile:
*clay, the air-drying stuff that dopesnt need firing though
*painting
*using computers - making pictures on photoshop by distorting photos and stuff (v good fun), mixing music on the computer and burning your own cds.
*writing letters to EVERYONE - starting letter-writing campaigns to people
*audio-books - i listened to the whole LOTR and harry potter (stephen fry cover to cover version is very good, even if you, like me, dont like harry potter) people got them cheap at the library for me

when i got home i got a kitten and thats been the bst thing in the world for keeping me occupied!!!! get her a pet :smile:
On the subject of pets it might be worth getting in touch with these people: http://www.dogsforthedisabled.org/homepage.htm (our local RSPCA rep has one and she's absolutely gorgeous)

Or if having her own pet all the time is likely to be too much trouble then http://www.petsastherapy.org/ would probably be able to help.
Reply 75
is she mobile? if so, perhaps she could have a little bit of garden to look after?
Reply 76
A pet would be a good idea - if you get a cat which has been looked after by elderly people who have been put into a home or died they are always really dope and easy to look after - we have two cats whose first owners were elderly and they are no trouble.
Reply 77
Without knowing what her coordination is like and the degree of control she has over her hands and fingers, this may or may not be suitable.

Have you thought about sewing or crocheting of some sort? You can get cross-stitching booklets with step-by-step instructions to create patterns, or depicting pictures of simple things like houses, or animals.

If you're worried about the needles, I'm certain you can get blunted plastic ones, I remember using them in primary school.
Reply 78
How about lego? If you can get a bag of bricks (ebay?) instead of packets and a board she could make patterns, build houses etc.

Scrapbooks? Perhaps if she got a magazine each month (say, Home and Garden type ones if she likes that kind of thing) and she could cut out and keep a book of things that she likes the looks of.
Reply 79
Adhsur

In easter & summer I volunteer at a S.P.A.C.E. Playscheme with NCH, it's only from under 18's, but I'm pretty sure they have over 18's ones too, get in contact with them. It's about £6 & we take them out on day trips and have partys and go to the park, swimming as well as crafty sorta things....

Latest

Trending

Trending