The Student Room Group

BEng to MEng help!

Hello, I am currently finding out about Uni's and narrowing my searches down, but need some help/advice about some things.
The main issue is that I feel that my grades will only allow me admission into the BEng courses but I would like to achieve a MEng degree. I was just wondering mainly, is their a way to start a BEng and do a final year to achieve the MEng degree? Has anyone had any experience around this sort of thing? Or should I be contacting Uni's about this as it could be up to them?
Any advice would be much appreciated :smile:
You can contact them if you like, but typically all students are placed on the BEng (even if they apply for MEng) and their performance is monitored to see if they will be suitable for the MEng instead.

For my university, we need to obtain 65% average in our second year to move onto the MEng degree. So yes, it should be possible to upgrade the course part way through. I believe those who applied to the MEng would be up against similar restrictions regardless of what they actually applied for.

I won't be able to get the 65% average this year (my second year was awful) so I am going down the BEng + MSc route as the MSc typically has far lower entry requirements, but is still going to be quite challenging. The MEng is good as it goes on student finance and the MSc does not. Either way, options exist.
Reply 2
It varies on the university. If the only way you feel you can actually meet a university offer is via the BEng admission then go for that. Ideally, for the sake of student finance and ease of organisation down the line applying straight for the MEng is easier. That said, in most universities you can swap between both courses at the end of your first and second year depending on your grades. Typically you need 60%+ average over your first two years to be allowed on the MEng. Check individual universities.

If you can't achieve the grades by the end of the second year to transfer then you are looking at graduating with a BEng and then doing a separate MSci, which you will need to organise separate funding for.
As above, virtually all universities will allow you to transfer to the MEng as long as you achieve an average if 60% after your first or second year.

For my university you could transfer at any time between the end of the first year and the first semester of year 3.
My husband started on a BSc but he had good grades during first year so he was transferred on MEng. Definitely possible if your grades are good.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Even if you were on the MEng programme, you would still need to get above a certain mark (58% at my university) to proceed on it after third year.At my university your first year marks don't count, your second year and third year marks are the ones that determine if you are going through to the fourth year.Contact the university you are interested in to get the requirements for your particular university.

Quick Reply

Latest