The Student Room Group

I don't have the brains

hello

I want to become a highly skilled and successful scientist or engineer

however I lack the brains to do it

I don't perform well on academic environment, my memory is weak and I get easily confused

also, my brain doesn't function well enough, I don't find solutions to problems and questions, even if some of them are quite obvious, which I realize it after I am given the correct answer!

what can I do?

should I stick to some low level apprenticeship to make a living and abandon my dreams for a high class scientific/engineering career?

thanks!
Reply 1
Some people want to be professional footballers and some want to be astronauts. You're gonna have to realign your goals buddy. A highly skilled and successful scientist isn't something you're going to achieve with a low functioning brain, sorry. No point in pretending otherwise.
Nvm
(edited 9 years ago)
What do you like?
Dreams don't have an expiration date! (I think LL Cool J said that haha)

I really don't like platitudes but I think this is true. Maybe it's just the case that you haven't found a learning method that works for you? In engineering (as a degree) we learn from examples alongside working through things ourselves and then practise the **** out of them. Add a bit of project and group work and that's the whole degree. What are your A-levels like?
Reply 5
Original post by + polarity -
Dreams don't have an expiration date! (I think LL Cool J said that haha)

I really don't like platitudes but I think this is true. Maybe it's just the case that you haven't found a learning method that works for you? In engineering (as a degree) we learn from examples alongside working through things ourselves and then practise the **** out of them. Add a bit of project and group work and that's the whole degree. What are your A-levels like?

Btw the YouTube video you posted on the girl gamer thread doesn't work. I really want to watch it, what's it called?

Original post by studos
hello

I don't perform well on academic environment, my memory is weak and I get easily confused

also, my brain doesn't function well enough, I don't find solutions to problems and questions, even if some of them are quite obvious, which I realize it after I am given the correct answer!

what can I do?

should I stick to some low level apprenticeship to make a living and abandon my dreams for a high class scientific/engineering career?

thanks!

Hmm its not really about being clever, part of it is but you have to be persistent and consistent with your work.
We're all different for example it could take one person two times to memorise a page, which is probably everyone on tsr except me, but it could take others reading it a few times then writing it out. Its all about the time and effort you put in, and you will surely be rewarded for it :smile:
Try doing puzzles or exercises that will improve your cognitive functions and stop the things which are basically making you less intelligent, such as TV, its also a waste of time btw but we all still watch it.
Reply 6
http://www.reddisability.org/famous-disabled/DisFamScience.htm

All these people made it in life so you can too

Never lose hope
Just keep working on it OP, ignore that Leftee poster. You have the passion, now you just need the ability. It isn't too late yet, just work hard. Like katbob said, do puzzles, and I think you should pick up new areas, grind through exercises, be inquisitive, explore new ways of thinking and bits of knowledge. Good luck bro
(edited 9 years ago)
You should volunteer in an engineering-related workplace. See if you are really up for the challenge of becoming an engineer/scientist. Good luck!
Reply 9
I failed maths at school until the last year I began to study it hard and actually started to enjoy it. Then i went on to get an MEng with very advanced maths. In my opinion like most things in life it is practice that is more important than mythical natural levels of intelligence. If you arent truly passionate about it you and make excuses then you will probably fail though. Most engineers earn mediocre pay in the UK just now. Even with my MEng i had no chance of getting into a good company and being "successful" high paid engineer because its takes so much more. If I could go back i would rather do an electrician apprenticeship because its much easier academically, its paid from day 1, you get experience, the full pay isnt much different from most degree qualified engineers, theres more demand for jobs and theres always the option to start your own business or even do a degree later on in life

Original post by studos
hello

what can I do?

thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest