The Student Room Group

Personal statement help

Would saying I'm a "people watcher" be too informal and weird?

I don't know how to begin my PS, I don't even have anything to write in it!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yes I'm afraid that would be too informal - it doesn't really show an appreciation for the scientific-ness of the vast majority of psychology courses. There is guidance in my signature below on how to write a PS :smile:
Original post by IAmEchelon

Posted from TSR Mobile

You need to explain why you want to study psychology, what made you interested in it. People-watching isn't really relevant to a psychology degree. People sometimes mention books they've read in psychology?
Reply 3
Original post by iammichealjackson
You need to explain why you want to study psychology, what made you interested in it. People-watching isn't really relevant to a psychology degree. People sometimes mention books they've read in psychology?

I don't know any good books to read, that aren't considered "pop-psychology"

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by *Interrobang*
Yes I'm afraid that would be too informal - it doesn't really show an appreciation for the scientific-ness of the vast majority of psychology courses. There is guidance in my signature below on how to write a PS :smile:

Not even if I said how I like to see how we behave and interact in social situations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by *Interrobang*

Can you put a link on this thread please? I'm on my phone so I can't see your signature

Posted from TSR Mobile
Not even if I said how I like to see how we behave and interact in social situations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

No cos it's not done in a scientific way. And I'm on my phone so I can't link it now I'm afraid. It won't be easy to read on a phone tho. If you go onto the articles section and find personal statements there's a link on subject specific guidance - it's in there. Or search 'writing psychology personal statement' if search is working again

Posted from TSR Mobile

I used it to start off by personal statement, I just said "I enjoy observing people's behaviour within social situations and questions how and why it occurs" that makes it a bit more formal :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Couldn't you say 'through years of observing social interaction I have developed an avid interest in understanding what I am seeing in terms of psychological theory. For example whilst reading x book/paper/article where it highlighted blah blah blah....
Reply 9
Ooooo! Thank you

Am I allowed to write about my EPQ if I do it? It will be psychology related

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ooooo! Thank you

Am I allowed to write about my EPQ if I do it? It will be psychology related

Posted from TSR Mobile

Definitely include it in your personal statement! Put the full title in if it's finalised or if not say "social psychology related essay" or whatever area you plan to look into. As well as saying you're doing it say why that makes you more awesome. Has it expanded your knowledge? Given you a deeper understanding of a topic? Experience in essay writing and referencing? Sell yourself as if you were on Ebay!
Definitely talk about your EPQ and focus on why the topic and stuff you read was interesting
Reply 12
Any suggestions for wider reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile

You may find something useful here :smile:
Any suggestions for wider reading?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Look at the guidance for writing a psychology PS - there's a whole thread linked in there on resources. NOT anything by andrew sachs if at all possible!
Reply 15
How can I start it? I'm so stuck

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest