The Student Room Group

'Multicultural' curriculum the reason for poor white kids failing?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Armadillo
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/education/educationnews/10930854/Poor-white-pupils-put-off-school-by-multicultural-timetable.html

This piece from the telegraph features a report that claims white British working class students are being turned off school because the curriculum shuns British traditions.

"Researchers called on the Department for Education to develop a 'curriculum that treats white British identity in the same way as ethnic minorities'."

What are your thoughts on this?

Pretty much the end of the road: Britain stops being about universal values and becomes a set of officially-recognised ethnonationalist tribes. It's a natural conclusion of treating any ethnic group separately, but indicates the problem was with that whole policy.

That said, it's a social problem rather than an educational one. I suspect the real reason that white working class children do worse than ethnic minorities taken as a whole is that this is a pre-selected group of people who already had low aptitudes before they even entered school. In 30 years the high aptitude recent immigrant working class children with whom they are being compared will be middle class and so in turn will their children; for natives this sorting process happened 100 or more years ago.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Old_Simon
Historically though they never achieved any more when the syllabus was still full of The Battle of Trafalgar, and epic tales of Scott going to the South pole.

I think this is the real problem.

A lot of kids just don't care about history, it's not about lacking in national pride.

I went to school on an estate in Manchester that was largely 'poor white' kids and I can tell you for a fact those kids did not give two ****s about Henry VIII, the Reformation and the formation of the Church of England which is one of the main moments of our statehood and getting our identity away from overseas power, Charles I and the English Civil War. We did all this at my school and most of the kids just switched off. There was no feeling of "English pride" that made them want to study this, most of the time when the history classes were going on, they were out drinking cider outside the local Spar.

Also this was during a 17 year long Tory government as well....

Of course in the convenient story that you will hear from some on the right, back in those glory days all children turned up to school in impeccable discipline to learn about the history of their English forefathers, and it was all ruined by a Labour government and a load of non whites coming over to our schools.....sadly that story does not wash.
Original post by arrow900
OK cool down there mate.
"Shakespeare and Dickens are appalling writers..."
That quite literally renders all arguments you make from that sentence onwards invalid.
Your participation in this debate has been noted. Goodbye.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Shakespeare's importance to the curriculum is debatable because of his influence in the English language. Dickens really is total crap; all his characters are totally one dimensional and his use of language is clunky. The best writers in the English language are without doubt, either Irish or American (and I am neither Irish nor American in case you are wondering)

Deal with it :cool:
Original post by MagicNMedicine
I think this is the real problem.

A lot of kids just don't care about history, it's not about lacking in national pride.

I went to school on an estate in Manchester that was largely 'poor white' kids and I can tell you for a fact those kids did not give two ****s about Henry VIII, the Reformation and the formation of the Church of England which is one of the main moments of our statehood and getting our identity away from overseas power, Charles I and the English Civil War. We did all this at my school and most of the kids just switched off. There was no feeling of "English pride" that made them want to study this, most of the time when the history classes were going on, they were out drinking cider outside the local Spar.

Also this was during a 17 year long Tory government as well....

Of course in the convenient story that you will hear from some on the right, back in those glory days all children turned up to school in impeccable discipline to learn about the history of their English forefathers, and it was all ruined by a Labour government and a load of non whites coming over to our schools.....sadly that story does not wash.

Why should poor White kids have national pride?

100 years ago they would have been sent off to die on some field in Flanders
Reply 24
I find it funny how people are quick to blame multiculturalism :laugh: If you read the article, it clearly implies that the parents are to blame; the parents blame the school for their own incompetency.
Let's take a step back and look at this: people from poorer socio-economic backgrounds generally perform less well than their richer counterparts; the trend of other cultures is that, in spite of the poorer background, they tend to be strict(er) in pushing their kids to perform better at school (obviously this is not always the case), so it's not unreasonable to suggest that this would mean that students from other cultural backgrounds perform better than white-british students... Now the parents blame multiculturalism because it's the easy thing to blame - people always blame those "bleedin' foreigners" when they're down on their luck rather than try to better their situation :lol:
It's nothing to do with multiculturalism, it's parenting. Poor white kids are more likely to have parents who don't give a **** about education than poor kids from other ethnic groups. It's as simple as that. Poor white people are in general the lowest of the low in society for some reason. For example, a poor white woman is much more likely to be a smoking alcoholic single mother than a poor asian woman. This is just fact. I say this as a white person.
Yeah, how can you have multicultural Maths? :confused:
Original post by A Mysterious Lord
Yeah, how can you have multicultural Maths? :confused:

I think it's that lessons are skipped in order to have whole days banging on about other countries ...
Original post by stefl14
It's nothing to do with multiculturalism, it's parenting. Poor white kids are more likely to have parents who don't give a **** about education than poor kids from other ethnic groups. It's as simple as that. Poor white people are in general the lowest of the low in society for some reason. For example, a poor white woman is much more likely to be a smoking alcoholic single mother than a poor asian woman. This is just fact. I say this as a white person.

Precisely this. I feel attempts to pin their underperformance on 'multicultural curricula', whatever that means, is at best a poorly construed argument and at worst a politically motivated agenda.

For all the leftists, though, I hope they finally see the irony in claims of 'white male privilege' in society when (the poor ones) are categorically the worst performing group. Rather puts paid to notions of institutional discrimination in education via racism or 'patriarchy' too. And I say this as a non-white.
Original post by Observatory
Pretty much the end of the road: Britain stops being about universal values and becomes a set of officially-recognised ethnonationalist tribes. It's a natural conclusion of treating any ethnic group separately, but indicates the problem was with that whole policy.

That said, it's a social problem rather than an educational one. I suspect the real reason that white working class children do worse than ethnic minorities taken as a whole is that this is a pre-selected group of people who already had low aptitudes before they even entered school. In 30 years the high aptitude recent immigrant working class children with whom they are being compared will be middle class and so in turn will their children; for natives this sorting process happened 100 or more years ago.

This pretty much. This is why white working class populations are often described by the word residuum, which is basically just a codeword for the socioeconomic sorting process that you just described. Of course you'll never hear this process described explicitly in mainstream discourse for obvious reasons.

There are also cultural factors too but many of these pretty much go hand-in-hand with this sorting process.
Original post by yo radical one
Shakespeare's importance to the curriculum is debatable because of his influence in the English language. Dickens really is total crap; all his characters are totally one dimensional and his use of language is clunky. The best writers in the English language are without doubt, either Irish or American (and I am neither Irish nor American in case you are wondering)

Deal with it :cool:

Philip Larkin, D.H. Lawrence, George Orwell, Ted Hughes, Doris Lessing...etc.?

I submit that you are sadly mistaken.
Looks like failings in education are just being used as a stick to bash multiculturalism with, to be expected from the Telegraph. There is no evidence whatsoever that a "multicultural curriculum" is causing poor white pupils to fall behind. The argument that some kids can't learn because they are taught about India or the boy next to them has black skin is a pathetic excuse and nothing more.

Has anyone looked at the comments on the Telegraph article? Some of them are pretty entertaining.
IMO, this is just any excuse by working class white British families who are addicted to welfare and benefits, lacking a culture of hard work and unable to motivate their children to work hard and stay in school. The reason why ethnic minorities do well, is because they have immigrated far away from their own homeland, not to claim social welfare but in-order to achieve high dreams similar to the American dream and put their children through university, .
Original post by Skip_Snip
But when the rest of the year had tedious "celebrations" of other "cultures" all the time, this can interrupt proper education.

I really doubt a significant portion of the school year consists of celebrations of other cultures.

Furthermore, it should interrupt the education of all students. Not a specific minority.
Britain will become a better place the day everyone stops making excuses after excuses.

I wonder why there isn't such a problem at schools in Oslo for example? Plenty of schools has since become places where Whites aren't the majority and 90% of those aren't that wealthy yet they generally do better in school.

End of the day it all boils down to one thing. Parents that care for their children's education to which it appears too damn many British parents don't give a damn then find excuses for it.
Kids from poor backgrounds generally perform worse in school, it cites China and India as ethnicities that performed better in spite of the fact they have markedly different cultural attitudes to education.

As someone else said this criticism could only be leveled at subjects such as history and RE. Subjects such as Science and Maths its irrelevent and English is pretty much entirely western literature with whole modules focused on Shakespeare.

Finally this "study" involved interviewing a grand total of 176 people. That is a ridiculously small sample size, too small to really mean anything. This does strike me as some one wanting to flog the dead horse of saying "multiculturalism = bad" and trying to dress it up as science whilst simultaneously doing a helen lovejoy:

[video="youtube;RybNI0KB1bg"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RybNI0KB1bg[/video]
Reply 36
To be honest, I would much prefer to learn about India than I would learn about Henry VIII making up a religion because he wanted a new wife. British history aside from the Imperial period, is so pointlessly dull. I also think that Shakespeare and Dickens are appalling writers who would never be studied on their own merit. At the same time, I question how this makes much differences anyway, mathematics and science has no cultural slant and English classes were mostly about studying writing techniques, so this seems like people complaining about nothing in my mind.

Totes legit .There's "dull" British history summed up in one sentence...
And that literary commentary:biggrin:.
Fair opinion and all I suppose-how about you move to India or whatever third world country you want to learn about so badly?If India's aloud preservation of its heritage than so is Britain.Don't like it?Leave because you don't belong.
Original post by P357
Totes legit .There's "dull" British history summed up in one sentence...
And that literary commentary:biggrin:.
Fair opinion and all I suppose-how about you move to India or whatever third world country you want to learn about so badly?If India's aloud preservation of its heritage than so is Britain.Don't like it?Leave because you don't belong.

There is only thing that is required of me living in this country and that is to obey the law.

If you don't like this, then maybe you should move to Iran, North Korea or some other totalitarian state, because clearly your opinions of how society should be run, are more in line with theirs than they are ours.

:smile:
Reply 38
Original post by stefl14

This though.
Poor people in general tend to be struggling the most.With that said, poor white people don't really have affirmative action and protection laws on their side,unlike poor minorities and such.
Reply 39
There is only thing that is required of me living in this country and that is to obey the law.

If you don't like this, then maybe you should move to Iran, North Korea or some other totalitarian state, because clearly your opinions of how society should be run, are more in line with theirs than they are ours.

:smile:

That was advice sweetheart. If you don't like the native culture than it stands to reason that you leave,right? I mean wouldn't it be more outrageous to claim that because a minority doesn't like it it needs to be changed?

Totalitarian state?as in? My opinion of hows society should be run?I don't believe i included it in that post....soo,erm,wha?:confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending