The Student Room Group

Chemistry to chemical engineer

I have been looking everywhere, however I cannot seem to find any answers anywhere else, I am just wondering if I do a degree in chemistry at university as a whole would that make me qualified to be a chemical engineer or do you need some other qualifications a well?

Thanks
Original post by LLuke156
I have been looking everywhere, however I cannot seem to find any answers anywhere else, I am just wondering if I do a degree in chemistry at university as a whole would that make me qualified to be a chemical engineer or do you need some other qualifications a well?

Thanks

No, you'd need a chemical engineering degree for that.
Reply 2
Original post by LLuke156

Thanks

Chemical engineering is quite a different subject to chemistry!! :tongue: As the above poster said, you would need a ChemEng degree to work as a chemical engineer.

You could possibly do research in a chemical engineering department with a chemistry degree in fields such as catalysis (I know of several instances of people with chemistry degrees working as researchers in ChemEng departments) but I don't think that is what you're asking. :rolleyes:
The similarities between the two stop after the name. They are very different areas.
Try doing an EngD or an accredited Masters (Msc) after your Chemistry degree. There have been few examples of people gaining chartered status as a chemeng (note: very few) but their "Chemistry" degree have been very skewed towards application or did applied chemistry...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending