The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

MA Interpreting

Hello!

Is anyone set to study in the MA Interpreting programme for September 2014/15? I'm an international student and would love to meet some fellow classmates if any of you are on here! My languages are English and French :biggrin:
ma business with interpreting here :tongue:
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 2
Well, I may soon be joining you there....I just got an email from the school that they are canceling my programme (ma interpreting) due to lack of participants, so they are offering me a spot in the ma in business translation with interpreting if I want it, or I can withdraw from the school.

I'm international so it's too late to apply anywhere else, and from what I can see, I can actually manage to take MOST of the same classes through the MA Business with Interpreting (5 out of 7) so I think I will be staying with Surrey and switching over, but I'm so shocked that I'm just now receiving the email 6 weeks before I'm meant to be moving over!
Yeah MA Interpreting and MA BTI share similar courses so don't worry. It's funny because i'm still waiting to get a confirmation for my language pair (Greek-English) in Business Translation with Interpreting! They told me that they're trying to run as many language pairs as possible and they'll know in mid-August (!) ... if the course doesn't run in my language pair, i'll probably join MA translation.
Reply 4
Yeah, they never gave me any reason to believe that my pair would have any issues, so I was surprised, but oh well! I'm glad the programmes are so closely related, and I guess gaining some skills in translation can't hurt :P Fingers crossed that your pair has enough participants!
You said in the other thread that you received your rooming placement as well; where are you going to be staying?
Thank you!

Exactly! The BTI course combines translation with interpreting which is a big plus. However, i wish we had the chance to choose more optional courses! They are extremely interesting and useful for our professional career.

I'll be staying in Hazel Farm. I might try to ask them if someone wants to swap rooms with me or if there are any cancellations. I'd prefer to live on campus but it's okay.
Hello! I'm applying to do Business Translation with Interpreting MA programme from French into English for the 2014 - 2015 academic year. I have my interpreting aptitude test‏ this week which is due to take place over Skype. Have any of you done this aptitude test? And, if so, can you offer any tips or advice? Thank you so much! Any help would be greatly received. Kind regards, Lucinda.
Original post by lwilliams14
Hello! I'm applying to do Business Translation with Interpreting MA programme from French into English for the 2014 - 2015 academic year. I have my interpreting aptitude test‏ this week which is due to take place over Skype. Have any of you done this aptitude test? And, if so, can you offer any tips or advice? Thank you so much! Any help would be greatly received. Kind regards, Lucinda.

Hey Lucinda!

Isn't it a bit late for the aptitude test? Have u received an unconditional offer?

I've passed the test so you can send me a PM :wink:
Reply 8
hello i am applying to do my MA in translation and interpreting (2015-2016) English-Arabic
can someone please tell me about the translation courses over there ?? are they good and efficient ??
PLZ HELP !!!!
Original post by maia94
hello i am applying to do my MA in translation and interpreting (2015-2016) English-Arabic
can someone please tell me about the translation courses over there ?? are they good and efficient ??
PLZ HELP !!!!

what's that course? is it new? give us the link to the course's page in the Surrey website.
Reply 10
Original post by Bionic_Fighter
what's that course? is it new? give us the link to the course's page in the Surrey website.

in Surrey i am only applying for interpretation sorry for the confusion .
what can u tell me abt surrey and the tran courses in general
should i consider the Business tran with interpreting ???
Original post by maia94
in Surrey i am only applying for interpretation sorry for the confusion .
what can u tell me abt surrey and the tran courses in general
should i consider the Business tran with interpreting ???

MA Interpreting did not run this year as far as i know.

I've not heard anyone doing Arabic for Interpreting but you have to contact with them first.

The university is one of the best in the UK, in general and particularly in translation/interpreting.
Reply 12
Okey thanks and yes i am going to apply soon
Wandering is it easy to finish your MA in 1 year ?
Can you have a social life and participate in student activities?
Original post by maia94
Okey thanks and yes i am going to apply soon
Wandering is it easy to finish your MA in 1 year ?
Can you have a social life and participate in student activities?

I guess it is, most taught programmes run for one year (9 months + 3 months dissertation)

I cannot really answer your question about social life because it's too early to tell but there are a lot of things to do. It's up to you, your timetable and a few other factors
Reply 14
I know courses are taught from monday till friday and considering you have 1 year to finish the MA i am concerned that i would have 3-4 courses back to back everyday

Any idea ???
Original post by maia94
I know courses are taught from monday till friday and considering you have 1 year to finish the MA i am concerned that i would have 3-4 courses back to back everyday

Any idea ???

I think you should e-mail the programme director/admissions team for more information.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending