The Student Room Group

Which Unis Should I Apply to?

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 1
it depends on ur UKCAT score, KCL, Glasgow ranks applicants according to UKCAT
(Newcastle also ranks applicants by UKCAT score but i scored 682.5 (slightly above average) and still received an offer)
you can compensate for an average UKCAT score with really gd gcses for kings
Manchester and plymouth use EBL, soo yea if you don't like that, don't apply there
Dundee has relatively fewer applicants compared to other dental unis (maybe because it's in scotland??)
Newcastle doesnt take ur GCSE grades into shortlisting for interview as long as you meet their minimum requirements btw
btw, this is the first year for leeds to use bmat, so they are still using the old method when assessing applicants (aka heavy emphasis on PS). You won't be disadvantaged by ur BMAT score. (but preparing for BMAT will be awful :wink: )
Hope that helps ^_^
Original post by koyyj127
(Newcastle also ranks applicants by UKCAT score but i scored 682.5 (slightly above average) and still received an offer)
Manchester and plymouth use EBL, soo yea if you don't like that, don't apply there
Dundee has relatively fewer applicants compared to other dental unis (maybe because it's in scotland??)
Newcastle doesnt take ur GCSE grades into shortlisting for interview as long as you meet their minimum requirements btw
btw, this is the first year for leeds to use bmat, so they are still using the old method when assessing applicants (aka heavy emphasis on PS). You won't be disadvantaged by ur BMAT score. (but preparing for BMAT will be awful :wink: )
Hope that helps ^_^

Good advice here - if you get fab UKCAT score/overall sound application and your options are open then obviously you can apply to the dental schools that most appealed when you visited. I would consider applying to universities with different interview styles - some people perform better at traditional interview, others perform better at MMI's and you don't really know which better suits you until you have been through the process.
Original post by karrar247
Hi I got my AS results today, I got enough for 3 A* predictions for next year thank god. Out of these uni's which ones should I apply to for dentistry?
Kings College London, Dundee, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle, Plymouth, Cardiff.
I won't be applying to Leeds cause of the BMAT, BARTS cause they use UCAS points, Bristol-Shefield-Birmingham-Liverpool cause they need an A in english language (I have a B) :angry:.
I am doing the UKCAT this September also and hope to achieve a respectable score fingers crossed.
Need advice from students or people who have experience in applying to dental schools in the past. THANKS!

I recommend barts, your UCAS tariff is very high with A*A*A*
Also, plymouth rank applicants based on academics for interview so if your ukcat is decent you should 100% get an interview there
Reply 4
Hi I got my AS results today, I got enough for 3 A* predictions for next year thank god. Out of these uni's which ones should I apply to for dentistry?
Kings College London, Dundee, Glasgow, Manchester, Newcastle, Plymouth, Cardiff.
I won't be applying to Leeds cause of the BMAT, BARTS cause they use UCAS points, Bristol-Shefield-Birmingham-Liverpool cause they need an A in english language (I have a B) :angry:.
I am doing the UKCAT this September also and hope to achieve a respectable score fingers crossed.
Need advice from students or people who have experience in applying to dental schools in the past. THANKS!

What did you get in your GCSE's
Reply 5
I've just got my AS results as well, and I got AABC, the B and C being in biology and chemistry (yes still really annoyed). I was wondering if any unis would still be lenient with these grades, if my predicted grades are A's and A*s?
Reply 6
Hope that helps ^_^

Newcastle looks great in my opinion and I'd really like to apply there cause of their traditional interview style. Thanks for your amazing advice, I really appreciate it :smile:
Reply 7
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 8
Hope that helps ^_^

What is EBL?
Reply 9
Original post by Raaaas
What is EBL?

enquiry-based learning, which includes PBL (problem based learning)

http://teethgeek.com/pbl1/

You can read more abt that in the link above :smile:
so if you like learning thru lectures, you wouldn't really enjoy EBL because you have to do a lot of research on ur own :P
Reply 10
I got 6A* 9A's (4 in ICT) 2B, should be good enough for those 7 unis right??

Just looked at the Cardiff website and they require A in English
http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/undergraduate/applying/admissions-criteria/dentistry/entry-requirements.html
Reply 11

Mate the website is out of date. The 2015 prospectus is more accurate, its now a B for eng. language
Reply 12
Mate the website is out of date. The 2015 prospectus is more accurate, its now a B for eng. language

Sorry :redface: I've just done my GCSE's but already done English and got a B, so I am looking at unis I could apply to, and I thought Cardiff wasn't one of them. Thanks for letting me know.
Could you link me to this page?
Reply 13
Original post by Raaaas
Sorry :redface: I've just done my GCSE's but already done English and got a B, so I am looking at unis I could apply to, and I thought Cardiff wasn't one of them. Thanks for letting me know.
Could you link me to this page?

http://www.cardiff.ac.uk/for/prospective/undergraduate/prospectus.html

Its page 60 :smile:
Reply 14

Its quite confusing because on the left side it says you need a A in English but on the other side it says you only need B.

I think you do need an A in English because it says it under All degrees, while the other one says it under B750 which is Dental Hygiene
Reply 15
Original post by Raaaas
Its quite confusing because on the left side it says you need a A in English but on the other side it says you only need B.

I think you do need an A in English because it says it under All degrees, while the other one says it under B750 which is Dental Hygiene

Oh maan.... the prospectus I have at home says B in English language, but the prospectus online says A..... Im gonna get in touch with the Uni
Reply 16
Original post by Raaaas

Oh maan.... the prospectus I have at home says B in English language, but the prospectus online says A..... Im gonna find out more about this
Reply 17
Oh maan.... the prospectus I have at home says B in English language, but the prospectus online says A..... Im gonna find out more about this

Tell me what you find out
Reply 18
At GCSE i got 6A* 5A. In alevels i got A* (chem) A*(maths) A (bio) and A (Econ-as). im taking a gap year now because my predictions last year were rubbish meaning i didnt get an interview. what is the best thing to do in a gap year to strengthen my application. thanks, also what unis weight more academically?

Quick Reply

Latest