The Student Room Group

Buying a big car for the sake of having a big car

Is anyone guilty of this ? I've always liked the bigger cars and thought they looked cool. I'm a single man but I drive a big car (Honda Accord) because it feels good.

Don't need to have a family to appreciate a family car.
I agree with you there pal. I used to drive a mint Ford Scorpio and the ride was just as smooth as an S500 benz, plus it used to demand so much of the road almost everybody got out of the way or let me out.
Original post by FuelBowser
Is anyone guilty of this ? I've always liked the bigger cars and thought they looked cool. I'm a single man but I drive a big car (Honda Accord) because it feels good.

Totally, I completely disregarded my parents advice of getting something like a Fiesta or Corsa with a smallish engine for my first car.

Instead, I went with a Saab 9-3 Aero Sport, WIN :biggrin:
Reply 3
Original post by thisistheend
Totally, I completely disregarded my parents advice of getting something like a Fiesta or Corsa with a smallish engine for my first car.

Instead, I went with a Saab 9-3 Aero Sport, WIN :biggrin:

You the man. Drive what you want, don't listen to others.
Reply 4

Guilty? Interesting choice of words...
I figure it's my money I'll spend it how I like. :cool:

We've only got 2 cars at the moment. Historically we've had up to 5 at once, but all the maintenance started to suck the fun out of ownership.
Ultimately, I think you should just drive what makes YOU happy and not worry about what everyone else does. I think a lot of people get suckered into the trap of buying a little 1 litre hatchback because that's what, by and large, everyone else drives.
If that's what you want / need, then fair enough, but it really should be a personal thing rather than arbitrarily picking something because that's what your friends / neighbours / co-workers drive.

For what it's worth, here's my two...
Discovery 300tdi that I restored last year:

Daimler 4 litre XJ40 that we bought last Saturday:

Reply 5
Original post by JC.
Guilty? Interesting choice of words...
I figure it's my money I'll spend it how I like. :cool:

We've only got 2 cars at the moment. Historically we've had up to 5 at once, but all the maintenance started to suck the fun out of ownership.
Ultimately, I think you should just drive what makes YOU happy and not worry about what everyone else does. I think a lot of people get suckered into the trap of buying a little 1 litre hatchback because that's what, by and large, everyone else drives.
If that's what you want / need, then fair enough, but it really should be a personal thing rather than arbitrarily picking something because that's what your friends / neighbours / co-workers drive.

For what it's worth, here's my two...
Discovery 300tdi that I restored last year:

Daimler 4 litre XJ40 that we bought last Saturday:

I think I'm in love with the Daimler

It has a rear bench rather than 2 seats I notice, that's unusual for a Daimler

Looks similar to a Jag Sovereign, did they share platform?
I am not too keen on driving a 7 series or S-class or anything big like that. I see those cars as cars to be driven in and it has to be fairly recent ones.

I generally prefer to drive cars that are BMW 5 series sized with a high output engine, I don't do that 520i ****.

Not that keen on Passats/Mondeos/Insignias class of cars or the 3/C/A4 type cars. Generally prefer to have an Alfa Romeo, Saab or Volvo instead or rather have a full-sized SUV which I currently have as well, don't care what others think but I do like vehicles that has road presence, like it big and tall as well as intimidating :smile:
Content with my little hatchback.

I can't see myself ever driving a saloon and don't have the desire to either. I'll prob just get a bigger hatch instead :tongue:
Original post by nemothefish19

I can't see myself ever driving a saloon and don't have the desire to either. I'll prob just get a bigger hatch instead :tongue:

Your day will come :smile:
Original post by nemothefish19

It's ok. You're a girl :tongue:
Reply 10
I think I'm in love with the Daimler

It has a rear bench rather than 2 seats I notice, that's unusual for a Daimler

Looks similar to a Jag Sovereign, did they share platform?

Bench seat was a £250. optional extra on Daimlers. It's basically a Jaguar but with the 4 litre engine, Daimler badges and better / extra leather. :wink:
Reply 11
Original post by JC.
Bench seat was a £250. optional extra on Daimlers. It's basically a Jaguar but with the 4 litre engine, Daimler badges and better / extra leather. :wink:

Interesting that they charge more for the bench than the double seats

I'll take one with an LPG conversion please :biggrin:
Reply 12
Interesting that they charge more for the bench than the double seats

I'll take one with an LPG conversion please :biggrin:

Yeah, you have to pay to downgrade a Daimler. :wink: It does have better leather than the Jag version. It's lasted 20 years and it's still virtually unmarked, eh?

LPG? Nah, don't need that. It does 19mpg round town and about 26 on a run.
Reply 13
Original post by JC.
Yeah, you have to pay to downgrade a Daimler. :wink: It does have better leather than the Jag version. It's lasted 20 years and it's still virtually unmarked, eh?

LPG? Nah, don't need that. It does 19mpg round town and about 26 on a run.

I'd take the bench seats anyway as it's more practical for road trips

Sounds practically frugal !
Reply 14
I have always bought bigger cars where possible, had a couple of Mondeos and a 3 series. 99% of the time it is only me driving it, but they feel much more planted on the road and are generally more comfortable and refined.

Drove my Mum's old Corsa a few times and it felt like a tin can!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending