The Student Room Group

Cambridge Medicine applicants 2015

Scroll to see replies

Original post by a123a
But if there all sciences I heard they'll pick your top three?

It was my understanding (from the Ask an Admissions Tutor thread) that if you did Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Physics, your SUMS would be based on Biology, Chemistry, and Maths.
Reply 81
Original post by Chief Wiggum
It was my understanding (from the Ask an Admissions Tutor thread) that if you did Biology, Chemistry, Maths, and Physics, your SUMS would be based on Biology, Chemistry, and Maths.

I asked the Christ Admissions guy, and when I went for a science open day at Trinity the admissions guy said something like that as well. If they're all sciences it would be fair to pick the top three, but I always doubt myself on whether things like this are true. :s-smilie:
Original post by a123a
I asked the Christ Admissions guy, and when I went for a science open day at Trinity the admissions guy said something like that as well. If they're all sciences it would be fair to pick the top three, but I always doubt myself on whether things like this are true. :s-smilie:

Well, looking at your UMS, it wouldn't really make much difference for you anyway. As your Physics and Biology marks are essentially identical.
i know this is too early for me and perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, but by achieving only 7 A*s and 3 As in my gcses, have i ruled out my chances of applying to oxbridge and getting a realistic shot at it? i was relying on good gcse grades as i don't think my AS level UMS scores will meet the 95%+ average requirement; i'm not exceptional. :/

i don't want to apply for medicine, rather engineering. i've won the arkwright scholarship which should get me plenty of work experience over the course of the next two years, and i am extremely passionate about maths and physics and read around the subjects a great deal. i know none of this matters as i haven't even started my a-levels yet but i'd really like to know if i should bother at all :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by a123a
?? About 2.6% difference!! But I know what you mean. If they take an average of maths, chem and physics my average is 97%, but if they take Bio, chem and physics it's close to 96%.
best case scenario: taking an average of maths chem and physics
worst case scenario: take an average of bio chem and physics
Hopefully they'll be nice and do the best case scenario :redface:

Edit: Oh lol I thought you sed maths and bio, my bad

They won't do Bio/Chem/Physics, that would make no sense.

The difference between your "most relevant 3" and "best 3" is very small - it's the difference between your Physics and Biology marks.

(I edited my post after you quoted it, I intended to say "Physics and Biology" in my post, not "Maths and Biology".)
Original post by tanyapotter
i know this is too early for me and perhaps a bit of an exaggeration, but by achieving only 7 A*s and 3 As in my gcses, have i ruled out my chances of applying to oxbridge and getting a realistic shot at it? i was relying on good gcse grades as i don't think my AS level UMS scores will meet the 95%+ average requirement; i'm not exceptional. :/

i don't want to apply for medicine, rather engineering. i've won the arkwright scholarship which should get me plenty of work experience over the course of the next two years, and i am extremely passionate about maths and physics and read around the subjects a great deal. i know none of this matters as i haven't even started my a-levels yet but i'd really like to know if i should bother at all :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you haven't ruined your chances.

You can see the GCSE grades (and AS UMS) of successful Cambridge engineering applicants here: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf
No you haven't ruined your chances.

You can see the GCSE grades (and AS UMS) of successful Cambridge engineering applicants here: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/teachers/docs/student_conference_teacher_forum_presentation.pdf

that's really helpful. thank you so much!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 87
They won't do Bio/Chem/Physics, that would make no sense.

The difference between your "most relevant 3" and "best 3" is very small - it's the difference between your Physics and Biology marks.

(I edited my post after you quoted it, I intended to say "Physics and Biology" in my post, not "Maths and Biology".)

Oh the reason why I said bio, chem and physics as my worst possible average, is because I fear they might not put maths into the average as I did 2 of the modules in yr 11 and the remaining 4 this yr. I haven't resat anything and my lowest module mark in maths is 96/100ums. I don't understand, if an A level is taken a yr early (so completed in yr 12), will they use it in the average but not use it in terms of the A*A*A offer for medicine at Cambridge?
Is it true that UMS scores are rounded down..??? or do they just stay at 2dp?
Original post by aprocrastinator
Is it true that UMS scores are rounded down..??? or do they just stay at 2dp?

They just stay at 2dp. Rounding down makes no sense...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 90
Dunno whether to apply tbh. How long does it take to prepare for BMAT?

IGCSEs:
9A* 1A 1B

AS:
Biology:96%
Chemistry:98%
Maths:97%
Geography:92%
Japanese:96%
EPQ: A*

P.S I'm an International applicant
Original post by alexSH
Dunno whether to apply tbh. How long does it take to prepare for BMAT?

IGCSEs:
9A* 1A 1B

AS:
Biology:96%
Chemistry:98%
Maths:97%
Geography:92%
Japanese:96%
EPQ: A*

P.S I'm an International applicant

-_- Hm I dunno, it may be possible but your SUMS average might be a bit low. I mean they'll probably lying not even see the 9A*s and just see the B and reject you. I guess if you got 9s in sections 1 and 2 for the bmat it would be possible.

Lol btw I'm kidding. Those are awesome scores. Your average is strong, and you just need to do well on the interview and bmat and you're fine.
Reply 92
Original post by clever1diot
-_- Hm I dunno, it may be possible but your SUMS average might be a bit low. I mean they'll probably lying not even see the 9A*s and just see the B and reject you. I guess if you got 9s in sections 1 and 2 for the bmat it would be possible.

Lol btw I'm kidding. Those are awesome scores. Your average is strong, and you just need to do well on the interview and bmat and you're fine.

Thanks, how long do people take to prepare for BMAT?
Original post by alexSH
Thanks, how long do people take to prepare for BMAT?

I have no idea. I was wondering that myself.
Reply 94
Has anyone even started preparing for the BMAT? I was planning to start after my UKCAT which is in about a weeks time.
Reply 95
Hi guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked before- I've finished my A levels (achieved 4A*s), my AS UMS average was 99% last year (I didn't apply to Cambridge). Does anyone know how they will look at my UMS average- will they look at my AS average to compare me with other AS students or will they look at my overall percentage (AS and A2 combined)?

Thank you!
Original post by Thahesh
Hi guys,

Sorry if this question has been asked before- I've finished my A levels (achieved 4A*s), my AS UMS average was 99% last year (I didn't apply to Cambridge). Does anyone know how they will look at my UMS average- will they look at my AS average to compare me with other AS students or will they look at my overall percentage (AS and A2 combined)?

Thank you!

They will look at AS & A2 combined and compare your AS to A2 to see a trend. Your AS UMS is really good though, and they will love you to bits :tongue:

P.S. Been waiting for the 100th post :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by RainbowVeins
They will look at AS & A2 combined and compare your AS to A2 to see a trend. Your AS UMS is really good though, and they will love you to bits :tongue:

P.S. Been waiting for the 100th post :awesome:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi RainbowVeins, thanks for replying! How do you know that they do this?
:frown:
Original post by Thahesh
Hi RainbowVeins, thanks for replying! How do you know that they do this?

I'm also a post A level applicant and I have asked about this in the Ask an Admission Tutor thread :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending