The Student Room Group

Help in being accepted as home student!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by ibs11
So what are you gonna do?

I'll have to take a gap year. Otherwise, I'm considering about joining the college leavers programme at one of the big four but I'm not sure whether i'll be accepted or not due to the same problem
Reply 21
Original post by Surtee332
I'll have to take a gap year. Otherwise, I'm considering about joining the college leavers programme at one of the big four but I'm not sure whether i'll be accepted or not due to the same problem

Many people gets confused with the 3 year thing, I'm not sure if I get this right but I've found some useful links explaining what does 'ordinarily resident for 3 years' actually meant. From my understanding it doesn't necessary mean you should have been living in the UK for 3 straight years prior to UNI... just read the link.... you'll get what I'm trying to say...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_195928.pdf

this too.....
http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/manuals/cbtmanual/cbtm10020.htm#top
Reply 22
Posted from TSR Mobile

Or Im just day dreaming, anyway i guess w'd wait for 3 whole years my case as well...
Original post by ImRyan08
Many people gets confused with the 3 year thing, I'm not sure if I get this right but I've found some useful links explaining what does 'ordinarily resident for 3 years' actually meant. From my understanding it doesn't necessary mean you should have been living in the UK for 3 straight years prior to UNI... just read the link.... you'll get what I'm trying to say...

http://www.direct.gov.uk/prod_consum_dg/groups/dg_digitalassets/@dg/@en/documents/digitalasset/dg_195928.pdf

this too.....

have been ‘ordinarily resident’* in the UK, the Channel
Islands or the Isle of Man for the three years immediately
before starting the course.

You’re ‘ordinarily resident’ somewhere if it’s where you
normally live. It doesn’t matter if you’re out of the country
temporarily from time to time

3 years before the course, living in the UK, holidays allowed. You can't be resident and live in another country in the 3 years prior to starting your course. You can't get around that; you have to have been living in the UK for 3 straight years before your degree and registered as doing so. It just means you're allowed to have holidays but still be actually living in the UK.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by Pectorac
Again, not really. Elderly people who need support should either go into a care home, or have a live-in carer, or at least a carer who comes to the house a few times a day to help them. His reluctance to move and not look into the different options available is still no reason to relocate your family, when there were much easier options available that weren't explored properly. He could have gone into a care home in Pakistan or had house carers there, etc.

You sound cold and uninformed. Just because this is your standard or culture, it does not mean it should be so for other people. Though I am not from a background which normally lives in extended family structures, I appreciate these setups and the giving back to the elders. I think that looking after your grandad is as good a reason as any for relocating.

You can't. The whole point of the 3 year rule is that you need to show student finance that you have contributed tax money to the system, as tuition fee loans are all paid by taxpayers' money. You need to show them that you deserve 3 years of financial help by contributing 3 years of VAT and/or national insurance and income tax to the UK tax system, as a standard UK degree is 3 years long.

Again, nonsense. What if your parents are on jobseekers allowance? Do you not 'deserve' to go to university? What if the OP's parents were paying a bucket-load of tax before they left? Don't they deserve anything for their 'contribution'?

OP, my advise is that if it is feasible to come back to the UK to do your A-Levels and then take a gap year, this will be the surest way of being assessed as a home student. If this is not at all an option, then you can check to see if you are considered a 'permanent resident' of Pakistan or the UK. If you only have temporary residency in Pakistan, then the UK is most likely your permanent home and you will be assessed as a home student. I know this works sometimes but really couldn't tell you how to go about doing this though. You'll have to check with the individual universities and Google for more info.
Original post by vortex_199
You sound cold and uninformed. Just because this is your standard or culture, it does not mean it should be so for other people. Though I am not from a background which normally lives in extended family structures, I appreciate these setups and the giving back to the elders. I think that looking after your grandad is as good a reason as any for relocating.

Again, nonsense. What if your parents are on jobseekers allowance? Do you not 'deserve' to go to university? What if the OP's parents were paying a bucket-load of tax before they left? Don't they deserve anything for their 'contribution'?

OP, my advise is that if it is feasible to come back to the UK to do your A-Levels and then take a gap year, this will be the surest way of being assessed as a home student. If this is not at all an option, then you can check to see if you are considered a 'permanent resident' of Pakistan or the UK. If you only have temporary residency in Pakistan, then the UK is most likely your permanent home and you will be assessed as a home student. I know this works sometimes but really couldn't tell you how to go about doing this though. You'll have to check with the individual universities and Google for more info.

Wake up and get into the real world. The world of finance and the student finance company is incredibly cold; they will always make their best attempt in giving you the least amount of money possible and this is what they will do in the OP's situation. Haven't you seen all the threads about home students' grants and loans being taken away because of the slightest change in their circumstances?

The student finance company don't care about anyone. If your parents are on JSA, they have still paid VAT on anything they have bought, contributing to the tax system. Living in Pakistan, the OP's family have done nothing for the UK for the last few years; they can't then just expect the UK to help them when they decide to run back, at their convenience.
Wake up and get into the real world. The world of finance and the student finance company is incredibly cold; they will always make their best attempt in giving you the least amount of money possible and this is what they will do in the OP's situation. Haven't you seen all the threads about home students' grants and loans being taken away because of the slightest change in their circumstances?

The student finance company don't care about anyone. If your parents are on JSA, they have still paid VAT on anything they have bought, contributing to the tax system. Living in Pakistan, the OP's family have done nothing for the UK for the last few years; they can't then just expect the UK to help them when they decide to run back, at their convenience.

Get into the real world? I've been dealing with student finance for six years now. In the real world, in case you were wondering. And your comments are still cold and ridiculous. Please, don't apply your standards to other people. While care homes may be common practice to us, what you were suggesting to the OP is unheard of in most parts of the world. So you really need to get into the real world. Your suggestion was unrealistic and unhelpful.

Paying VAT with what? Taxpayer's money, right, as that's where the jobseekers is coming from? As far as you know, the OP's family did more than most while they were here, so again, you are making baseless assumptions.

The truth is there is no real logic to the way student finance operates.
Original post by ibs11
So about this 3 year thing, is it an absolute must to stay in the UK for the complete 3 years? or is it okay if you were living there for any time duration in the past 3 years before starting uni? For example a year or two.

I will say this - a friend of mine returned from two years studying abroad and applied to university as a home student with no problems, ie he applied after only being back for a few months. He didn't apply for student finance for risk of being caught out, so it could be that.
Reply 28

Well actually we have been contributing to the UK. Despite residing in Pakistan, we do visit frequently and my dad goes to the UK every year for two months and works with the NHS giving all sorts of taxes such as income tax. We do still have links with the UK.
Reply 29

this too.....

Just to add for the sake of completeness - Family of overseas armed forces are fine, and counted as resident in the UK.
Reply 30
Original post by vortex_199

You completely understand my situation. Thank you for the advice. Care homes aren't actually in our culture at all and if we had considered that option, it would have just been rude and disrespectful, as far as our culture is concerned. Furthermore, there is no concept of care homes here so that wasn't at all possible.

We were living in the UK for 7 years and paying tax and everything. We had to move away and that would mean me being out of the UK for 4 years but despite that, still visiting and working there.

I don't think going to UK for my A levels would be an option for us. I did speak to some of the universities I was interested in, and they said that if you have been absent, then in most cases if you are able to show some evidence that you do have links with the UK and that if it weren't for the 'moving away' situation, you would've been in the UK; then you are pretty much a home student. I presume my dad paying income tax would be a good enough piece of evidence?
Reply 31
Original post by joker12345
I will say this - a friend of mine returned from two years studying abroad and applied to university as a home student with no problems, ie he applied after only being back for a few months. He didn't apply for student finance for risk of being caught out, so it could be that.

So he must've done his A levels from abroad? With me, I will have been away for four years having done my gcses and A levels from abroad so my situation is a little complex
Reply 32
Original post by ibs11
Hi guys,

I have a little bit of a problem with applying to university. Basically, I was living in the UK for a good 6years uptil year 9 and then we had to move away because my dad got employed abroad so I've done my GCSEs from Pakistan and I'm gonna do my A levels from here too. I have a British passport and I want to go back to UK for university but the problem is I NEED to be accepted as a home student because international fees are TOO DAMN HIGH! (£9000 against £20,000) btw I want to do medicine.

Any ideas on what I should do? or anyone who has been in a similar situation, pleaseeee help!

I'm in a similar position. Im from scotland but moved overseas in 2003 because my dad got a job in asia on secondment.

the rules for saas (and i think its fairly similar for england) is that you need to be an ordinary resident in the uk for 3 years prior to the first day of the academic year (1st of August). But this doesn't mean you actually have to live in the UK.

If you there is a temporary break in residency you may still be eligible for finance/home status. one of these is that you moved overseas due to your parents work. But the key thing here is that your parents must be viewed as having a temporary break in residency. So in my case my dad was employed in the UK but was moved overseas on secondment. therefore he was employed in the UK and his contract was temporary. if your parents have a local contract then i think its probably unlikely you'll get funding from SFE but you need to apply to your university to determine your fee status.

you should call ur university to get the fee status forms asap to determine your fee status.

I got home fees and student finance
Reply 33
Original post by MC9591
I'm in a similar position. Im from scotland but moved overseas in 2003 because my dad got a job in asia on secondment.

the rules for saas (and i think its fairly similar for england) is that you need to be an ordinary resident in the uk for 3 years prior to the first day of the academic year (1st of August). But this doesn't mean you actually have to live in the UK.

If you there is a temporary break in residency you may still be eligible for finance/home status. one of these is that you moved overseas due to your parents work. But the key thing here is that your parents must be viewed as having a temporary break in residency. So in my case my dad was employed in the UK but was moved overseas on secondment. therefore he was employed in the UK and his contract was temporary. if your parents have a local contract then i think its probably unlikely you'll get funding from SFE but you need to apply to your university to determine your fee status.

you should call ur university to get the fee status forms asap to determine your fee status.

Did they(the finance) ask you to provide evidence of residency in the 3 years prior to uni?
Reply 34
Original post by MC9591

So when you applied and you obviously must've told them that you haven't been in the UK for the past 3 years and have done your gcses and A levels from abroad. When you applied as a home student, wAs it a smooth procedure or did they ask you for documentary evidence or ask you to fill out any fee status forms? If so, could you please tell me what documents you provided them and what reason you put down for being away?
Reply 35
Did they(the finance) ask you to provide evidence of residency in the 3 years prior to uni?

yes. things like proof of my parents owning a house in the uk and my parents work contracts
Reply 36
Original post by ibs11
So when you applied and you obviously must've told them that you haven't been in the UK for the past 3 years and have done your gcses and A levels from abroad. When you applied as a home student, wAs it a smooth procedure or did they ask you for documentary evidence or ask you to fill out any fee status forms? If so, could you please tell me what documents you provided them and what reason you put down for being away?

i applied as a normal home student but they knew i was an overseas student because my school was from overseas. they sent me fee questionnaires to determine my status.

i put down that i was temporarily away because my parents were working overseas. I gave them copies of my dads contracts. they were all temporary contract from the UK
Reply 37
Original post by MC9591
i applied as a normal home student but they knew i was an overseas student because my school was from overseas. they sent me fee questionnaires to determine my status.

i put down that i was temporarily away because my parents were working overseas. I gave them copies of my dads contracts. they were all temporary contract from the UK

We down own a house in england, but I'll probably be able to provide the contracts. I presume that should be alright. Were you away from 2003 till now?
Reply 38
Original post by ibs11
We down own a house in england, but I'll probably be able to provide the contracts. I presume that should be alright. Were you away from 2003 till now?

came back last september. i would suggest you contact the units to get confirmation on it because each case is different so don't assume you'll get it.

good luck tho
Reply 39
Original post by MC9591
came back last september. i would suggest you contact the units to get confirmation on it because each case is different so don't assume you'll get it.

good luck tho

Nobody is confirming because they say until and unless you submit an application, nothing can be said. I'm going to apply next year. Hopefully it'll work out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending