The Student Room Group

How do YOU think the BBC should be paid for?

Scroll to see replies

James, I completely disagree with the majority of your post, but no matter what I come back with I know that you won't be appeased so I'm just going to agree to disagree here.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I strongly disagree with the flat rate on everyone, regardless of if they have a TV. I heard that they were considering doing that in the news a few months back. I would definitely not pay that.

It's a tricky subject but generally I disagree with the TV license as I rarely watch any of the BBC channels but it's something that has to be paid for an easy life. It's better than having those BBC men at your door, lol.
I still believe A TV license is the best way of ensuring the BBC can produce high quality broadcasts. Adverts are a massive time waste and I would much rather have an ad-free experience. I feel having a taxable portion of an individual's income is a viable option but many people are disgruntled with the sheer volume of taxation they are coping with and since not all are regularly TV viewers it is most likely unfair to tax those who will have no benefit from what that taxation will fund. As for subscription they are too much hassle to maintain if those by Sky and other networks are anything to go by so in my opinion; a TV license is the way forth. If it ain't broke don't fix it :smile:
Original post by Jacob-C
Through paying the license fee. If you do not want to watch the BBC then do not pay the license fee, if you do then you will be contributing to an institution which is globally recognised and a symbol of Britain. Programmes such as Top Gear, Doctor Who and others generate a huge amount of revenue through outsourcing, so we get this money back which then goes back into the country in some way. Not to mention it is one of the very few media outlets not owned by Rupert Murdoch.

But you don't get the option of not paying the license fee unless you are willing to risk legal sanction. Why the hell should I have to risk incurring a criminal record, which is what legal sanction entails, simply because I refuse to pay for a service which I do not use or wish to use. It is perfectly possible to watch television without ever touching the BBC or any programming produced by it (I manage to do it), even if one limits oneself to freeview, so why on earth is nevertheless it mandatory to pay for the BBC? If you think the BBC is such a good institution or that it produces good programming then nobody is saying you can't watch it or enjoy it, rather that you should pay for it your god damn self and stop being content to have your so-called "quality" programming funded by extorting money out of the rest of us who happen to own a television for the occasional time when we want to watch live TV programmes which are not produced by or aired on the BBC.
I wouldn't object to adverts being shown on the BBC. Making it subscription-only seems a bit elitist and just a bit wrong.
I think the BBC should be funded through adverts. However, from what I have read, nobody has brought up the idea of privatising the BBC. This solves the need for the apparent "impartiality" of the BBC. Has anyone seen BBC North West News far from impartial, so left wing it's unbelievable, to think I've paid for that rubbish.

The idea of advertising is not the problem. It's the dam adverts themselves, I think if advertising was more like it was back in 2002 - 2005 ish, with a different advert every time instead of the same annoying one again and again, people wouldn't be so closed off to the idea. Also someone for the love of god get rid of PPI adverts and phone calls, no one gives a **** anymore, and those accident adverts. You had an ACCIDENT? Get over it, it's called an accident for a reason. I'm going to stop now, going off topic, I just go into a ranting mood with the thought of PPI! :angry:
Reply 106
I personally don't think that the BBC should be funded through adverts, or if it is, the adverts should be short and limited to the ends of programmes. One of the things that I like most about the BBC is that you can sit down to watch a show, knowing that you will be watching it uninterrupted.

I wouldn't mind if the BBC were state funded to a certain extent as well, because of the services that they provide that we don't have to pay for via the license fee (radio, website...)
Original post by Andy98
What I find annoying is the fact that if you get a small TV that's only ever going to be used as a computer screen you still have to pay the TV licence!!:angry::mad:

As for the OP, I'm debating between adverts and a subscription.

No, you don't. You do not need to pay the TV licence unless you are receiving TV transmissions. If you have the CAPABILITY of receiving TV transmissions but are not in fact RECEIVING them, you do not owe the Government one penny.
Alright - I think it's time to put my view on this.

I don't want a subscription to the BBC, I don't want it to suffer the same fate as Sky Atlantic.

I would rather have the BBC continue to sell rights to the shows being aired internationally, and actually bring the shows to more countries like Russia.

And something else I'd like to see - one Russian channel uploads their shows online (actually before they even air on TV!) and they make their money on adverts in the website. And that's not a state owned channel, it's a private one.

I'd like to see the BBC do this for all their shows - because, heck, there are some episodes of certain shows that I missed and I wouldn't mind seeing adverts if I could finish watching all those shows.
The BBC should never have adverts! I would pay TV licence for all of the channels if it meant no adverts, however i think the TV licence should NOT work like a driving licence, it should work that the TV only works once you have paid the fee and then cut off if you don't pay it, like how water, electricity and internet work. This would save the cost of having TV licence inspectors and mean bring down the fee of the TV licence as more people would be forced to pay it, meaning that each person would need to pay less!
Hmmm take your kid out of the NHS the govt throws you in prison

Decide you dont want to pay for Government social engineering and repeats of 5 year old TV shows and the govt throws you in prison

Welcome to modern Britain
Original post by TheNervousWreck
The BBC should never have adverts! I would pay TV licence for all of the channels if it meant no adverts, however i think the TV licence should NOT work like a driving licence, it should work that the TV only works once you have paid the fee and then cut off if you don't pay it, like how water, electricity and internet work. This would save the cost of having TV licence inspectors and mean bring down the fee of the TV licence as more people would be forced to pay it, meaning that each person would need to pay less!

So you want to use excessive force against private individuals over a measly £150 for a billion dollar corporation ? Just because you like the BBC tyranny of the majority !

Computers still work with out a internet subscription and electrical items can run on batteries. you have a choice of which broadband company you dont with the BBC.
More money for the BBC would not bring down the fee it would just make the BBC spend more money
I much prefer to watch a straight hour long show on BBC than a 47 min ITV one filled with adverts. I must have watched that "Cilla" advert about 50 times in the space of a week!!

It's a small cost that I'm happy to continue paying

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Motorbiker
Same. :five:

Quick related question, If BBC was funded through a subscription service of say £9.99 a month. Would you pay for it to get access to iplayer/BBC TV etc?

Yea but maybe use the increased money to have more channels so the same amount in total?

I hear Top Gear selling overseas makes millions each year. Add in Doctor Who and others and we should be able to get BBC for free soon. :tongue:

Do you know where that money currently goes? Is that not included in the BBC budget already?

Just reading your post now - last year the BBC's commercial activity, e.g. royalties from programme sales, returned about £174 million to the BBC for investment in content and programmes. The total licence fee income collected was about £3.7 billion, which mostly went to the BBC but some of which went to fund other things, e.g. about £242 million went to fund broadband rollout, S4C (the Welsh language broadcaster) and local TV. Over £1 billion was spent on TV content for BBC One.
Original post by Huskaris
I agree, it is also probably my favourite BBC Channel, but it was one that they were talking about axing recently... Lets not forget huge shows like Little Britain started there... It is effectively the BBC equivalent of E4, and that seems to do ok.

Tradition pretty much sums it up. £145.50 a year for tradition... Haha

The BBC notes that the licence fee works out at 40 pence per household per day for all its services. Do you think this offers good value for money?

As you point to in your post, the BBC is proposing to move the programmes and content it shows on BBC Three to online only, and to close the channel as a broadcast TV service in autumn 2015. What is your view on this proposal? Do you think you would be as likely to watch as much BBC Three-type content via iPlayer as you do now on TV?
Original post by Swanbow
More channels would be good. I still wish the BBC would run a classics channel, showing re-runs of older shows like UKTV Gold.

Aye, the BBC make a fortune through their programming. It most likely does, but I can guarantee you it will never equate to a reduction in the licence fee :lol:

Did you know that BBC Worldwide, the BBC's commercial arm, owns a 50 per cent stake in UKTV? Last year, through its commercial activity, BBC Worldwide returned about £174 million to the BBC to put towards content and programming. Do you agree that the BBC should raise revenue in this way through commercial ventures such as channels like UKTV?
Original post by Official House of Commons
Just reading your post now - last year the BBC's commercial activity, e.g. royalties from programme sales, returned about £174 million to the BBC for investment in content and programmes. The total licence fee income collected was about £3.7 billion, which mostly went to the BBC but some of which went to fund other things, e.g. about £242 million went to fund broadband rollout, S4C (the Welsh language broadcaster) and local TV. Over £1 billion was spent on TV content for BBC One.

Interesting. I thought a lot more money would be made off the success of Doctor who and Top Gear overseas.

The BBC notes that the licence fee works out at 40 pence per household per day for all its services. Do you think this offers good value for money?

40p per day adds up to £150 for the year (ish) which is a lot of money for students. That's a month of food with enough left for some nights out. A lot of money.
Original post by overthelove
I went for the adverts option. Even if it means sitting through 3 minutes of annoying breaks every so often. If BBC had adverts, does it mean that they would have to reduce the length of TV shows? Because for some soaps it's annoying waiting 30 mins for a big revelation :tongue:

If the BBC raised revenue through running adverts on TV, what impact would this be likely to have on commercial public service broadcasters, such as ITV and Channel 4, and their budgets for new content and programming?
Original post by Motorbiker
Interesting. I thought a lot more money would be made off the success of Doctor who and Top Gear overseas.

40p per day adds up to £150 for the year (ish) which is a lot of money for students. That's a month of food with enough left for some nights out. A lot of money.

An interesting point too. The Committee will be meeting with the Government Minister responsible for broadcasting matters and also the BBC Trust in October to question them about the BBC and how it is funded. A question that Members might wish to cover with them is about affordability of the licence fee for students. Thanks for your comment.
An interesting point too. The Committee will be meeting with the Government Minister responsible for broadcasting matters and also the BBC Trust in October to question them about the BBC and how it is funded. A question that Members might wish to cover with them is about affordability of the licence fee for students. Thanks for your comment.

The worst thing about students is the rules in some accommodation where each student needs their own license instead of sharing one for everyone. E . G. in halls

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest