The Student Room Group

What should I do?

I got my results and I got into a uni about an hour away but reality hit and now I'm not so sure I want to move away. A uni near home is 20 minutes away by car and I would get one if I stayed home. Many of my friends are moving away 2 are going where I would have gone but I would probably never see them yet I feel if I stay at home I'm going to lose all my friends. I'm just so confused as what to do I don't feel ready to move away and don't think id be happy for 3 years away. I've done pros and cons list but it didn't work I need someone to help
Original post by Depressedgirl
I got my results and I got into a uni about an hour away but reality hit and now I'm not so sure I want to move away. A uni near home is 20 minutes away by car and I would get one if I stayed home. Many of my friends are moving away 2 are going where I would have gone but I would probably never see them yet I feel if I stay at home I'm going to lose all my friends. I'm just so confused as what to do I don't feel ready to move away and don't think id be happy for 3 years away. I've done pros and cons list but it didn't work I need someone to help

Pre uni nerves are normal. Remember almost everyone moving away is in the same boat. I would say move away and try it out and the doubts should settle.
It's perfectly possible to still see friends even if they and you move out - I and everyone I know at uni has managed this. Many universities have limited parking for students so driving might not always been an option.

Generally the pros of moving out are:
-Greater independence- you are free to come and go as you please
-Immediate group to go to freshers events with
-Generally you can get up later and you may be able to go home during large gaps you have in a timetable
-Easier to take part in student events such as society meets which might be in the evening

And only being an hour away makes it easy enough to come back for visits.

Cons
-Can be noisy in halls
-Have to cook/wash up/ do own washing but you gotta start somewhere with those things

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending