The Student Room Group

Geology

Hi guys. I have got my results for gcse's, and have acheived 3 A*'s, 8 A's and 2 B's.
I want to take geology as a degree, so which on of these A lecvels are better to take?
I am choosing from;
Chemistry, Maths, Ethics and philosophy, History or classical civilisation, Geography and if I take it woith chem, then applied science as a fifth option.
I got an A in physics, but is physics really really hard at A level??
Original post by Robb Boratheon
Hi guys. I have got my results for gcse's, and have acheived 3 A*'s, 8 A's and 2 B's.
I want to take geology as a degree, so which on of these A lecvels are better to take?
I am choosing from;
Chemistry, Maths, Ethics and philosophy, History or classical civilisation, Geography and if I take it woith chem, then applied science as a fifth option.
I got an A in physics, but is physics really really hard at A level??

If you want to do Geology, you'll want to have mainly science subjects. Maths is probably a good idea, and definitely either Chemistry or Physics (or even better, both). Geography could be of limited use. Ethics and Philosophy and Classical Civilization won't be very useful, but they're fine as a fourth option. Applied Science isn't a good idea, it's not well respected. Personally, I think A Level Chemistry is harder than Physics.
Okay, thanks.
Yeah, I think I will definately take physics chemistry maths, and perhaps something like history, simply due to how much I enjoy the subject.
Thankyou, and I definately know that I can persevere in chemistry, because I realllyyy enjoy chemistry, but mainly anything to do with geology.
Original post by Chlorophile
If you want to do Geology, you'll want to have mainly science subjects. Maths is probably a good idea, and definitely either Chemistry or Physics (or even better, both). Geography could be of limited use. Ethics and Philosophy and Classical Civilization won't be very useful, but they're fine as a fourth option. Applied Science isn't a good idea, it's not well respected. Personally, I think A Level Chemistry is harder than Physics.

Is Biology, Chemistry, Geology and Geography ok? I would drop biology or geography :smile:
Original post by Marcusroye98
Is Biology, Chemistry, Geology and Geography ok? I would drop biology or geography :smile:

I would drop geography for physics, or maths, because that is the sort of stuff that the degree will include.
Original post by Robb Boratheon
I would drop geography for physics, or maths, because that is the sort of stuff that the degree will include.

I am not really interested in taking physics or maths thats why i want to do a geochemistry degree :smile:
I would hate to do physics or maths.
Entry requirements say: two science subjects and geology and geography are inlcuded.
So surely doing bio chem geology and geography would be ok??
Original post by Marcusroye98
Entry requirements say: two science subjects and geology and geography are inlcuded.
So surely doing bio chem geology and geography would be ok??

Yepp. But the degree does bring in calculus and chemistry, so on the long term, you are defining your self by taking more academic options, whilst also getting a better insight into what you will be doing at degree level.

Quick Reply

Latest