The Student Room Group

Maths HL necessary for Chemical Engineering?

Hi,
I'm about to start my IB and need to know which courses I should take.
I would like to study something to do with Chemistry at university (e.g. Chemical Engineering, Chemist etc.) but I don't know whether I need Maths at HL for it. I got an A* in my Maths IGCSE so am capable of doing the course however would rather avoid it due to it being extremely difficult.
If anyone could help in telling me if I really need Maths HL it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply 1
You NEED it. I can't stress that enough.

If you want to go to a British university they are most likely going to ask for it (of course, there are exceptions).

If you want to study in the US, they will like to see it, but it is in no way a requirement.
Reply 2
Original post by leprechaun426
Hi,
I'm about to start my IB and need to know which courses I should take.
I would like to study something to do with Chemistry at university (e.g. Chemical Engineering, Chemist etc.) but I don't know whether I need Maths at HL for it. I got an A* in my Maths IGCSE so am capable of doing the course however would rather avoid it due to it being extremely difficult.
If anyone could help in telling me if I really need Maths HL it would be greatly appreciated.

It honestly depends on where you'd like to study. With that being said, I'd personally take higher level maths regardless if I were in your place as it will benefit you a lot in the long run. As a future engineer you shouldn't shy away from challenging maths classes as you'll be doing much much harder ones at university.

British universities require higher level maths for ALL engineering courses so there is no way around it. American universities don't have any set subject requirements for majors but like I mentioned before taking higher level maths will benefit you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending