The Student Room Group

why do people buy textbooks (as opposed to dling their associated PDFs)?

What's the catch?
Are all textbooks in pdf form for download free?
Original post by Old_Simon
Are all textbooks in pdf form for download free?

No but your Uni should have a subscription with e-book publishers
Because not every course/university wants students to use PDFs as a source for their bibliography/references
I like real textbooks rather than electronic ones.

I do read a lot of fiction on my kindle though.
Sometimes it can just be nicer to use a textbook rather than a PDF as a most basic reason. Reading PDF textbooks gives me a headache after a while. (Plus that new textbook smell....I LOVE IT.)
Original post by arson_fire
I prefer textbooks. I find it quicker to flick through them when i`m looking for something, and it`s easier to have several open at once rather than loads of windows on the monitor.

It's also easier to annotate too :smile:
I can't sit and read an online pdf for hours, and I'm sure as hell not going to spend time printing it off when someone has already done it for me and put it in book form haha.
Original post by simplylldxo
It's also easier to annotate too :smile:

Original post by arson_fire
I prefer textbooks. I find it quicker to flick through them when i`m looking for something, and it`s easier to have several open at once rather than loads of windows on the monitor.

iannotate makes those things ez
Original post by simplylldxo
Because not every course/university wants students to use PDFs as a source for their bibliography/references

it's a direct copy - they'd never know!

Original post by Glenholmes
Sometimes it can just be nicer to use a textbook rather than a PDF as a most basic reason. Reading PDF textbooks gives me a headache after a while. (Plus that new textbook smell....I LOVE IT.)

id like to carry around as few books as possible

thanks for replies :smile:
Reply 9
1. I like reading the actual book in my hands

2. It's good for display.
Original post by dire wolf
iannotate makes those things ez
it's a direct copy - they'd never know!

id like to carry around as few books as possible

thanks for replies :smile:

They can check for the authenticity of the source!
A lot of them are on Knovel which is a pain in the arse as you can't get an entire book.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending