The Student Room Group

Do religion and faith create anti-intellectuallism?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by RFowler
Religion can promote anti-intellectualism when people take their religion too seriously - they are the sort of people who believe in creationism and refuse to listen to evidence they disagree with about evolution because they've already decided that they believe creationism is true based on their own biases - confirmation bias.

You mean people who are practising religious people?
Original post by clh_hilary
You mean people who are practising religious people?

Not exactly. There are people who are religious but accept things like genesis as religion, not something that actually happened. Especially here in the UK. Young Earth creationists tend to be an American thing.

It is for similar reasons that religious people don't stone gay people to death, execute the victims of rape or ban the growing of 2 different crops in the same field - historical context is important.
Original post by RFowler
Not exactly. There are people who are religious but accept things like genesis as religion, not something that actually happened. Especially here in the UK. Young Earth creationists tend to be an American thing.

It is for similar reasons that religious people don't stone gay people to death, execute the victims of rape or ban the growing of 2 different crops in the same field - historical context is important.

That does actually mean these people, including you, do not see The Bible as god's words. Meaning: You're not that religious at all.

God is supposed to be all-knowing, all-powering, everywhere, good, and timeless. Historical contexts would not make stoning rebellious children to death a moral thing. That is, unless you admit that god was pretty primitive and limited by the historical context like ordinary humans were.
Original post by Reluire
I have been reading about anti-intellectualism as of late and I am wondering whether religious institutions, holy scriptures and faith create it.

Anti-intellectualism is hostility towards and mistrust of intellect, intellectuals, and intellectual pursuits, usually expressed as the derision of education, philosophy, literature, art, and science, as impractical and contemptible

Let's consider such question logically.

"Does all religions and faiths create anti-intellectualism?"

No, religious institutions, holy scriptures, and faith do not create hostility towards and mistrust of intellect, intellectuals, and intellectual pursuits (examples provided in definition quoted above.

As stated by others, to consider "all" is inaccurate, as it is also illogical.

Pray, might you describe what is intellectual and who is an intellect?

Christians and Muslims, for example, often defend their holy books as inherent, unquestionable and timeless truths that cannot be disputed because they are 'the word of God'. Empiricism becomes irrelevant because, in the eyes of a devout religious believer, it's subordinate to God. Everything is subordinate to God, and as inferior humans we should just accept that and give thanks to God.

Empiricism:
the theory that all knowledge is derived from sense-experience. Stimulated by the rise of experimental science, it developed in the 17th and 18th centuries, expounded in particular by John Locke, George Berkeley, and David Hume.

1. Not all Christians and Muslims are defined as you provided. I have heard some to describe the opposite (radio).

2. All of life is not based on "experimental science." Impulse buying, relationships, love, and other aspects do not need nor do we act on "experimental science." If not everything based on "experimental science" then we are safe to presume somethings may not require it.

3. If presented with a question or decision (possibly moral) we may develop our own answer by thinking about possible outcomes - not experimenting with each outcome. Such thought process is not simply dissected based purely on what has been experienced or done so "orderly." Instead this process may be compared to a roller coaster; e.g. sexual harassment.

The Enlightenment of the 18th Century obviously went a long way to countering anti-intellectualism, but it doesn't change the issue that religious scripture and those who follow it may be avid promoters of anti-intellectualism by using their faith in a god and scripture to answer all problems.

Perhaps all problems may be answered? Either way, searching outside science to find an answer to a moral decision is 100% logical. By what means may science help solve a moral dilemma that occurs when I watch my co-worker over charging customers to skim some for him/her self?

Trinity

Above link provides a historical master piece still studied at schools. It is among the first work of arts to present depth in a painting. As you may tell, it was completely inspired by religious affection and faith.

I picked this quote from the Bible because it demonstrates the common belief that God 'causes all things to work... according to His purpose'. This kind of claim, which is supported by nothing empirical, is a key example in how religion, namely Christianity, promotes the idea that only the word of God is valid. Anything that humans discover is irrelevant because God is the creator and designer of all, and everything was within His plan.
I have never heard any Christian claim what you just typed. Zero. I do hear, and quite often, that the things we discover about our universe/world is a blessing. A gift that should not be taken lightly and for granted.

Not everyone lives their live according to such sayings (as I mentioned) and various education institutions have provided studies that claim materialism and other selfishness promote living "in a void" and absent minded to the good things around us.

http://news.illinois.edu/news/13/1125materialism_AricRindfleisch.html

The above is "evidence" towards the support of abandoning materialism, in which some religions had already regarded as bad. Did we really need some scientists to provide "proof" - no. But I thank them for their studies into the human mind. It was a rather interesting reading.

So, I pose the question: are religion and faith both prominent in creating anti-intellectualism? If holy scripture is timeless, as it is usually claimed to be, then religion must be judged throughout time rather than just how we view it in the present.
What? It is always the present. that is the only time frame we live in. the past is gone, and the future is not a guarantee. Instead, we should judge ourselves in the present so we may presently provide our selves a present understanding on how things are now.
This quote describes monotheism nicely - "the source of man's unhappiness is his ignorance of Nature. The pertinacity with which he clings to blind opinions imbibed in his infancy, which interweave themselves with his existence, the consequent prejudice that warps his mind, that prevents its expansion, that renders him the slave of fiction, appears to doom him to continual error."

- Baron d'Holbach
Reply 45
Original post by Bushido Brown
This quote describes monotheism nicely - "the source of man's unhappiness is his ignorance of Nature. The pertinacity with which he clings to blind opinions imbibed in his infancy, which interweave themselves with his existence, the consequent prejudice that warps his mind, that prevents its expansion, that renders him the slave of fiction, appears to doom him to continual error."

- Baron d'Holbach

he must have had a weird upbringing and ended up blaming religion for it..
Original post by saalih
he must have had a weird upbringing and ended up blaming religion for it..

Do you even understand any of it, or is your brain so severely damaged that you need to conjure up some bull**** explanation to cover up for your mental deficiency?
Reply 47
Original post by Bushido Brown
Do you even understand any of it, or is your brain so severely damaged that you need to conjure up some bull**** explanation to cover up for your mental deficiency?

no need to get so emotional about it.

I understood it and that is why I said what I said, these people either had weird upbringing or just know about a particular religion and put all religions in the same basket.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending