The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Why do guys do the same with cars/watches/needlessly expensive sports kit?

We all do it, greed and a desire for more of X, Y or Z is what keeps capitalism going, very few people are 100% satisifed with their material lot in life.
Because we crave the status and glamour that makes us feel fuzzy inside, and for girls that means shoes and handbags.

A related thing could be that a lot of girls seem to like the activity of shopping itself, possibly because it resembles the ancestral gatherer role, and buying stuff you don't really need is a common by-product of that. This probably applies more to tops and cheaper things, though, rather than expensive shoes.
Original post by Psyc_Girl
Haha, stereotypical much? Not every girl does that!

Original post by inachigeek21
Hey, I'm a girl and I don't do that, and I never will.
Make it specific; it's only 'some'

I said "so many girls" didn't say "most girls" or "all girls". I'm fully aware of the fact that it could be a minority who do it !
Original post by Novascope
I'm not one of those girls, and to be honest I don't even think it's a lot of girls because shoes these days cost a lot of money and not everyone has money to buy loads of shoes.

Also, why does this bother you so much? I get that it's silly to love materialistic things, but seriously, it doesn't hurt you...

Hello friend, I didn't say it bothered me, I was just curious aha. I think it's interesting, rather than bothersome :tongue:
I like pretty things. But then I spend the bulk of my money on food or DVDs, or music. Unless I fall into the trap of buying books for my Kindle. Did that on holiday and then cried when I saw my bank balance. But I don't tend to get rid of clothes very often, unless it's riddled with holes, I tend to keep it. But either way, I don't see how buying clothes or shoes makes me any less worthy of being taken seriously?
Original post by Tennumbers
I have two going out shoes.. one casual wear.. one uni.. one work.. and I'm a girl

I hate shopping. I'm a girl.

:hat2:

I hate shopping too :redface:
Reply 26
Original post by iAre Teh Lejend
Why do so many girls feel the need to buy dozens of shoes at the least ? Most of which they only wear once. Ditto with clothes in general, many girls buy hundreds of garments, some that they actually never end up wearing.

Bonus question:
And then with all this clothes, they still 'need' to go clothes shopping every few weeks, why?

Lmao that is me :lol:
I have so many pairs of shoes and loads of clothes! And bags as well!!!!!! :eek:

Meh it's a force of habit :biggrin:
I said "so many girls" didn't say "most girls" or "all girls". I'm fully aware of the fact that it could be a minority who do it !

Are these 'most girls' people you know or you had observed in society?
Are these 'most girls' people you know or you had observed in society?

I don't know many girls outside of my sister, and my sisters in law, and the girls studying Dentistry with me. (very small cohort). All of these girls fit the description of my original post.

Also, girls I've observed in society, like back when I was in school/sixth form they would be wearing new clothes every single day and never go back to the first piece of clothing they wore until a few months later ahaha.
(edited 9 years ago)
Girls are more in to style in general. So yes girls spend more time clothes shopping, buy more clothes and so on, but not many guys have a very good style, a lot of guys just put on whatever and it looks pretty boring or rubbish. Cool if you want to take the view of "I don't care I'm not superficial" but a bit of effort gives you a much better image which means you will be taken more seriously by people.

It doesn't bother me if girls buy loads of clothes and shoes, the only time it's been an issue is when I've been in flatshares and the girls have wanted to take over communal space to store their clothes/shoes, eg the hallway is lined with girls' shoes, or all of the clothes hooks to hang jackets up etc are taken over by one girl putting all her stuff there.

There are guys that are in to clothes and style as well, and when it comes to spending money, well the guys nail that one. Guys that are in to style don't tend to do the cheap primark type shopping for their outfits they tend to aim up. Girls will come back from a shopping trip where they've spent all afternoon, and come back having spent £60, with about 7 items to show everyone. Whereas a guy that's in to style will pop in to one shop and come back half an hour later having spent £290 on two polos and a pair of chinos.
Original post by IqraHaq
Lmao that is me :lol:
I have so many pairs of shoes and loads of clothes! And bags as well!!!!!! :eek:

Meh it's a force of habit :biggrin:

Do you wear them all ? xD
I hate shopping too :redface:

snaps. :five:

except for if its absolutely necessary.. I won't buy anything.. that being said I spoil myself on the odd occasion. :biggrin:
Original post by Tennumbers
snaps. :five:

except for if its absolutely necessary.. I won't buy anything.. that being said I spoil myself on the odd occasion. :biggrin:

Same here ! To be honest, I go clothes shopping like once every few months, and that usually happens when my current clothes wear out or tear. But when I do go, I end up spending a lot since I get most things tailored to fit me :s-smilie:
I don't know many girls outside of my sister, and my sisters in law, and the girls studying Dentistry with me. (very small cohort). All of these girls fit the description of my original post.

Also, girls I've observed in society, like back when I was in school/sixth form they would be wearing new clothes every single day and never go back to the first piece of clothing they wore until a few months later ahaha.

Girls like to keep up with fashion.
Shoes?
I bet you were confused, like everyday.
Girls like to keep up with fashion.
Shoes?
I bet you were confused, like everyday.

Yes I was amazed. Not only about the fact that you can own so many clothes, but actually having the mind set that you sstill need more clothes ahaha.
Reply 35
I'm not one of these girls, but my mum (who of course is a mature woman, with a career and a good pay) is one of them. She owns a lot of shoes and clothing, but she wears pretty much everything she owns on a regular basis.
I don't see a problem: like most men like (or at least would like) to own a nice car, or other stuff that reflects their interests; most girls/women are interested in fashion.

It is pretty much the same as food: there are people that only eat to survive and would content with a sandwich, and others that are interested in cooking and eating sophisticated food and buy all the ingredients. The same goes with clothing.
I don't see anything wrong.

EDIT: needless to say, you shouldn't spend more than you can comfortably afford on any interest you might have. But I was taking this for granted.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by aspirinpharmacist
I like pretty things. But then I spend the bulk of my money on food or DVDs, or music. Unless I fall into the trap of buying books for my Kindle. Did that on holiday and then cried when I saw my bank balance. But I don't tend to get rid of clothes very often, unless it's riddled with holes, I tend to keep it. But either way, I don't see how buying clothes or shoes makes me any less worthy of being taken seriously?

Did anyone say that?
Original post by LavenderBlueSky88
I don't really get the shoes thing, but that's because I have stupid feet and no shoes really fit me so when I find a pair that do I wear them to death.

I'm exactly the same, my feet are a half size which is annoying by itself but they're also extremely narrow. Insoles and heel grips often aren't enough to make shoes fit so I normally just wear ones with laces and straps. Wish I could just go into a shop, see a pair I like and buy them!
Boys do that too.
:tongue:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same here ! To be honest, I go clothes shopping like once every few months, and that usually happens when my current clothes wear out or tear. But when I do go, I end up spending a lot since I get most things tailored to fit me :s-smilie:

I don't even go every few months. :lol: just go when I need to.. and its probably like 6 months later..
I get a lot of Indian suits tailored to my size... but I get a few done like once a year.. :biggrin:

Latest