The Student Room Group

Applying to uni for medicine

I have 8 A* and 3 A's at GCSE and 4 A's at AS levels with all A* predictions for A2 however I didn't do very well in my UKCAT, I have a score of 2770. Which uni's would be the best to apply to? Also I'm very confused about Oxbridge, is it worth applying to Cambridge? I don't want to waste an option but I also dont want to live with the regret that I never tried for the best uni in the country... Any advice?
I am also a hopeful medical applicant but am in a different situation to you...
The score "2770" is actually quite a good score, like it is better than the general average which is around 2400 (600 per section) and most UKCAT universities would consider you with a score like that. But I would avoid universities that only take the best "lets say 500" as it may be quite difficult with that score... But yeah, to be honest, if thinking of applying to Cambridge, I would look at your UMS and if they are all around 90% and up I would personally go for it and just try hard for the BMAT, maybe not Oxford since they would prefer 80%+ of GCSEs at A* grade, which you have pretty much got. But I would think that you have a very good chance of getting into most other universities with those grade to be perfectly honest... But hey, that is my opinion and others may disagree...
Reply 2
Original post by nkaur18
I have 8 A* and 3 A's at GCSE and 4 A's at AS levels with all A* predictions for A2 however I didn't do very well in my UKCAT, I have a score of 2770. Which uni's would be the best to apply to? Also I'm very confused about Oxbridge, is it worth applying to Cambridge? I don't want to waste an option but I also dont want to live with the regret that I never tried for the best uni in the country... Any advice?

What are your AS UMS, and what subjects are you doing?
2770 isn't bad, people get in with less.

Have a look here for where you can apply with your UKCAT: http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/UKCAT

As far as Cambridge goes it would depend on your UMS at AS, what subjects you are taking & how confident you are for BMAT.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by nkaur18

You should definitely go for Oxford-you are certainly strong enough academic wise. Just ace the BMAT and you stand a very good chance-don't live to regret it! With stats like that you should also be looking into Imperial and Kings. You'd also score highly on Hull-Yorks scoring system :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending