The Student Room Group
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath

Thinking of going to Bath

Hi,

I'm thinking of going to either Bath, Exeter or Warwick university to study Politics and International Relations/Politics and Philosophy.

I just want to know more about Bath as a uni from someone who has been there at least a year. I want to know about 3 main things.
- The nightlife, so whether its good enough in Bath (as i've heard different things). And how much a taxi to Bristol and back would cost for a night out.

- The accomodation, are the normal rooms comfortable? How is the catering at the uni?

- Are there good opportunities for part time work? Do many people work whilst they study?

Thanks in advance.
Reply 1
Original post by Karovivo
Hi,

I'm thinking of going to either Bath, Exeter or Warwick university to study Politics and International Relations/Politics and Philosophy.

I just want to know more about Bath as a uni from someone who has been there at least a year. I want to know about 3 main things.
- The nightlife, so whether its good enough in Bath (as i've heard different things). And how much a taxi to Bristol and back would cost for a night out.

- The accomodation, are the normal rooms comfortable? How is the catering at the uni?

- Are there good opportunities for part time work? Do many people work whilst they study?

Thanks in advance.

Haven't had a night out in Bristol yet so can't tell you how much the taxi is I'm afraid :smile:

I don't think the catering at the university is all that brilliant, I'm not catered but know how it works and where you are allowed to go and I think it's fairly expensive, you're better off going self catered and spending £20 in ASDA rather than having catered and then having to spend more on food.

There are oppurtunities for part time work on university campus but I would apply early as some of the jobs start as early as freshers itself. But you can also find part time jobs in town but these are less guaranteed.

I hope I have helped here a little bit :')
Freshers Week, University of Bath
University of Bath
Bath
Original post by Karovivo
Hi,

Thanks in advance.

Hi Karovivo,

My name is Claire and I am currently a final year here at Bath, so I have lots of experience with the university and the city.

Despite being a bit of a smaller city, there is plenty of nightlife in Bath catering to all tastes. There are several clubs throughout the city, with various student nights and themed nights throughout the week. There is also a nightclub on campus which runs two nights a week, on Wednesday and Saturday, both of which are really popular with students from all years. There are also plenty of bars and pubs so there is something to suit everyone.

There is plenty to do in Bristol too, the main way people go for nights out in Bristol is through society run socials. They will organise a coach to take you from Bath and bring you back again usually about 2-3am, and with so many societies at Bath, you could probably find a Bristol social every week if you wanted. I don't know the exact price of a taxi I am afraid, but with a large group of you it should be quite affordable.

There is a large range of accommodation at Bath, offering a variety of features and suiting all budgets. I personally was in Eastwood which is one of the cheaper options on campus and found it very comfortable and really enjoyed living there. To find out more about the accommodation please have a look at this website, which has lots of information and photos about all the different types. Some of the accommodation comes with catering credit, the catered accomodation at Bath is slightly different from other universities in that rather than having a traditional dining hall you get credit on your library card which you can spend at lots of the eating establishments on campus.

There is lots of opportunities for part time work, the students union has a really great service called Joblink which advertises part-time jobs that are ideal for students. There are also lots of opportunities to work on campus in the shops, bars and eateries with the work being very flexible for student timetables.

Hope this answers your questions and if you have any more please don't hesitate to ask

Many Thanks

Claire

Quick Reply

Latest