The Student Room Group

History and English literature joint honours - is it for me?

I feel adamant about this course. I have to enrol on Monday - I move in on Saturday. But I feel so scared. I'm scared the course isn't right/it's not what I desire.I feel like A Levels have sucked the passion out of me for these subjects. I am scared of seminars, lectures, the independence.. I am sorry if it sounds pathetic. I wasn't planning moving and after results, I had no choice! I just don't want to hate my course. I am not 100% sure if it's for me. I don't like sources, whereas, some people I have spoke to are 10000% sure and that's got me stressing. If I did take a gap, I would still be indecisive and I would find it a waste of time, so I won't bother. But I guess I am asking... Is it right to feel like this, to feel unsure and scared? I guess I can drop out before Saturday but I don't want to waste a year and I wouldn't probably want to go to uni after a year out, haha.
Original post by Utterly-confused
I feel adamant about this course. I have to enrol on Monday - I move in on Saturday. But I feel so scared. I'm scared the course isn't right/it's not what I desire.I feel like A Levels have sucked the passion out of me for these subjects. I am scared of seminars, lectures, the independence.. I am sorry if it sounds pathetic. I wasn't planning moving and after results, I had no choice! I just don't want to hate my course. I am not 100% sure if it's for me. I don't like sources, whereas, some people I have spoke to are 10000% sure and that's got me stressing. If I did take a gap, I would still be indecisive and I would find it a waste of time, so I won't bother. But I guess I am asking... Is it right to feel like this, to feel unsure and scared? I guess I can drop out before Saturday but I don't want to waste a year and I wouldn't probably want to go to uni after a year out, haha.

Hey,

It is super normal to feel scared about choosing the right degree. Most people tend to feel this at one point so there's nothing to be worried about. If your feeling nervous about if this is the right degree for you, talk to someone at the university and ask what their policy is on changing degrees. Rather than leaving the university (or not attending) it might be better to just look into changing to a different course/discipline if you find that History and English aren't for you anymore.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Alunzar
Hey,

It is super normal to feel scared about choosing the right degree. Most people tend to feel this at one point so there's nothing to be worried about. If your feeling nervous about if this is the right degree for you, talk to someone at the university and ask what their policy is on changing degrees. Rather than leaving the university (or not attending) it might be better to just look into changing to a different course/discipline if you find that History and English aren't for you anymore.

Thank you for your response. What course could I actually change to from English and History? I feel so anxious, and honestly, really scared! I don't want to hate the subjects. I will email the university now and ask them about changing courses, if I can change my course/leave within a month, then that would be ideal, however, I am sharing a house and I have a private landlord - wouldn't I still have to pay rent?
Original post by Utterly-confused
Thank you for your response. What course could I actually change to from English and History? I feel so anxious, and honestly, really scared! I don't want to hate the subjects. I will email the university now and ask them about changing courses, if I can change my course/leave within a month, then that would be ideal, however, I am sharing a house and I have a private landlord - wouldn't I still have to pay rent?

Hey,

It really depends on the university's policy with what course you can change to, if you can change that is. My gut instinct is that, unless you had to have an interview for the course, you should be able to get onto any course you meet the requirements for. I would guess that because you were intending to study English and History, you would be more likely to get onto another humanities related course. However, like I said, it's at the university's discretion. In terms of your landlord situation, I have no idea so it might be worth posting that as a separate thread in a finance forum on here.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending