The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Im not a partier or a drinker, so im worried about fitting in at uni :(

I really enjoy baking,sport and music, but at night, im really not one for going out drinking or staying up until the early hours so im worried about fitting in at uni when i go next year. Is there anyone else like me or will i be alone?
Original post by SophieLou_1997
I really enjoy baking,sport and music, but at night, im really not one for going out drinking or staying up until the early hours so im worried about fitting in at uni when i go next year. Is there anyone else like me or will i be alone?

There are lots of people like that at uni, so don't worry. Fresher's Week can be made a bit odd by you not drinking because a majority of people do drink quite a bit. However, Newcastle has a lot of day events and a non-drinking event every night during their Fresher's so there are plenty of opportunities to do stuff in the first week.

After that you can pretty much join societies and find ones which aren't crazy about drinking and you'll be fine! :smile:
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

There will be people like you don't worry and if your flatmates/people you meet are decent people they won't care either. Join societies related to your interests and you'll meet more likeminded people.

Are you entering 2015?
These have both made me a lot happier about this issue, thank you both so much :smile: Yes i'll be entering in 2015 doing chemistry :smile:
These have both made me a lot happier about this issue, thank you both so much :smile: Yes i'll be entering in 2015 doing chemistry :smile:

I'm entering in 2015 as well so if you ever need a friend to not drink with you can always PM me! :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
That great to know, thank you so much :smile:
Hey,

I'm a first year studying Chemistry and the fact you don't drink won't be a problem. The NUSU puts events on during the night in freshers that are specifically for people who don't/can't drink, things like comedy nights/free meals in places like nandos/cinema visits etc. Also during the day you can do loads of activities, eg this year I did bubble football, cocktail making, quad biking and mud buggying so there are plenty of ways to get involved socially other than just clubbing :smile: Although to access these you do need to buy the freshers wrist band.

Hope I helped (even though I was a bit late)
That's great, thank you very much :smile:

I'm exactly the same! I personally think it wouldnt be too problematic though. I wouldnt allow myself to be pressured into partying/drinking if i dont want to, and its still possible to do other stuff with people in the day etc. Hopefully there'll be people like us at uni! :smile:
Reply 9
Anyone looking for a housemate near ne1? I dnt drink either :-) lol
Reply 10
Anyone looking for a housemate near ne1? I dnt drink either :-) lol y

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending