The Student Room Group

Where does your university sit in the THE world rankings?

Scroll to see replies

Probably somewhere really low lmfao.
Mine's not ranked.
Original post by James A
Reading, just outside the top 200!

There, definitely goes our selling point about being a World top 1% university :lol:

Can I ask about this off repeated claim (indeed I have myself heard the V-C repeat it)?

There are about 10,000 universities in the world. How does being at about 200 (and Reading has been about 200 for some years now) amount to being in the top 1%?
Is it just me, or are the international rankings almost entirely useless? They base so much on reputation, citations and research and appear to entirely neglect a university's purpose as an educational institution that teaches and guides young (and older) people. Aside from the same few universities consistently topping the tables (as anyone would expect), there are remarkable differences to most national/regional tables in other countries. If one of the purposes of the table is to be used by current and prospective students to judge universities (on aspects that actually matter to them), then I believe it is a poor resource.
52 :smile:

1 place above Brown hehe
Reply 125
Winchester isn't on the list. Hmm.

First. Why not.
107....just outside the top 100 :|

Posted from TSR Mobile
QS rankings are such BS. Imperial 2nd? Bruh, I can smell that BS all the way from Nottingham.
43, not bad....Hong Kong is really small...so I guess having 43 is already good.
157:frown:
201 - 225 and 301 - 350

Yay :rolleyes:
121 -needs to up it's game :smile:
69th on the QS ranking though :wink:
Public spending is often not the way to solve education crisis. In fact it never does, our problem is the education paradigm, the system was not designed to prepare students for the 21st century, its an education system that has not changed since the industrial age. And hey when you economy is on the brink of collapse i.e. in a deep recession you think you've got money to waste on school facilities like swimming pools?! Our education system is still about conforming and formatting our brains for a life of subservience, looking across the atlantic, do you know what college graduates are getting employed with worthless piece of paper called a degree (with $100,000 in debt), stocking shelves and flipping burgers at Wendy's because those are the only jobs being created since the crash of 08.

If you want to get a degree, only get a degree where jobs are bountiful like engineering or science. NOT Hairdressing and salon or religious studies in subjects that you CAN do without going to university and getting into debt.
​Public spending is often not the way to solve education crisis. In fact it never does, our problem is the education paradigm, the system was not designed to prepare students for the 21st century, its an education system that has not changed since the industrial age. And hey when you economy is on the brink of collapse i.e. in a deep recession you think you've got money to waste on school facilities like swimming pools?! Our education system is still about conforming and formatting our brains for a life of subservience, looking across the atlantic, do you know what college graduates are getting employed with worthless piece of paper called a degree (with $100,000 in debt), stocking shelves and flipping burgers at Wendy's because those are the only jobs being created since the crash of 08.

If you want to get a degree, only get a degree where jobs are bountiful like engineering or science. NOT Hairdressing and salon or religious studies in subjects that you CAN do without going to university and getting into debt.
Original post by SuperiorGenius
QS rankings are such BS. Imperial 2nd? Bruh, I can smell that BS all the way from Nottingham.

Just cos Nottingham isn't on the same level as Imperial. QS rankings take into consideration the quality of research delivered by each university based on citations and are reviewed by leading academics across the world. THE consistently puts Imperial in the top 10 anyway so it's completely plausible for them to be considered amongst the world's elite universities.
Reply 136
110+e0i110+ e^{0i}
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by frozen_fire
Just cos Nottingham isn't on the same level as Imperial. QS rankings take into consideration the quality of research delivered by each university based on citations and are reviewed by leading academics across the world. THE consistently puts Imperial in the top 10 anyway so it's completely plausible for them to be considered amongst the world's elite universities.

Imperial ranked higher than Oxford and Harvard. Nice joke.
251-275!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending