The Student Room Group

Are people getting more rude these days?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by SirMasterKey
Happened to me twice in train stations recently, on the one journey. My ticket wasn't letting me in the barrier so queue to speak to the people on them. Wait patiently whilst they deal with the person already there and when they look at me just as I start speaking older women just push in front with their tickets. Unbelievable. :unimpressed:

Makes me SO mad. :angry:
Reply 21
Original post by Jimbo1234
Yes, people are far more rude due to being socially inept and unaware of what is socially acceptable.
The causes;
a) broken family homes - they have never actually seen or been raised in a normal or functional home.
b) texting and forums. People have been sheltered on forums by socially inept moderators who prevent rude people to be challenged, and texting has prevented people from learning social standards.

This is causing a major issue with hiring people for jobs as many students now fail interviews.

I don't buy this tbh. In many instances of rudeness I have experienced, it was by 30-40 year olds who looked like professionals (perhaps because they are successful they think it makes them too important for manners; I don't know). That would be one generation before the one you are describing, so I don't see the link.
Original post by llys
I don't buy this tbh. In many instances of rudeness I have experienced, it was by 30-40 year olds who looked like professionals (perhaps because they are successful they think it makes them too important for manners; I don't know). That would be one generation before the one you are describing, so I don't see the link.

Ah, the "Nouveau-riche" middle class. Rough working class people who have been successful simply due to luck BUT still have a chip on their shoulder when dealing with young people or anyone with actual class. Their reason is nothing more than insecure scum.
Out of curiosity where abouts have you come across this?
Original post by Autistic Merit
It is also now illegal for teachers to throw blackboard erasers at students who answer back.:mad:

really? my mandarin teacher leathered a sizeable rubber at my head last year. it hurt.
Reply 24
Original post by Dinaa
Why you gotta be so rood?

I'm a nice person :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin: :biggrin:

Big tune
Reply 25
Original post by Jimbo1234
Ah, the "Nouveau-riche" middle class. Rough working class people who have been successful simply due to luck BUT still have a chip on their shoulder when dealing with young people or anyone with actual class. Their reason is nothing more than insecure scum.
Out of curiosity where abouts have you come across this?

London mainly, but also in Germany. Perhaps a bit less so in Switzerland. (Still thankfully rare occurrences, I should add.)

TBH I don't see a "chip on their shoulder" or "insecurity" at all - if I had to guess at a deeper reason I would say it is probably impatience at having to deal with people who are "not important". I think it does show a lack of class, but not social class - if I had to guess I would think those people are squarely middle class, though perhaps they have inherited sharp elbows from their parents.
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 26
Original post by zKlown
Big tune

Big choonz 4 big donz.

Don Dee, u b mirin :cool:
My brother is a genuinely nice child but some of the rude language and behaviour he picks up at school is awful. When he's at home for long periods of time e.g. the summer holidays the problems seem to smooth out and my parents deal with them but as soon as he goes back to school his bad attitude returns and the teachers just don't seem to deal with it at school. Things like swearing, being leary, tantrums, attitude, answering back, fighting, awkwardness to name a few. These are things that he seemed to start doing at a much younger age than I did :smile:
Reply 28
Original post by Dinaa
Big choonz 4 big donz.

Don Dee, u b mirin :cool:

Defo mirin' babs

Quick Reply

Latest