The Student Room Group

Is it rude to tell a woman she looks tired?

Is it rude to say to ask a girl how her day has been and tell her she looks tired?

Scroll to see replies

That's very much dependent on your relationship with her.
Reply 2
Original post by 1582
That's very much dependent on your relationship with her.

I normally catch her as shes walking from work as we take the same route and use it as a convo starter lol - she walks very slow.
Reply 3
Better just to ask how her day has been
Telling her she looks tired isn't a good conversation starter lmfao...
Reply 5
Original post by Euapp

too cliche - not classy.
Dangerous territory. Asking how someone's day etc had been then following up 'wow you must be tired?' or such is far safer than essentially 'Have you been really busy? you look like ****'
Reply 7
Original post by Sorcerer of Old
Telling her she looks tired isn't a good conversation starter lmfao...

It shows that your caring about their wellbeing ......
Reply 8
I really wouldn't say so, though some people can be weird about **** sometimes. It really, really depends on the person, ultimately. If you're really unsure how someone might take it, I suppose you could try a slight change 9f wording, something like 'you look exhausted! been a long day?' might be less loaded?
Original post by Anonymous
It shows that your caring about their wellbeing ......

Even so, that kind of comment can come off as mildly insulting, similar to telling her she looks like crap. And this is especially true if you don't even know her that well.
I normally catch her as shes walking from work as we take the same route and use it as a convo starter lol - she walks very slow.

Then, yes, it would be rude. It'd come off as insulting her appearance.
hmm, personally I don't think it's rude 🤔 especially if you didn't mean it in a bad way 👍
hmm, personally I don't think it's rude 🤔 especially if you didn't mean it in a bad way 👍

That's irrelevant.

What's important is how the recipient will react to it... regardless of any "good-intentions".

In that case, maybe just try smiling at her, or simply saying a "hi" or "hey" on it's own, see how she reacts, and go from there. Chances are she's also familiar with your face, so it's not completely implausible that you could say hi to her.

Original post by Euapp

Agree with this... although maybe it might be seen as a bit nosey if they've never spoken before... I would personally start with the Hi on its own... you never know, she may be OK with chatting straight away, but probably unlikely
Have you considered just keeping your thoughts to yourself.

Most people know, it’s generally because people have stuff going on preventing them from getting more rest & likely don’t want to be told this is visible.
Original post by mnot
Have you considered just keeping your thoughts to yourself.

Most people know, it’s generally because people have stuff going on preventing them from getting more rest & likely don’t want to be told this is visible.

I'm kinda getting the impression that the OP is attracted to this girl and is looking for an icebreaker? :hmmmm2:
Reply 15
Original post by Old Skool Freak
That's irrelevant.

What's important is how the recipient will react to it... regardless of any "good-intentions".

In that case, maybe just try smiling at her, or simply saying a "hi" or "hey" on it's own, see how she reacts, and go from there. Chances are she's also familiar with your face, so it's not completely implausible that you could say hi to her.

Agree with this... although maybe it might be seen as a bit nosey if they've never spoken before... I would personally start with the Hi on its own... you never know, she may be OK with chatting straight away, but probably unlikely

We are quite familiar we have spoken before etc ive known her for around 8 months ( weve talked about work and where we are from etc) but struggling to progress things - im not really having the level of convo I want with her.
Reply 16
Original post by Old Skool Freak
I'm kinda getting the impression that the OP is attracted to this girl and is looking for an icebreaker? :hmmmm2:

Exactly - ive used up all the common icebreakers whenever I see her

If you’ve tried and she hasn’t expressed an interest it’s probably better to move on - not insult them.

Well telling her she looks tired is probably going to go down like a lead balloon. What if she simply has a resting b***** face?

If you've already spoken to her, then why not build on some of the stuff you've spoken about before? For example a work project she may have mentioned? Above all, this would demonstrate you're a guy who listens to what women say, rather than just imagining what she looks like with her clothes off.

In case you haven't worked it out, those are brownie points for you :smile:
Reply 19
Original post by mnot
If you’ve tried and she hasn’t expressed an interest it’s probably better to move on - not insult them.

I cant tell with her anymore - at first she was but now shes just polite she smiles at me etc sometimes she will strike up a convo dependant on how busy it is and weve had convos to get to know each other, whats the harm in asking for her social media?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending