The Student Room Group

Audiology - Sept 2015

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Original post by _hwinters
Swansea was really quite relax which was not what I was expecting! Basically they had you in a room and talked about why swansea etc then you split off on a rota to 6 different people who where asking different things like one asked the obvious why swansea and audiology and then others wanted to know more about you and gave you different scenarios.

Thank you feel more relaxed now :biggrin:
I've been looking at Audiology related news on the net (thanks ayeeel!) There seems to be a bit of a problem with nhs funding doesn't there?
Some news is suggesting that patients are only partly getting treated. (one hearing aid instead of two etc)
Reply 82
Original post by bibliboo
I've been looking at Audiology related news on the net (thanks ayeeel!) There seems to be a bit of a problem with nhs funding doesn't there?
Some news is suggesting that patients are only partly getting treated. (one hearing aid instead of two etc)

Yup - NHS Audiology services are now commissioned and funded by Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) and the North Staffordshire CCG first caused consternation by suggesting that they wouldn't give new patients hearing aids for mild to moderate hearing loss. Lots of issues with this and Action on Hearing Loss and other organisations in the sector are up in arms about it. North Staffs have chosen not to go ahead with this change in direction at the moment but they will probably revisit this in the future.

And then Northern, Eastern and Western Devon CCG suggested only providing one hearing aid when there was a clinical need for two; some would say this is akin to offering a monocle instead of glasses. Again, not good clinical practice for various reasons.

The Action on Hearing Loss campaigns pages have lots more info on this and other issues: http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/get-involved/campaign/hearing-aid-cuts.aspx
Original post by ayeeel
Yup - NHS Audiology services are now commissioned and funded by Clinical Commissioning Groups (CCGs) and the North Staffordshire CCG first caused consternation by suggesting that they wouldn't give new patients hearing aids for mild to moderate hearing loss. Lots of issues with this and Action on Hearing Loss and other organisations in the sector are up in arms about it. North Staffs have chosen not to go ahead with this change in direction at the moment but they will probably revisit this in the future.

And then Northern, Eastern and Western Devon CCG suggested only providing one hearing aid when there was a clinical need for two; some would say this is akin to offering a monocle instead of glasses. Again, not good clinical practice for various reasons.

The Action on Hearing Loss campaigns pages have lots more info on this and other issues: http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/get-involved/campaign/hearing-aid-cuts.aspx

Crikey hope there'll be some jobs left for when we finish. I'm hoping to work for the NHS, though even the NHS Audiology is quite under funded at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Crikey hope there'll be some jobs left for when we finish. I'm hoping to work for the NHS, though even the NHS Audiology is quite under funded at the moment.

Posted from TSR Mobile

its nothing to worry about according to a senior audiologist i was talking to as optometry and dentistry went through a similar phase when they were nhs only services
Original post by Audiology-Med
its nothing to worry about according to a senior audiologist i was talking to as optometry and dentistry went through a similar phase when they were nhs only services

Yeah I think the job prospects in general for Audiology are meant to be quite high at the moment aren't they? Many websites seem to claim that there are more jobs available than there are audiologists so demand for Audiology should be quite high. Don't know if its true though. I hope there are more jobs within the NHS though.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 86

Posted from TSR Mobile

Me too. Who knows what the future holds for NHS Audiology? At the moment it is very dependent on the area; in Kent (where I live), NHS Audiology in West Kent is all at NHS Hospital Audiology departments, whereas in East Kent there is a mixture of NHS Hospital and 8? 12? AQPs. Depending on what happens at the next election, things could change again.
Hi, ive got an interview for Manchester and have been invited to a selection day at leeds, has anyone been to any and what sort of things should I expect?
Original post by ayeeel
Is anyone going to the Audiology Open Day at de Montford the week after next?

This has nothing to do with your question but I wanted to all what's good about audiology. ?
Has anyone had offers from Manchester yet?
Original post by naimah_786
Has anyone had offers from Manchester yet?

No not yet, they said that we'll hear from them in April? What about you? Have you heard anything?
Original post by AmreenAli
No not yet, they said that we'll hear from them in April? What about you? Have you heard anything?

I only just had my interview, but the admissions lady said they may be giving some offers out from end of this week...
Original post by naimah_786
I only just had my interview, but the admissions lady said they may be giving some offers out from end of this week...

My interview was on the 25th of Feb and one of the interviewers said we'll hear from them in April? So I'm not sure? I didn't ask the admissions officer, but I might ring up in a week or two if I don't hear anything from them.
Reply 93
Topical news for those with Audiology interviews - North Staffordshire CCG announced yesterday that they will stop providing hearing aids to those with a mild hearing loss and will make people with moderate hearing loss go through an eligibility test to see if they should receive them. Very controversial.
http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/news-and-events/all-regions/news/action-on-hearing-loss-slams-plans-to-deny-hearing-aids-to-people-in-north-staffordshire.aspx
Original post by ayeeel
Topical news for those with Audiology interviews - North Staffordshire CCG announced yesterday that they will stop providing hearing aids to those with a mild hearing loss and will make people with moderate hearing loss go through an eligibility test to see if they should receive them. Very controversial.
http://www.actiononhearingloss.org.uk/news-and-events/all-regions/news/action-on-hearing-loss-slams-plans-to-deny-hearing-aids-to-people-in-north-staffordshire.aspx

Hope there's some jobs left when they're done.
I might base my research assignment on this topic.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AmreenAli
My interview was on the 25th of Feb and one of the interviewers said we'll hear from them in April? So I'm not sure? I didn't ask the admissions officer, but I might ring up in a week or two if I don't hear anything from them.

Ive had my offer from Manchester university yesterday so I'm sure you'll be hearing any time soon. Good luck!
I'm at Leeds selection today and was also invited to Manchester but I withdrew

Posted from TSR Mobile
I got an offer from middlesex
anyone with a offer from sunderland university
How about Leeds and Manchester, has anyone heard from them yet?

Quick Reply

Latest