The Student Room Group

Family members' degrees

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ForgetMe
I am the only person from family who went to study and got a degree in Business Studies:h: At the time when my parents and sisters were growing up, studying for a degree was a luxury and my family couldn't afford it. My nephew might go to University one day.

there was a direct grant system for those who couldn't afford it, thats how my dad did a year of uni
Original post by randomaccess
What did your family members study, if they went to university and how does it compare to what you study/studied?

I'd say I'm from a family of scientists: my parents studied natural sciences, and electrical engineering.
Three grandparents, my sister, five cousins and three aunt's/uncles all have degrees in science, whilst I did an arts degree.

I'm just interested to see if there are others who went down a different route to the majority of their family/

Most of my family members are of profession of teaching, especially Maths and Science. Mum has a degree in Maths, my aunt, 2 cousins and 2 uncles also. Two of my cousins are into Business Management or something. My other aunt is a dentist, one doctor, another uncle a doctor and one cousin is doing medicine at the moment and sister and cousin are doing physcology and anoher biomedical science. I'm on the other hand, total opposite, doing Law lol.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by jelly1000
there was a direct grant system for those who couldn't afford it, thats how my dad did a year of uni

My parents lived not in the UK :tongue:
Original post by ForgetMe
My parents lived not in the UK :tongue:

ah fair enough
My parents both went to university; my dad did medicine and my mum did psychology and tourism. None of my grandparents went to uni. My aunt (dad's sister) also went to uni to do Art. I'm (hopefully) going to do Japanese next year.
Neither my mother nor father went to university. Others in my family completed degrees in theology, sociology, etc. I'm the only person in my family to study at an Oxbridge university though.
Original post by ByronicHero
One was expelled from school and the other had no formal qualifications.

I do have a cousin who is a professor as KCL but broadly am the only person in my immediate family to have gone to university - not that I bothered to finish.

Why didn't you bother to finish?
Original post by Asexual Demigod
Why didn't you bother to finish?

Many reasons. Primary among them is the fact that I didn't care very much about the whole thing.
My mom is currently doing a business management degree (open uni) she's also working.

My dad studied public administration (open uni)

I'm doing molecular biology and genetics also business administration (open uni) and a physics minor.

My brother studied physics.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending