The Student Room Group

Why do young adults dress up for Halloween?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Yeah dude
Or maybe it's just fun dude' let us be young and wild and free dude :biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should read The Great Gatsby, its all about Americans wanting to be young, wild and free.
Original post by Arkasia
Because they are socially conditioned into the notion that Halloween is for partying, and this requires girls to dress slutty, and guys to dress like tools, all for the 'bantz'?

Surely all kinds of cultural celebrations are just "social conditioning" if you want to look at it that way?

Why does people having fun bother some people so much?
Original post by cole-slaw
If you feel that will help

So I put my hands up they're playin my song, the butterflies fly away, noddin mah head like chyaaa shaking my hips like shhyyyyyyaaaa, and I put my hands up, miley sucks, so does nickelback, AYAYAAY it's a party in the USA

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Arkasia
You should read The Great Gatsby, its all about Americans wanting to be young, wild and free.

No, it's just I wanna be able to longboard in my horse mask and not be judged by british people

OOOOOOOH

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by e aí rapaz
Surely all kinds of cultural celebrations are just "social conditioning" if you want to look at it that way?

Why does people having fun bother some people so much?

Yeah, they are. Since we are focusing on Halloween, though, I only mentioned Halloween.

No idea.

Original post by Yeah dude
No, it's just I wanna be able to longboard in my horse mask and not be judged by british people

OOOOOOOH

Posted from TSR Mobile

You should be judged by everyone if you did that, not just British people.
Reply 25
Original post by cole-slaw
Halloween is not american. Neither is fancy dress.

It's not rooted in British origin either.
Reply 26
Original post by Gwilym101
Who says dressing up is for kids? The traditions of dressing up in costumes or specific outfits date back millenia and more often than not the traditions were for adults to dress up. Ever been to Carnivale in Venice? Where almost everyone is wearing masks and cape for about a month?

Halloween has one tradition aimed at kids and that's trick or treating, the rest kinda applies to everyone who wants to celebrate it.

What the hell are they meant to be celebrating? Their childhood when their mummy's used to dress them up with a candy bag?

No, I've never been to a bloody Carnivale in Venice. I've got standards, mate.

Back in those days, were they drawing scars, stitches and putting fake blood on their faces? Doing my nut in? I think not, sonny jim.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by noggins
It's not rooted in British origin either.

It is Northern European in origin, of which Britain is a part.
I think there are two parts to this, dressing up and trick or treating. Adults dressing up is OK, but if a bunch of them knock I my door I will accsue them of being pedos.
Original post by GodAtum
I think there are two parts to this, dressing up and trick or treating. Adults dressing up is OK, but if a bunch of them knock I my door I will accsue them of being pedos.

Will you only accuse the men doing it, or would you accuse women of being pedos as well?

Posted from TSR Mobile
In my expereince it's only been 30 something men. Obviously if they are looking after their children I would hand out sweets.
it is part of Satan's plan for them.
Original post by Arkasia
Because they are socially conditioned into the notion that Halloween is for partying, and this requires girls to dress slutty, and guys to dress like tools, all for the 'bantz'?

I would tend to agree with that statement.....

I think we should blame Mean Girls :wink:

[video="youtube;pKuF3fV8_yc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKuF3fV8_yc[/video]

I love Halloween mainly because it's another reason to bring people together but also because I adore fancy dress.... it's a fun run up to Christmas that way.... Halloween, Bonfire Night then it's December....

I love carving pumpkins too and just generally making the most of the festivities... it's an additional opportunity to have a party :rave:
Reply 33
Original post by clh_hilary
Why did The Taylor Swift write 'Shake It Off'?

I doubt she wrote that lyrical masterpiece
Original post by She-Ra
I would tend to agree with that statement.....

I think we should blame Mean Girls :wink:

[video="youtube;pKuF3fV8_yc"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pKuF3fV8_yc[/video]

I love Halloween mainly because it's another reason to bring people together but also because I adore fancy dress.... it's a fun run up to Christmas that way.... Halloween, Bonfire Night then it's December....

I love carving pumpkins too and just generally making the most of the festivities... it's an additional opportunity to have a party :rave:

Ugh couldn't watch that, I remember what happened and the cringe was too strong.
Reply 35
Whilst I don't like Halloween as a celebration I have been on 2 Halloween nights out dressed up to varying degrees and it's all in good fun and good humour. It doesn't do anyone any harm so I can't see where legitimate complaints can be made.
Original post by noggins
What the hell are they meant to be celebrating? Their childhood when their mummy's used to dress them up with a candy bag?

No, I've never been to a bloody Carnivale in Venice. I've got standards, mate.

Back in those days, were they drawing scars, stitches and putting fake blood on their faces? Acting like mongs in the street? Doing my nut in? I think not, sonny jim.

It's a holiday... holidays are celebrated. It's just the term for taking part in a holiday activity. If you really want to be pedantic its the Eve of All Hallows that is technically the name of the event.

You standards are A) really dull and B) really warped to look down on one of the most artistic and historical cities in the worlds most iconic and cultural annual event.

"Back in those days" the traditions varied depending on where you were, some dressed as monsters from folklore, some cross dressed, some just dressed all in black, some dressed as saints etc. Playing games, dancing and playing pranks are also old halloween traditions.

Fundamentally the rest of us are too interested in having fun to care about one boring sod who doesn't want to join in.
Original post by Steezy
I doubt she wrote that lyrical masterpiece

How 'bout 'Out of the Woods'? Or the entire Speak Now album?
It's not childish. Childish is where you act at the same emotional intelligence of someone under 10. Dressing up and having a laugh with people your age (irrelevant of the theme, whether it's Halloween or Christmas) is just having fun.
Because it's fun yo

Quick Reply

Latest