The Student Room Group

TV License Goons

Hello,

I don't own or watch a television. I own a pc and laptop but I refuse to watch any tv.

I cancelled my tv license around three months ago because I considered it a waste of money. I'm not getting threatening letters and visits. What is the best way to deal with them?

As far as I am aware, I'm breaking no law. It's illegal to watch live programs or recording live programs without a license, but I don't do anything like that. I watch dvds of films and documentaries.

I hate the idea of my money going to the BBC to fund its propaganda and paedophile ring. So I made a decision to never watch tv again.

So, how do I deal with those tv license goons?
I heard if you watch iPlayer in halls you need a license to watch it... Netflix is ok as its paid... is this true? Its BS!!!!!!

I think theyre trying to get as much money as possible because students have no TVs so think of all the money they are losing out on if there was a tv in the hundreds of thousands of rooms around the UK in Universities
Reply 2
You only need to pay to watch live TV, that's it.
Reply 3
Original post by heavyhandscott
I heard if you watch iPlayer in halls you need a license to watch it... Netflix is ok as its paid... is this true? Its BS!!!!!!

I think theyre trying to get as much money as possible because students have no TVs so think of all the money they are losing out on if there was a tv in the hundreds of thousands of rooms around the UK in Universities

Hey,

Currently I live at home with my father. I don't actually live in Halls. I'm not sure of the situation of halls at tv licensing?
Original post by heavyhandscott

If you use the "watch live" feature you have to have a TV licence. If you're just using catch-up then you don't.
Original post by LeeMills77
Hey,

Currently I live at home with my father. I don't actually live in Halls. I'm not sure of the situation of halls at tv licensing?

I went to Newcastle Uni open day and a woman talking about it said what I said above... i think its total BS.
Reply 6
Original post by Blobar
You only need to pay to watch live TV, that's it.

Just seen a video on YouTube where the licensing goons were saying 'If you have equipment that can receive the BBC, you need a license.' What a load of *******s. And the Police were there too to back them up and threaten the homeowner. Unbelievable.

Here is the link if you are interested:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CbgmrC-3yog
Hello,

I don't own or watch a television. I own a pc and laptop but I refuse to watch any tv.

I cancelled my tv license around three months ago because I considered it a waste of money. I'm not getting threatening letters and visits. What is the best way to deal with them?

As far as I am aware, I'm breaking no law. It's illegal to watch live programs or recording live programs without a license, but I don't do anything like that. I watch dvds of films and documentaries.

I hate the idea of my money going to the BBC to fund its propaganda and paedophile ring. So I made a decision to never watch tv again.

So, how do I deal with those tv license goons?

As long as you don't watch TV live as it's going out it doesn't matter if your house is literally filled to the ceiling with TVs. The TV Licensing website itself says this: "You don't need a licence if you don't use any of these devices to watch or record television programmes as they're being shown on TV - for example, if you use your TV only to watch DVDs or play video games, or you only watch ‘catch up’ services like BBC iPlayer or 4oD."

They send letters to all unlicensed addresses so it's nothing personal. To stop them you can tell them you don't watch TV and they will stop contacting you. You can complete a form here: http://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if-you-need-one/topics/how-to-tell-us-you-dont-watch-tv-top12
Reply 8
Please read the FAQ in my signature.
Reply 9
Original post by Reue
Please read the FAQ in my signature.

Hi. What is that? Where do I find that?
Reply 10
Hi. What is that? Where do I find that?

http://tvlicencefaq.blogspot.co.uk/p/faq.html
Reply 11

Brill. I have to be honest - I haven't watched any tv for around three years now. I paid for a license for two of those years but decided it was a waste of money. So I cancelled.

I have internet access but I use it only for university and personal research.

I occasionally watch films and documentaries on dvd, either on my dvd-tv upstairs or my laptop. But I NEVER watch any tv from any channel.

So according to that logic, I'm breaking no law. But I still expect visits, threatening letters and potential warrants. Oh well...

Quick Reply

Latest