The Student Room Group

AS- levels high grades in maths and sciences

Poll

Which subject is the hardest to get grade A*/A in?

So I am currently studying: maths, biology, chemistry and physics AS- levels and my exam boards are: edexcel for maths and AQA for the 3 sciences and I subsequently wish to have attained good grades (AABB minimum) in all of these subjects and the (AA) being in maths and physics; so my question is, when do I start revision and how do i go about getting high ums (90+) in maths and physics because I need very high in these for my proposed course at university.

Any suggestions and help will be highly appreciated

Thanks, regards.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I do maths, biology, chemistry from these (same exam boards) and I would say, start revising now. Write up your class notes, look through exam papers and do exam questions, read ahead, etc.

I don't know anything about UMS (I'm not concerned about mine, for what I want to do, an A is an A) but I imagine a lot of it is knowing exactly how to answer the questions, which comes from just reading/doing/marking/redoing exam papers like you did at GCSE.

Good luck!! :smile:
Original post by Sal11
So I am currently studying: maths, biology, chemistry and physics AS- levels and my exam boards are: edexcel for maths and AQA for the 3 sciences and I subsequently wish to have attained good grades (AABB minimum) in all of these subjects and the (AA) being in maths and physics; so my question is, when do I start revision and how do i go about getting high ums (90+) in maths and physics because I need very high in these for my proposed course at university.

Thanks, regards.

I did AQA Physics and Chem and got >90% and best in school for both, so I must have been doing something right!

Essentially, make sure you understand everything in the lessons. I mean everything. and I mean understand. If you don't, get it sorted.
Flash cards for definitions, formulae, and equation sets (e.g. for Chem) are a godsend.
Past papers will be your best friend, but don't do them too early.

For Chem, past papers have harder questions as they are more unstructured (ie 1990s). These are good prep for Section B. Definitions are easy marks, as are calculations and mechanisms, as they're all just memorising.

For Physics, past papers are key. Mechanics 1 from Maths will help with the mechanics side (inc suvat). All I can advise is past paper questions. Write out all possible answers to the long 6 markers (e.g. double slit, stationary waves, young's modulus experiment).

For ISAs, do ALL past papers.

For Maths, I did AQA so I don't know how relevant this is, but again, past papers were the only revision I did, and ended up getting 98%.

I cannot stress enough the importance of keeping up with notes in class, thoroughly understanding everything, reading around the subject (esp Physics) AND GETTING A GOOD REVISION GUIDE.
I used the Collins ones for sciences, but they are occasionally inaccurate. Best to get two to cross reference- I also had the CGP ones.

Good luck :smile:
Original post by Planckton
I did AQA Physics and Chem and got >90% and best in school for both, so I must have been doing something right!

Essentially, make sure you understand everything in the lessons. I mean everything. and I mean understand. If you don't, get it sorted.
Flash cards for definitions, formulae, and equation sets (e.g. for Chem) are a godsend.

For Chem, past papers have harder questions as they are more unstructured (ie 1990s). These are good prep for Section B. Definitions are easy marks, as are calculations and mechanisms, as they're all just memorising.

For Physics, past papers are key. Mechanics 1 from Maths will help with the mechanics side (inc suvat). All I can advise is past paper questions. Write out all possible answers to the long 6 markers (e.g. double slit, stationary waves, young's modulus experiment).

For Maths, I did AQA so I don't know how relevant this is, but again, past papers were the only revision I did, and ended up getting 98%.

I cannot stress enough the importance of keeping up with notes in class, thoroughly understanding everything, reading around the subject (esp Physics) AND GETTING A GOOD REVISION GUIDE.
I used the Collins ones for sciences, but they are occasionally inaccurate. Best to get two to cross reference- I also had the CGP ones.

out of interest which website or resource did you use to access papers from the 90s for chem?
Original post by arcanum96
out of interest which website or resource did you use to access papers from the 90s for chem?

Afraid it was my teacher! He (kind of weirdly but very helpfully) has a garage full of old past papers
Afraid it was my teacher! He (kind of weirdly but very helpfully) has a garage full of old past papers

Ah that's very lucky!
Original post by Sal11

Thanks, regards.

Forgot to mention, I started revising middle of May, as soon as my French was over. Should've started earlier in hindsight... Easter latest.
Original post by arcanum96
Ah that's very lucky!

Yep! best teacher I ever had :biggrin:
Reply 8

Is just reading the textbook with plenty of past papers enough for 90>%?
Reply 9
How about examsolutions.net?
I've heard people get from a U to an A in maths by using the website only.
Original post by Sal11
Is just reading the textbook with plenty of past papers enough for 90>%?

No. Don't just read the textbooks, make notes. I love posters! You should have a full set of in depth notes separate to class notes, that you can revise from effectively
Reply 11
No. Don't just read the textbooks, make notes. I love posters! You should have a full set of in depth notes separate to class notes, that you can revise from effectively

Are cgp books good? The student books for bio, Chem and physics
Original post by Sal11
Are cgp books good? The student books for bio, Chem and physics

[crashes through the door]
USE THE CGP STUDENT BOOKS!

There's not one for Physics, unfortunately, but the Biology one was basically my bible. It's a halfway house between a revision guide and textbook, and lays out the specification really well so you know exactly what you're learning on each page.
Reply 13
Original post by loperdoper
[crashes through the door]
USE THE CGP STUDENT BOOKS!

There's not one for Physics, unfortunately, but the Biology one was basically my bible. It's a halfway house between a revision guide and textbook, and lays out the specification really well so you know exactly what you're learning on each page.

Can I ask if you don't mind, what grades you got in biology, and also there is one for physics, unless your talking about a different book..?
Is revising from the textboom good or should i get a revision guide?
Reply 15
Tips for A grade in maths and physics anyone?!
Original post by Sal11
Can I ask if you don't mind, what grades you got in biology, and also there is one for physics, unless your talking about a different book..?

Are you on AQA? There is a Student Book for AQA Physics, but not OCR Physics. I did OCR, hence my mistake (sorry).

I got an A in Biology, 87% average across the exams (75% in coursework as I was only aiming for a B and decided not to retake my coursework when I got roughly a B grade)
Reply 17
Original post by loperdoper
Are you on AQA? There is a Student Book for AQA Physics, but not OCR Physics. I did OCR, hence my mistake (sorry).

I got an A in Biology, 87% average across the exams (75% in coursework as I was only aiming for a B and decided not to retake my coursework when I got roughly a B grade)

Did you do chemistry? Also did you do aqa biology?
Original post by Sal11

Thanks, regards.

I'm doing Maths, Biology, Chemistry and Geography. OCR for the sciences and maths and AQA for geography.

I'd advice starting revision from now. I mean looking at your syllabus and reading ahead of class/doing maths calculations to build your confidence for any maths question they may throw at you. Revision starts early for A-levels. Don't leave it till a couple weeks before your exams

Good luck!
Original post by Sal11
Did you do chemistry? Also did you do aqa biology?

Nope, only OCR Biology + Physics.

Quick Reply

Latest