The Student Room Group
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Reply 220
Original post by TheZoo
If it helps at all, I'm currently on a classics course at Kings (Ancient History, but it's the same as Classical Studies but for one compulsory module) and I couldn't recommend it more highly. I also had offers from KCL and UCL but firmed KCL because I far preferred the module choices.
The staff in the classics department are all excellent, and there's a very good active classics community with the society, Greek play etc.
At the end of the day if I were you I'd have a long hard look at the modules available and the style of course and consider which one interests you more - prestige and ranking counts for far less than picking the course more suited for you, as you'll likely achieve better in the course that interests you most.

ahh thank you so much, it helps a lot hearing from someone whose actually there. I think where kings is situated is also a lot nicer and i feel like they offer more opportunities outside of the degree as well. In terms of the social side, is there a lot to do at kings... societies as such?
Waterfront bar, King's College
King's College London
London
Original post by monlakh
ah ok, i'm probably going to have to check again to be sure. What was your course?

History. Starting in September, though.
Reply 222
Original post by monlakh
ahh thank you so much, it helps a lot hearing from someone whose actually there. I think where kings is situated is also a lot nicer and i feel like they offer more opportunities outside of the degree as well. In terms of the social side, is there a lot to do at kings... societies as such?

Yeah the location of kcl is great, especially since you'd be at the Strand campus. The social life is very good - I found that there was something for everyone, whatever your interests are. There are academic societies for subjects you're interested in, but also sport, or interests like tv shows, music... And it's important to remember that being in London (so applying to UCL as well) there's a lot to do socially outside of uni as well, so if there's no society at uni for something you want to do, chances are you'll be able to do it outside of uni!
Reply 223
Original post by TheZoo
Yeah the location of kcl is great, especially since you'd be at the Strand campus. The social life is very good - I found that there was something for everyone, whatever your interests are. There are academic societies for subjects you're interested in, but also sport, or interests like tv shows, music... And it's important to remember that being in London (so applying to UCL as well) there's a lot to do socially outside of uni as well, so if there's no society at uni for something you want to do, chances are you'll be able to do it outside of uni!

oh okay, sounds pretty amazing! I tried to see what this kinda stuff for ucl was like, but in all honesty it didn't seem as great. and the location is definitely a bonus. actually can i just ask was there anything else asides from the modules, that made you choose kcl over ucl?
thank you for the advice :colondollar:
(edited 9 years ago)
Reply 224
Original post by monlakh
oh okay, sounds pretty amazing! I tried to see what this kinda stuff for ucl was like, but in all honesty it didn't seem as great. and the location is definitely a bonus. actually can i just ask was there anything else asides from the modules, that made you choose kcl over ucl?
thank you for the advice :colondollar:

I picked kcl for a lot of reasons to be honest. The module choice was no1, but there was also the better location, a better 'feel' when I looked around both. I also looked at things like accommodation and their location/prices and found kcl more appealing. Can't really remember a lot about ucl, but I remember preferring kcl in terms of the opportunities it offered - things like the big study abroad programme, employment while at uni, taking modules across departments, the student union... plus the offer was a couple of grades lower!
Not that all that is to say that you should choose kcl, I have quite a few friends who love it at ucl! Just for me kings was a far better option. If you have any questions about classics at kings at any point feel free to message me :smile:
Reply 225
Original post by TheZoo
I picked kcl for a lot of reasons to be honest. The module choice was no1, but there was also the better location, a better 'feel' when I looked around both. I also looked at things like accommodation and their location/prices and found kcl more appealing. Can't really remember a lot about ucl, but I remember preferring kcl in terms of the opportunities it offered - things like the big study abroad programme, employment while at uni, taking modules across departments, the student union... plus the offer was a couple of grades lower!
Not that all that is to say that you should choose kcl, I have quite a few friends who love it at ucl! Just for me kings was a far better option. If you have any questions about classics at kings at any point feel free to message me :smile:

okay yeah so I guess I need to consider everything, but right now I think I am leaning towards KCL, the only thing about UCL is it's name but I don't think thats something that should even come into consideration. The entry requirements they've offered me are the same (AAB) :| otherwise the decision would have been easier. Ahha you might find some messages pop up from me! Thank you :smile:
Original post by monlakh
okay yeah so I guess I need to consider everything, but right now I think I am leaning towards KCL, the only thing about UCL is it's name but I don't think thats something that should even come into consideration. The entry requirements they've offered me are the same (AAB) :| otherwise the decision would have been easier. Ahha you might find some messages pop up from me! Thank you :smile:

They both gave me the same offers too but they're A*AA ://
Offer for Msc Chemistry AAB, received December 18th 2014.
Reply 228
Original post by binarythoughts
They both gave me the same offers too but they're A*AA ://

ahh yeah! I would have preferred one of them to be my insurance choice... :/
Any one got an offer for politics, philosophy and law?
Original post by Daryaa97
Any one got an offer for politics, philosophy and law?

There's at least 1 user listed with an offer on http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/university/kings_college_london (scroll down to 2015 entry - they're under both law and philosophy)
Has anyone gotten an offer for Business Management? They're taking so long ohmyyy

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by milkberries
Has anyone gotten an offer for Business Management? They're taking so long ohmyyy

Posted from TSR Mobile

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/connect/university/kings_college_london

Scroll down - there are 2 people with offers from the 7 TSR users who have applied.

Posted from TSR Mobile

I have an offer for French and Management so slightly different - got that mid December!
Original post by elizanissim
I have an offer for French and Management so slightly different - got that mid December!

May I ask when you sent off your application and also what your predicted grades are if you don't mind? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Offer for English Language and Linguistics! I've already firmed it. From what I've heard it's not that popular a course, anyone else here applied?
May I ask when you sent off your application and also what your predicted grades are if you don't mind? :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Sent off in October, changed course December from French to French and Management.
Predicted grades are AAB - B in French!
Hello, I sent off my application on December 17th (I think), and my predicteds are 35/42 with 6,6,6 at Hl. Our school doesn't give us a predicted for EE and TOK, which is why it's sent out of 42. I understand that my chances are slim with the grades I'm getting but oh well, can't stop myself from dreaming. xx
Have any of the International applicants received an offer for Law?
Unconditional for CompSci and Intelligent Systems. I haven't seen anybody else with this choice, is CompSci better/more popular?

Latest