The Student Room Group

Student Housing Issues ll Private Landlady

Hello.

I don't know if anyone on here will be able to help me but there are some issues which keep arising with my landlady and I am wondering where we stand in terms of this.

The first problem is that she is lying about me to my other housemates and she is telling them that I said things which I never even mentioned to her. How do I approach this?

The second thing is guests. Do we actually have to ask her permission for guests to stay over or can they simply stay over as long as the other housemates have no problems with it?

The third links to the second question. Is she allowed to charge us extra money when we have people stay over for the night or is this not allowed?

And, finally, if no one can help then do you know where we can go to find out about these things? I don't want to cause trouble because that has been done enough already, but I am just wanting to find out where we stand as Students in the accommodation in relation to the landlady. Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,
Emma:smile:
Hi Emma,

That doesn't sound like a very pleasant situation!

Is there anything in your contract about guests? Are bills included in your rent? If not, I can see no reason for her to charge extra when you have guests staying over.

Does she live in the same building? If so, that might be why she has an issue with guests/wants you to ask permission - she may not like it too busy or noisy.

Have you spoken with your other housemates about these problems? Are they having problems as well?

Have you tried speaking with her and asked her why she is saying these things about you? It would be good if you could sort things with her.

It might be worth it to go to the CAB if the landlady keeps on being unpleasant.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by Kittiara
Hi Emma,

That doesn't sound like a very pleasant situation!

Is there anything in your contract about guests? Are bills included in your rent? If not, I can see no reason for her to charge extra when you have guests staying over.

Does she live in the same building? If so, that might be why she has an issue with guests/wants you to ask permission - she may not like it too busy or noisy.

Have you spoken with your other housemates about these problems? Are they having problems as well?

Have you tried speaking with her and asked her why she is saying these things about you? It would be good if you could sort things with her.

It might be worth it to go to the CAB if the landlady keeps on being unpleasant.

Good luck!

It states in the contract that we have to give her 24-hours notice for them visiting and that they may not stay the night after 10pm with prior agreement from her, but she gave her permission and then took it away by lying. She doesn't live in the same house, she is a live-out landlord but she never gives is notice that she's coming and she always turns up.

Yes. The cost of all of our rent includes the gas, electric and internet use. She said she required money to contribute towards the cleaning products in the house, even though the person was only spending one night in the house.

I have tried talking to her but she just says that she's not a liar and she only ever tells the truth. She has stated that she doesn't have a problem with me and she has no reason to be against me, but when she lies about, it gives me totally mixed impressions. I am a little confused to be honest.

One of the housemates has been to the CAB about this and they have told her that everything the landlady is doing is wrong and in doing what she does, she is breaking the terms of the tenancy agreement. However, the landlady says that she's doing nothing wrong and she knows her rights because she owns ten student houses in total.
Original post by emmaalouisaa

It states in the contract that we have to give her 24-hours notice for them visiting and that they may not stay the night after 10pm with prior agreement from her, but she gave her permission and then took it away by lying. She doesn't live in the same house, she is a live-out landlord but she never gives is notice that she's coming and she always turns up.

Yes. The cost of all of our rent includes the gas, electric and internet use. She said she required money to contribute towards the cleaning products in the house, even though the person was only spending one night in the house.

I have tried talking to her but she just says that she's not a liar and she only ever tells the truth. She has stated that she doesn't have a problem with me and she has no reason to be against me, but when she lies about, it gives me totally mixed impressions. I am a little confused to be honest.

One of the housemates has been to the CAB about this and they have told her that everything the landlady is doing is wrong and in doing what she does, she is breaking the terms of the tenancy agreement. However, the landlady says that she's doing nothing wrong and she knows her rights because she owns ten student houses in total.

She sounds ridiculous. Her owning ten student houses doesn't mean a thing. Did the CAB give any advice on how to tackle these problems? They are quite right that everything this landlady is doing is wrong and that she is breaking the terms of the tenancy agreement.

I'm pretty certain, for one, that a landlord or landlady should give prior warning if they're coming to visit (except, perhaps, in an emergency situation). The couple of times my landlord stopped by he contacted me in advance and arranged a suitable date and time for him to visit, and that was only because there were a couple of things in the house that needed upgrading, so it was to my benefit for him to have a look and see what could be done. Apart from visits directly related to the house, there would be no reason for him to show up.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending