The Student Room Group

Just a little tip for NHS managers everywhere

Scroll to see replies

Original post by zippyRN
utter rubbish, i presume you've never worked in the NHS

99% of lay managers in the NHS serve no real purpose and could easily be replaced by secretarial support for Clinicians and Professionally Qualified Support service Managers.

What?? You can't write off 99% of people in a job as useless! Calling people 'lay' managers like they're dimwits is just insulting. Really no idea how to respond to this other than with general disbelief that you feel you can just dismiss all these people, it's kind of crazy. It may be traditional to hate on managers but you can't honestly think that they have no purpose. In the recent NHS reforms the government spent millions of £££ on firing and then having to re-hire managers exactly because they are necessary for the cogs to turn. And there already is secretarial support for clinicians. How is a 'professionally qualified support service manager' even different from another manager anyway? It's like saying I'll only let my bins be taken out if the bin man is a Professionally Qualified Waste Disposal Man, everybody else is a waste of space. Call it what you like, it's the same job, no?
Original post by seaholme
What?? You can't write off 99% of people in a job as useless! Calling people 'lay' managers like they're dimwits is just insulting. Really no idea how to respond to this other than with general disbelief that you feel you can just dismiss all these people, it's kind of crazy. It may be traditional to hate on managers but you can't honestly think that they have no purpose. In the recent NHS reforms the government spent millions of £££ on firing and then having to re-hire managers exactly because they are necessary for the cogs to turn. And there already is secretarial support for clinicians. How is a 'professionally qualified support service manager' even different from another manager anyway? It's like saying I'll only let my bins be taken out if the bin man is a Professionally Qualified Waste Disposal Man, everybody else is a waste of space. Call it what you like, it's the same job, no?

What term would you prefer I use for managers in in healthcare organisation that are neither clinicians nor are they professionally qualified in a essential support service ?

there is a role for none clinician managers in the NHS, but these people by and large will have a professional qualification of their own and will be managign that function e.g.
-Accountants
-Lawyer
-HR
-Hotel Services / catering / soft FM
-Engineering / building services / Hard FM
- Transport Managers

Lay Managers do very little other than collate figures for the pointless crowdpleasing targets , have meetings aobut having meetings and get in the way of service delivery by simply not getting the concept that things that work when dealing with a inanimate product cannot be applied to healthcare. they are simply political commissars to used ensure Tractor Production breaks all records comrade and to dilute the influence of clinicians and those who are professionally cqualified in the essential support services.

a lay amanger quizzing me about tractor production figures does not help when i am trying to actually deliver service or co-ordinate the delivery of service

Lay Managers are not 'essential' to gettign the cogs to turn clinicians with management responsibilities and Managers with Support Services Professional Qualifications?

clinicians do not recieve secretarial support across the board , Consultants have part shares in a secretary for their NHS work ( any secretarial support they have for academic roles is a matter for the HEI in question), Senior Management in Nursing and AHP have shares in secretaries, band 7 and 8a clinicans do not have secretarial support, nor do none Consultant Senior Doctors their secretarial support is in the 'grey economy' of borrowing time from their consultant colleagues Secs and /or ward clerks.
Original post by zippyRN
What term would you prefer I use for managers in in healthcare organisation that are neither clinicians nor are they professionally qualified in a essential support service ?

...managers?

Considering the current NHS is built on a system of political wrangling, targets, hoop jumping and outsourcing, not having somebody in that role seems quite mad. Funding is based on meeting targets, managing budgets and collecting and acting on information about "tractor production", as you say. Without doing all of this stuff, hospitals don't receive compensation for what they've done and/or get fined so actually lose money. As I said at the beginning, blame the system, but the people who are trying to do all this stuff and make ends meet in the government's "competition" based system don't deserve all this dissing and hate like they're some conglomerate group of morons. They're actually stuck between a rock and a hard place because the actual shop floor 'service delivery' and meeting all of the things they've got to meet in order to fund the delivery of the service don't always go together. And so they get a lot of hatred from bitter people like yourself who assume they do sod all and are idiots. The clan-like blame culture in the NHS is totally unreasonable when it comes to stuff like this, it's shocking how little respect people have for each other.

I personally don't think that professional qualification in some support service or whatever really means much in this context. If you can do the job, it doesn't matter what your qualifications are because management is not a 'profession' in that sense. There's no special pool of knowledge, just common sense, an understanding of the system and people skills.
(edited 9 years ago)
...managers?

Considering the current NHS is built on a system of political wrangling, targets, hoop jumping and outsourcing, not having somebody in that role seems quite mad. Funding is based on meeting targets, managing budgets and collecting and acting on information about "tractor production", as you say. Without doing all of this stuff, hospitals don't receive compensation for what they've done and/or get fined so actually lose money. As I said at the beginning, blame the system, but the people who are trying to do all this stuff and make ends meet in the government's "competition" based system don't deserve all this dissing and hate like they're some conglomerate group of morons. They're actually stuck between a rock and a hard place because the actual shop floor 'service delivery' and meeting all of the things they've got to meet in order to fund the delivery of the service don't always go together. And so they get a lot of hatred from bitter people like yourself who assume they do sod all and are idiots. The clan-like blame culture in the NHS is totally unreasonable when it comes to stuff like this, it's shocking how little respect people have for each other.

I personally don't think that professional qualification in some support service or whatever really means much in this context. If you can do the job, it doesn't matter what your qualifications are because management is not a 'profession' in that sense. There's no special pool of knowledge, just common sense, an understanding of the system and people skills.

order of importance of people in healthcare

Patients
Clinicians
Support services
the public
the hospital cat
|
|
|
|
|
Lay manager

how do hospitals get paid ?

clinicians or their sectretarial support provide accurate descriptions of what they have done to treat the patient and in some cases code these

coding adminstrators check these / translate the procedures to the codings and enter them onto the system .

accountants do the sums and chase the commissioner to get paid

there is no need for any lay manager involvement

as a graduate, manager and health professional I can tell you that lay managers i nthe NHS do nothing of value to the organisation , and much of what they do is either unnecessary duplication of the work done by Health Professionals or support services professionals or work that should be done by admin staff reporting to the relevant professional

- private healthcare organisations don't have them ( currently work in a 120 bed private sector facility we have a Management team of 4 people three of whom are clinicians (general Manager, two heads of service, and one is support services professional ('hotel services and facilities management'- that said our HR and Accountancy are managed by the parent company ) ,

charities don't have them, businesses in other sectors don't have them , the NHS lay Manager is a political construct , one which labour used in the period 1997- 2010 to marginalise the 'power' of clinicians in Healthcare organisations , the 'targets' imposed on the NHS are of no clinical value
Original post by zippyRN
as a graduate, manager and health professional I can tell you that lay managers i nthe NHS do nothing of value to the organisation , and much of what they do is either unnecessary duplication of the work done by Health Professionals or support services professionals or work that should be done by admin staff reporting to the relevant professional

Honestly, I think you just don't know the whole of what managers do! It's structural stuff above the level of just providing frontline services. It's how to improve services, commission facilities, run facilities, manage people and situations. The day to day bits like coding and accounting to tick the boxes for money is not the same as commissioning those services and allocating budgets in the first place. Also surely this private company does therefore have 4 managers?? So other companies do need them, you can't have a large organisation without somebody over-seeing it, keeping tabs on it and giving overall direction. Indeed NHS managers are highly sought after by other companies, and much better paid. Charities and other businesses DO also have management, including your 'lay' non-ex-nurse/doctor/hospitality managers who have not been elevated to this mysterious extra level that makes them worthwhile human beings, although in the Charity sector it's usually divvied up amongst employees so as not to appear on overheads. People don't donate to Charities which are seen to plunge a lot back into running costs.

It seems to me that your point is just that anybody who does not have the same qualification as you (i.e. trained clinically before ditching clinical work to then go into management) should be shunned as useless for some reason. I really don't understand your distinction between 'lay' and other management.
Honestly, I think you just don't know the whole of what managers do! It's structural stuff above the level of just providing frontline services.

you really haven't got a clue have you ?

It's how to improve services,

clinician or support professional responsibility, it does not need an external individual who does not understand the content and context of the provision to do it - unfortunately you've swallowed the marketing hype of the consultancy firms there . A lot of the service improvement methodology comes from the Toyota Production System - a system which condifies how the actual service providers can develop service and strip out waste and none productive individuals and activities - and says the majority of the service improvment is ideas fro mthe shop floor implmented by the shop floor - ditto for 6 sigma - yes you have blackbelts and master black belts who are employed just to do service improvment but they are trainers and senseis to the yellows and greens actually doing the service improvment in their work settings.

commission facilities, run facilities

professionally qualified support staff do that, not lay managers

, manage people

this is a responsibility of Line Managers ( be they Clinicians or support services) with the support of HR professionals,

and situations.

again the appropriate clinicians and support services professionals with the support of secretarial services - the role of the lay manager in a major incident control room is as loggist and keeper ofthe decision log - this is a secretarial role

it;s also a role which clinicians are trained to do from day 1 of their pre-reg programmes although it;s taught i nthe context of managing a single critical patient

The day to day bits like coding and accounting to tick the boxes for money is not the same as commissioning those services and allocating budgets in the first place.

Commissioning is matter for clinicians supported by accountants - as after all the prurpose of commissioning in healthcare services is to get the balance of cost / quality and access .

Also surely this private company does therefore have 4 managers??

are you being deliberately thick? no one in the company , on sites or at the parent company HQ is employed just to be a manager - everyone in the wider company across it's hundred of sites can tell what they do and why they do it and it;s " i do x because doing x means that the patients/ residents / clients get y which contributes to their care "

if the NHS ran the same setting there would be a manager to mange our administrators ( they can manage themselves quite effectively reporting to the GM ), a manager ot manager the kitchens ( but who can;t actually cook), a manager to manage the housekeepers ( who doesn;t know one end of a mop fro mthe other ) , a manager to manage the FM team ( who doesn;t know how to use a screw driver and can;t paint for toffee) - all of whom cope quite happily with a 'chargehand' leading their respective activities reporting to the Facilities manager

most lay managers in the NHS do not do anything that directly impacts on the patient care experience all they do is obstruct service delivery, duplicate the record keeping of clinicians and have meetings about having meetings where they throw buzz words about ...

the fact that the lay management disappear from the 23rd of December to 3 of January with no detriment to the service provided indicates their relativel lack of importance to effective service delivery

So other companies do need them, you can't have a large organisation without somebody over-seeing it, keeping tabs on it and giving overall direction. Indeed NHS managers are highly sought after by other companies, and much better paid.

i think you are sadly deluded here , the managers private businesses want from the NHS are support services managers becasue they have both the professional qualification and additional development and education

Charities and other businesses DO also have management, including your 'lay' non-ex-nurse/doctor/hospitality managers who have not been elevated to this mysterious extra level that makes them worthwhile human beings, although in the Charity sector it's usually divvied up amongst employees so as not to appear on overheads. People don't donate to Charities which are seen to plunge a lot back into running costs.

no they don;lt they do not have managers who are just there to manage - you need to look at the job descriptions of managers in the charity sector vs the lay management job descriptions i nthe nHS

It seems to me that your point is just that anybody who does not have the same qualification as you (i.e. trained clinically before ditching clinical work to then go into management) should be shunned as useless for some reason. I really don't understand your distinction between 'lay' and other management.

You are missing a point there

a clinician as manager will not engage in the gaming that has typified the Blair - brown era becasue they would reject the validity of the baseless targets imposed by Blair - brown, they also would not tolerate / bully staff into the unacceptable clinicla practices that underpinned acheving the target on paper but sees people parked in corriders or sent to wards without X-rays being reviewed because of an arbitrary and clinically unjustified target to get them out of the Emergency Department

NHS lay Managers exist for two reasons

1. to act as Political Commissars

2. to dilute the prower of professional qualified Practitioners who are managers ( whether clinicians or Support services )

ask a clinician what they do they will answer " look after patients" or " give my colleagues information about their patients fro mthe tests and investigations I do to help them look after patients

ask the Hospital engineering manager what they do and they will answer " keeping the lights on, the water hot , the lifts going up and down , the gasses flowingetc so the clinicians can deliver care "

ask the HR and accountants what they do " make sure the bills are paid and thestaff get their salries so we can look after patients "

ask the people looking after facilities management what they do they will tell you

" make sure patients get fed, get clean linen, smaples and patients get taken to toe correct place at the correct time "

ask a lay manager what they do " collect information about how we are meeeting the targets " - they often don;t even realise why the targets they are measuring are irrelevant and detrimental to effective patient care
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
ask a lay manager what they do " collect information about how we are meeeting the targets " - they often don;t even realise why the targets they are measuring are irrelevant and detrimental to effective patient care

This is exactly what I've been saying!! It's the targets you have a problem with, not the people trying to make sure they're delivered.

Anyway I'm more or less done with trying to discuss this as I've no idea what you're on about with this whole lay manager business, and if you want to think that these people do sod all and write off their role or dismiss it, then that's up to you. There is a lot of extra stuff which goes on above and beyond just providing front line services, but if you want to ignore it, fine by me, you're fortunately not a 'lay' manager yourself and it's not your job so no harm done. I still think you're showing a total lack of respect for colleagues, however, and it's this us versus them attitude that ignores the big picture of everybody having their own job and that having to enforce things (e.g. targets) is an issue with the system itself, which is fundamentally based on targets and performance for payment. So if we're going to blast anybody with cynicism and rage, perhaps it's that and not the poor unfortunates employed to carry out these tasks.
This is exactly what I've been saying!! It's the targets you have a problem with, not the people trying to make sure they're delivered.

that's the point they don;t ensure the target is actually delivered, just that it appears to be delivered. This is secondary to the lack of utility of these targets.

[QUOTE=seaholme;51925313
Anyway I'm more or less done with trying to discuss this as I've no idea what you're on about with this whole lay manager business, and if you want to think that these people do sod all and write off their role or dismiss it, then that's up to you.

how many years have you worked in healthcare, how many y ears of experience do you have a clinician ? how many years of experience do you have as a clinician with mangerial responsibilities ?

What is your educational level ?
Are you a educator as well as a practitioner ? are you even a practitioner?

[QUOTE=seaholme;51925313
There is a lot of extra stuff which goes on above and beyond just providing front line services, but if you want to ignore it, fine by me,

I'm, fully aware of what goes on, what i object to is the presence of managers with no professional accountability, no knowledge of healthcare and no insight into service delivery where the 'product' is a human being

they are also a cost that can be ill afforded - when clinicans find their roles downgraded to save money but yeat another raft of lay managers are appointed to do glorified data entry clerk work

[QUOTE=seaholme;51925313
you're fortunately not a 'lay' manager yourself and it's not your job so no harm done. I still think you're showing a total lack of respect for colleagues,

lay managers on the whole do not respect clinicians - they do not even acknowledge that they are as well or better qualified than them in amangement ( all HE prepared health professionals have at least level 5 if not 6 or 7 qualifications with a big chunk of management and organisational behaviour content ),

Many lay managers do not respect patients they seem them as an inconvenience that they actually have feelings, sentiencens and so on rather than being inanimate product or merchancdise ... so why should i have respect for someone who is detrimental to the job of looking after patients ?

however, and it's this us versus them attitude that ignores the big picture of everybody having their own job and that having to enforce things (e.g. targets) is an issue with the system itself, which is fundamentally based on targets and performance for payment. So if we're going to blast anybody with cynicism and rage, perhaps it's that and not the poor unfortunates employed to carry out these tasks.

it;s not 'us and them' itl;s the fact that there are far too many, they are paid in excess of their untility and they adversely impact on service delivery by their very presence.
Original post by zippyRN
utter rubbish, i presume you've never worked in the NHS

you really haven't got a clue have you ?

are you being deliberately thick?

how many years have you worked in healthcare, how many y ears of experience do you have a clinician ? how many years of experience do you have as a clinician with mangerial responsibilities ?

What is your educational level ?
Are you a educator as well as a practitioner ? are you even a practitioner?

Why are you getting so upset?
zippy is correct with a lot of points.

particularly worrying currently in the recession as some daft decisions are being made by management in the name of efficiency savings and then pretending it is 'modernisation'. hospital closures, bed closures, even even sacking front line staff - all results in worse care and the front line staff have to pick up the pieces from each new idea and change.

i think though many experiences nurses, and especially so of consultants, will never pick any management role. i certainly will not !! this makes it worse for the few consultants or nurses that set up as they often get all the slack. i hope the nhs stays alive but i think it is cracking :frown:
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by shiggydiggy
Why are you getting so upset?

because services are diminished while the numbers of pointless lay managers remains the same or increases ?

the pay settlement , while somewhat of a side show, if often phrased in termso f putting x number of Nurses at risk - if you removed these pointless managers, replaced some with secretarial supprt for clinicians and/or data collection clearks you'd have the money to meet the independent pay review's recommendations and more ...
(edited 9 years ago)
How can you be working in the NHS and not realise that the decision to hire more staff does not lay in the hands of your team's manager? Do you really think the managers get to decide how that budget is spent? :rolleyes:
Original post by Revenged
zippy is correct with a lot of points.

particularly worrying currently in the recession as some daft decisions are being made by management in the name of efficiency savings and then pretending it is 'modernisation'. hospital closures, bed closures, even even sacking front line staff - all results in worse care and the front line staff have to pick up the pieces from each new idea and change.

i think though many experiences nurses, and especially so of consultants, will never pick any management role. i certainly will not !! this makes it worse for the few consultants or nurses that set up as they often get all the slack. i hope the nhs stays alive but i think it is cracking :frown:

the estate and more the point which beds are where needs rationalising , but the politicla football nature of the NHS means the 'reverse NIMBYs' have a disproprtionate voice, which increases in efficiencies, some ofthe stuff aobut A+E rationalisation in particualr is baseless tabloid grandstanding

there is no point calling a facility an 'Emergency Department' if there is not a decent selection of of the inpatient services in the rest of the hospital (e.g. Newark,. Grantham, Pontefract, some of the smaller London EDs)

the perception that a Minor Injuries Unit / Urgent care centre is some kind of downgrade - where for miost of the things you'd walk into an ED with you'll be getting the same or better treatment in an MIU /UCC - Nure led is no bad thing in terms of minor injuries service - do you ewant a master's prepared Specialist Practitioner with 5 - 40 years experience or some spotty youth of a foundation Doctor with as little as a coupel of weeks in speciality ?

turning a local Emergency Dept into a UCC/MIU doesnl;t mean you'll have to suffer longer ambulance journmeys if you are seriously ill or injured - the longer journey will happen anyway to get you to the CT scanner / cath lab / operating table quicker (for Stroke/ MI/ major trauma or AAA respectively
As a clinician now in management training, I have come to hold a huge amount of respect for "lay" managers. They have an extremely difficult task, and work long hours for no recognition. They work hard for the benefit of patients and recognise the qualifications of clinicians (most of whom make their lives more difficult and offer nothing constructive to management processes). Then they have to deal with other "professionals" belittling their work and thinking they could do it better, with little understanding of the complexity involved.

I have learnt so much more about management from experience than I have from any leadership or management qualification.

I just think it's plain rude and mis-informed to label a whole raft of the NHS workforce as useless and fail to recognise their contribution. In fact the only kind of person I think there is no place for in the NHS is someone who can't work as part of a (multidisciplinary) team to manage and deliver a service...
Original post by zippyRN
want a master's prepared Specialist Practitioner with 5 - 40 years experience or some spotty youth of a foundation Doctor with as little as a coupel of weeks in speciality ?

You enrage me with every single one of your idiotic posts. Stop capitalising words at random, punctuate properly and stop clouding your points in layers of technobabble.
Original post by zippyRN

do you ewant a master's prepared Specialist Practitioner with 5 - 40 years experience or some spotty youth of a foundation Doctor with as little as a coupel of weeks in speciality ?

Not at all belittling or insulting to this forum filled with 'spotty youths' of foundation doctors.

Is now a good time to remind people that this is a forum for current medical students and doctors only?

Posted from TSR Mobile
We always hear about how we need to cut the bureaucracy, fire the inefficient managers, not only in the NHS but in every other part of government.

We rarely hear about an actual example of a job that can be cut.

If you want to cut red tape, you need to give examples.
Original post by nexttime
We always hear about how we need to cut the bureaucracy, fire the inefficient managers, not only in the NHS but in every other part of government.

We rarely hear about an actual example of a job that can be cut.

If you want to cut red tape, you need to give examples.

primarily because it requires the turkeys to vote for Christmas

how about starting with looking very hard at jobs that fulfill the following criteria

1. banded 5 -7
2. do NOT require a Professional Qualification (or be working towards one for the accountants and HR types)
3. do not have an actual output that can be explained in a few words.
(edited 9 years ago)
Original post by zippyRN
primarily because it requires the turkeys to vote for Christmas

how about starting with looking very hard at jobs that fulfill the following criteria

1. banded 5 -7
2. do NOT require a Professional Qualification [sic] (or be working towards one for the accountants and HR types)
3. do not have an actual output that can be explained in a few words.

That's so non-specific. Give an example of a particular person's job, or more practically a particular role/form/activity that definitively has no impact. Not just "figures", "numbers", "targets" - be precise. I've no doubt they exist, in fact I can think of a couple at my hospital, yet you haven't pointed to any. Arguing about nebulous "managers" is pretty pointless.
Original post by nexttime
That's so non-specific. Give an example of a particular person's job, or more practically a particular role/form/activity that definitively has no impact. Not just "figures", "numbers", "targets" - be precise. I've no doubt they exist, in fact I can think of a couple at my hospital, yet you haven't pointed to any. Arguing about nebulous "managers" is pretty pointless.

There are several jobs currently being advertised on NHS jobs, which probably should be everyone in managements job.

Equality and Diversity Manager, Carbon Manager, Energy Manager, Communications Manager, the list goes on.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending