The Student Room Group

Architecture really getting me down, advice?

Hi there! I'm in the second year of an Architecture degree at cardiff and I don't know if I'm having a moment of clarity induced by weird early morning calm or the crushing weight of the ****ty week I've had. I'm pretty much just writing on here because my phone got stolen and I can't talk it through with my mum xD
I'm seriously thinking about dropping out, I kind of just realised that I don't actually want to be an architect, so why am I still here? "You can do anything you want with an architecture degree" they said, "You got through first year didn't you? Why waste that year and drop out now?" they said. But when a comment is made to our year chair about the workload and he says "well you chose the course, you should have been prepared for the workload. When I was in your shoes I often didn't sleep for three days at a time" I feel like something's gone wrong. I spent the whole of last year pulling allnighters and had no social life, hated my housemates and got sick the whole time from stress and depression, so this year I made a resolution to balance my work and personal time, but I just can't keep up with the course.
Is dropping out at this point in second year just a massive waste? I'm not too worried about wasting accommodation time because I actually really like living in cardiff and I've finally got some social engagements that I would hate to loose. I've worked in a cafe before and been put in contact with employers here when I first moved, so I feel like I could find work and use the time to sort out my portfolio of work and apply for something to do with furniture or product design, which is what my A-Levels were in.

I don't know, any clear flaws in my logic or things I've stupidly forgotten?
Basically, help me plz?
:smile:
Original post by Gregpachi
Hi there! I'm in the second year of an Architecture degree at cardiff and I don't know if I'm having a moment of clarity induced by weird early morning calm or the crushing weight of the ****ty week I've had. I'm pretty much just writing on here because my phone got stolen and I can't talk it through with my mum xD
I'm seriously thinking about dropping out, I kind of just realised that I don't actually want to be an architect, so why am I still here? "You can do anything you want with an architecture degree" they said, "You got through first year didn't you? Why waste that year and drop out now?" they said. But when a comment is made to our year chair about the workload and he says "well you chose the course, you should have been prepared for the workload. When I was in your shoes I often didn't sleep for three days at a time" I feel like something's gone wrong. I spent the whole of last year pulling allnighters and had no social life, hated my housemates and got sick the whole time from stress and depression, so this year I made a resolution to balance my work and personal time, but I just can't keep up with the course.
Is dropping out at this point in second year just a massive waste? I'm not too worried about wasting accommodation time because I actually really like living in cardiff and I've finally got some social engagements that I would hate to loose. I've worked in a cafe before and been put in contact with employers here when I first moved, so I feel like I could find work and use the time to sort out my portfolio of work and apply for something to do with furniture or product design, which is what my A-Levels were in.

I don't know, any clear flaws in my logic or things I've stupidly forgotten?
Basically, help me plz?
:smile:

I'm so sorry you're feeling this way, the workload and stress must suck!

I really do think it's a no brainer though - stick with it - honestly!

Like you said, you are already in your second year. There are far more pros of finishing your degree than cons.

You have the chance here to gain a well regarded degree from a great uni - If you decide not to continue with architecture afterwards then at least you have a degree under your belt; a lot of jobs nowadays will accept you on the basis of a degree alone.

However, if you change your mind in the future and decide you really wish to pick up architecture again then you can! You have the degree to do so, you have an architecture degree which will allow you to have a choice of job. I highlight 'choice' because if you do not have an architecture degree then there's a 90% chance you will never become an architect.

I understand your frustration right now, but these stressful times at uni are not always a true representation of what you really want. You're thinking about workload and exams and tutors - but once you're out of uni, things are much different...you might find you enjoy doing architecture a whole lot more!

But again, if you want to pursue a different career path, employers will look at your architecture degree and assess that it is a degree that requires stamina, creativity, mathematics/physic skills, design. You're highly employable!! Stick it out if you can...you might regret it otherwise :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending