The Student Room Group

Making friends at a new sixthform?

Hi,
In Sept I'm moving on from my all-girls state school to go to a co-ed grammar.
I'm super excited but a little anxious as all my friends from my current school are moving on to different colleges, sixth forms etc. I've really only started to make stronger friends in y11 rather than just 'people I know' and, being in an all-girls, the friendships provide a strong support even though they're new.
I'll be one of the only girls from my school going to the grammar, but I'm a little worried about fitting in. The other girls going are in my class atm but they're very two faced and bitchy so I don't want to be associated with them if possible.
It's taken me since year seven to make some good friends after trial and error, but my personality has changed quite a bit since then. I'm more sporty, positive and extroverted which I hope will make me more approachable and means I can join a club or two to make new friends. I'm also worried about my humour- it's quick-fire, witty, sarcastic and takes some getting used to. My friends love it and find it hilarious, but I think I should tone it down (at least for the first few weeks). My friends think I should go in all guns blazing so nobody is surprised or thinks I'm false. What does everyone think?
I'm really glad there's a 'uniform'- It takes a lot of stress out of the initial days!
What should I do? Does anyone have any tips or experience on moving to a new sixth form and making new friends? How do I leave good impressions on students while building good teacher/student relationships?
Thank you!

Ps- I'm doing Psychology, Politics and History if that helps?
I moved to a different school for sixth form and there was 2 or 3 other girls who used to go to my school going as well however the weren't really people I'd ever spoken to. I don't know if your school will be doing this but we had an induction day and got to know some people and I met some of my now closest friends there. The first week is a bit crazy, finding lessons etc and I would just hang around whoever. You do become good friends with the people in your classes and I would just be yourself. I would say it wasn't until roughly beginning over November before everyone was settled and we had solid friendship groups.
There will probably be a few other people who are new to the school so I would recommend talking to them because they're in the same position as you :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest