The Student Room Group

Is it conceited to think you're pretty?

It seems as though people are told a lot to 'love who they are' and be confident. However, i feel like if I was to say to someone that I think I'm fairly attractive, they'd think I'm conceited. Even though people should be encouraged to express positive things about themselves, I think id be quite taken aback if someone openly said they think they are beautiful. It just seems odd but I'm not sure why. I'm quite aware there isn't much rationality behind that but...

Would you view someone as conceited if they said to you they think they're attractive?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
I hate narcissists. Some call it confidence but that kind of confidence quickly curdles into arrogance; smarts turn to smugness, charm turns to smarm. They will talk endlessly about themselves, but when they ask about you well, never mind, because they never do.

But by most measures, narcissism is one of the worst, if only because the narcissists themselves are so clueless.
I wouldn't view them as conceited if they were attractive. I would view them as self-aware and confident, which in itself only makes them more attractive. If however, they thought they were attractive and constantly talked about such and they were only average-looking, well, that's not a good quality.

Thing is, you have to acknowledge how you are. You must know your strengths and weaknesses. Don't delude yourself, that's silly, but why would you ever need to talk about how attractive you think you are? If you find yourself talking about that topic often then maybe there is something wrong...
There's a difference between thinking something and saying it. Going around saying 'I'm beautiful' is like going around saying 'my parents are millionaires'. It may be true, but its not tasteful to say it. It makes people feel bad apart from anything else, and stops them from relating to you as easily.
Reply 4
Original post by Lil08
I hate narcissists. Some call it confidence but that kind of confidence quickly curdles into arrogance; smarts turn to smugness, charm turns to smarm....

...and anger leads to.... TOWIE
Hey OP, first of all, thinking you're attractive is perfectly fine, and that's great. Don't bring it up, unless someone directly asks you "Do you think you're attractive?" and then it's fine to be honest, just don't brag, and certainly don't compare yourself to others.

If I was in the scenario where I thought I was attractive (LMAO) then I'd be happy about it, but I wouldn't tell anyone, because I just can't find a good reason to even bring it up.

Unrelated side note: making yourself look good isn't vain unless you're self obsessed. And from your wording I can tell you are extremely aware so that doesn't seem like a possible risk, all in all, stop worrying, you're fine :smile:

(All of this post is my opinion, feel free to disagree and tell me why)
lmao I see your answers a lot and the bluntness always makes me laugh (in the nicest possible way)
Those who are pretty all know they are pretty. It's just whether they openly express this. You can sort of gauge your attractiveness when you see the response you get from the opposite sex.

There was this interesting experiment done which explains human attraction quite well...

They got a group of people and gave them all stickers with numbers ranging from 1-10 to place on their forehead. Obviously they can't see their number but they can see others. The organisers then told the participants to pair up with another person to give the highest combined number.

Those with the higher numbers e.g. 8, 9 and 10 paired up with other similar numbers as they'd both see the high number on the other person's head and then they could gauge their own number. The numbers represent attractiveness if you hadn't realised. :P
some people are undeniably beautiful...
Original post by CTLeafez
Those who are pretty all know they are pretty. It's just whether they openly express this. You can sort of gauge your attractiveness when you see the response you get from the opposite sex.

There was this interesting experiment done which explains human attraction quite well...

They got a group of people and gave them all stickers with numbers ranging from 1-10 to place on their forehead. Obviously they can't see their number but they can see others. The organisers then told the participants to pair up with another person to give the highest combined number.

Those with the higher numbers e.g. 8, 9 and 10 paired up with other similar numbers as they'd both see the high number on the other person's head and then they could gauge their own number. The numbers represent attractiveness if you hadn't realised. :P

lol, must be crushing to be given a 3
Reply 10
Convention and English etiquette is you let others judge these things and don't self declare. Fine go know it though.
You could think you're the bomb but you don't need to tell anyone. If you're truly confident you don't need to tell people to make yourself feel good
Reply 12
It's about how you pout it across, I think. Just don't be a nob about it and I won't think that you are conceited.
I know this is an old thread but I only just read it... and reading the replies annoyed me. I know I’m an average looking person but I will say,damn I’m having a good hair day or, my new skin care routine is WORKING and I don’t think that’s conceited. Why not be happy with the little things? If you’re a supermodel endlessly going on about your attractiveness, ok, I can see that, but that wasn’t the question I think.most of us mere mortals realise we’re not magazine worthy (like 99% of the general population) but if you feel good why not just be a bit cheeky and note it? It’s not narcissism, that’s a literal personality disorder. It’s just one moment where we feel good, there are many more when we don’t. It’s ok to feel pretty and it’s ok to say it sometimes.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending