The Student Room Group

AS Levels

I am currently doing a NVQ in Health and Social Care, but I don't want to continue it next year. I have decided to do the A-Level course that the college I currently attend do.

I have four options I can pick with AS Citizenship (complusary).
I have chosen:
-English Language
-Economics
-History
-Geographary

I am a little concerned that I haven't done Geographary or History at GCSE. Not enough people to do Geographary and too many people picked History.

At the end of the course I want to go to uni and either do a degree in History, Economics or Law. Are these subjects about right for the potenial degree subjects I want to do.
you would be better off doing english literature (rather than language) depending on the sort of University you are planning to apply to.
also, to do economics at Univeristy having a maths alevel is more important than having an economics alevel.
^I was going to pick maths but it is in the same block as history, so I wouldn't be able to do both.

Also I was thinking of doing Literature as I do read a lot of books but I thought that I am more creative so language wouldn't be much of a strugle for me.
Reply 4
You cannot possibly like three completely different degrees.

Here is some advice.

If you want to study Geography:
Geography.
Biology is an excellent combination.
English Literature.
History (sort of related).

If you want to study Economics:
Maths.
Economics.
Geography (sort of related).
Business Studies (you will have a superior knowledge on Business and Economics)
Reply 5
Maths, Economics, English Lang and Geography would be suitable for both an Economics degree and a Law degree.
Reply 6
Petroleum

If you want to study Economics:
Maths.
Economics.
Geography (sort of related).
Business Studies (you will have a superior knowledge on Business and Economics)

Alot of places don't like the combination of Economics and Business, infact, I remember in one prospectus it said it wouldn't accept them as two seperate qualifications or something, like English Language and Media Studies.

For Economics, the big two are Economics OR Business, and Maths! Other good ones are History, Lang/Lit, Geography or a language.
Reply 7
Yeh i agree with kirstinx swap geography for maths then you have a very good combination of subjects for all three degrees.

And yes it is true that english lit is regarded higher than english lang but with 3 other well respected subjects i dont think it will matter much. English lang is still regarded higher than media, business studies etc.
Reply 8
My friend does History now at A2 Level and never took GCSE. She said it was a lot of hard work at first but she really enjoys it.
I took Business Studies and Economics and still got accepted!
nayiseda
Yeh i agree with kirstinx swap geography for maths then you have a very good combination of subjects for all three degrees.

And yes it is true that english lit is regarded higher than english lang but with 3 other well respected subjects i dont think it will matter much. English lang is still regarded higher than media, business studies etc.

I think I will take maths over geographary.

Why is lang not as respected as lit?
Reply 11
Good choice to choose maths over geography

Dont get me wrong english lang is respected and apparently is quite hard. (Be warned that its apparently different from GCSE English Lang)

Its just that English Lit is an older and more traditional subject and arguably teaches skills that are invaluable for degrees such as history, law and the writing aspect of economics.
Circa1892
Alot of places don't like the combination of Economics and Business, infact, I remember in one prospectus it said it wouldn't accept them as two seperate qualifications or something, like English Language and Media Studies.

For Economics, the big two are Economics OR Business, and Maths! Other good ones are History, Lang/Lit, Geography or a language.

Numerous top universities adopt this particular policy. Essentially viewing Economics as a superior alternative to Business Studies, whilst it isnt recommended to take both subjects you are always best to consult with your prospective university admission departments to see what their stance is on the combination of the two subjects at A-Level.

Mathematics, and either Economics or Business Studies do appear to be somewhat of a prerequisite to study Economics at degree level. However, i have recently received an offer from Manchester to study Economics studying just Business Studies and neither Mathematics or Economics. So there are always exceptions to the convention. :smile:
Reply 13
I believe some Universities will take on people for Economics degrees on the strength of a Maths and Further Maths combination.
For economics at top unis, you need maths, but presumably it would also be a good idea to take geography if you're considering that. Would it be possible to take both of those plus economics and then either English or history? That would set you up nicely for all 3 of your options. As for the lang/lit debate, it's true that lit is more respected and would probably be looked upon more favourably than lang for law, but it shouldn't matter too much really. Bear in mind that lang is very different at A-level compared to GCSE, so make sure you research it thoroughly to ensure you know what it entails.

Latest

Trending

Trending