The Student Room Group
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

If I want to drop out?

Hi all.

I'm a 27 year old student currently studying biomed at Sunderland. I joined with distinctions in Access to HE Human Biology, English and Law. I'm considering dropping out because the course only asked for GCSE C in maths and no grades in chemistry, yet quite clearly requires a very good base of knowledge of these areas. A lot of the basic information is taught as more of a quick recap than an actual lesson. I'm really bad at maths which is why I opted for a biology based subject and the requirement of a C GCSE lured me in to a false sense of security, especially as my GCSE's were taken a long time ago at a terrible secondary school. As a result I'm not getting many of the key concepts in biological chemistry. I requested maths support regarding pH calculations and dilutions. I was referred to the study skills centre. The advisor had no idea what she was doing and had very little confidence with molarity, let alone dilutions.

Another major concern is during the open day the lecturer when I asked about placements for Healthcare science stated that she's "never had a student not get a placement". When I queried it a few weeks ago they stated they have 7 placements for 140 students. I'm told that the degree is worthless without some lab experience.

Some other issues:

The literature for the course made out that around 30% of students were adults. I'm yet to meet one, being surrounded by 18-20 year old's isn't horrible but I can't really connect with anyone. I haven't made a single friend since arriving.

I specified that I suffer from aspergers syndrome when I joined the university. I was deferred for a report for missing a single lecture (due to related sleeping issues) I was told that I needed to provide a doctors note despite having declared the condition to UCAS and the university previously, what was the point of declaring the issue?

My question is, am I worrying over nothing?
If I do leave what happens regarding fees?
Who would I need to speak to about quitting?
Hey, sorry to see you haven't had any replies to your thread yet. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific university or course forum should help get more responses. :redface:

If you haven’t already found it, then university connect is a really useful way for finding people at your course/university! You can also find a list of applicant threads and courses here. :h: It's worth checking out if you have questions.

If you need advice on your academic work, then the Study Help section will be able to help you. :h: Hope this helps! :h:
Student in halls, University of Sunderland
University of Sunderland
Sunderland
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending