The Student Room Group

Help with subject choices

Hi I am Currently in year 12 doing my ASs. My subjects are biology chemistry geography and BTEC ICT. However I really dislike geography and would like to drop it either now or at the end of the AS year.. Would 2 A levels and a BTEC be enough to get into a uni to study courses like medicine biology (most medical and chemical courses eg optometry/dentistry) or computing as long as I get good grades.
Reply 1
Original post by Aneeqkaiser
Hi I am Currently in year 12 doing my ASs. My subjects are biology chemistry geography and BTEC ICT. However I really dislike geography and would like to drop it either now or at the end of the AS year.. Would 2 A levels and a BTEC be enough to get into a uni to study courses like medicine biology (most medical and chemical courses eg optometry/dentistry) or computing as long as I get good grades.

If you mean Medicine as in going on to become a doctor then absolutely not BTEC's aren't accepted as they aren't considered academic enough. Same with dentistry.
For other sciencey courses such as medicinal biology(perhaps what you meant) a Btec and 2 alevels would probably only be sufficient at lesser universities.
Although i see where you're coming from having done geog to a2 myself i'd recommend sticking it out. It isn't the most riveting subject but it isn't the most challenging either. It is a subject people generally do very well in.
It depends if you can look past the next 2 years. If keeping geography is a token to doing what you want in the future you need to think really carefully about it as that BTEC could hold you back.
Reply 2
Original post by em.d_4
If you mean Medicine as in going on to become a doctor then absolutely not BTEC's aren't accepted as they aren't considered academic enough. Same with dentistry.
For other sciencey courses such as medicinal biology(perhaps what you meant) a Btec and 2 alevels would probably only be sufficient at lesser universities.
Although i see where you're coming from having done geog to a2 myself i'd recommend sticking it out. It isn't the most riveting subject but it isn't the most challenging either. It is a subject people generally do very well in.
It depends if you can look past the next 2 years. If keeping geography is a token to doing what you want in the future you need to think really carefully about it as that BTEC could hold you back.

I see what you mean but wont it only be useful if i get a good grade in it? so far im not doing very well as i find the structure of the questions difficult to answer
Reply 3
Original post by Aneeqkaiser
I see what you mean but wont it only be useful if i get a good grade in it? so far im not doing very well as i find the structure of the questions difficult to answer

Well yes and no. If you want to go to top unis to do sciences many won't accept a BTEC hence it is utterly useless. You need to narrow down what you'd like to do and then speak to relevant faculty and look at relevant uni websites as to whether they'd take that BTEC as it's hard to say without knowing more precisely where you're aiming.

Don't forget that huge numbers of people go to their first choice of uni but miss the grades. You've only been doing geography a level 1 term so take time to let it come together and work on things like question style. Out of interest what board is it? Don't discount geography so early on as you may need it, you don't want to be in a position on AS results day where you don't do well in one of the subjects you want to continue but have already discounted geography.
Reply 4
Original post by em.d_4
Well yes and no. If you want to go to top unis to do sciences many won't accept a BTEC hence it is utterly useless. You need to narrow down what you'd like to do and then speak to relevant faculty and look at relevant uni websites as to whether they'd take that BTEC as it's hard to say without knowing more precisely where you're aiming.

Don't forget that huge numbers of people go to their first choice of uni but miss the grades. You've only been doing geography a level 1 term so take time to let it come together and work on things like question style. Out of interest what board is it? Don't discount geography so early on as you may need it, you don't want to be in a position on AS results day where you don't do well in one of the subjects you want to continue but have already discounted geography.

The exam board is AQA and as for unis i want to stay local so universities such as Huddersfield Bradford or Leeds are what im looking at so i wouldnt really say they are "Top unis"

In terms of what i want to study i really enjoy biology and computing so im looking for a career which involves them and also has a high pay
Reply 5
Hey , I was wondering if I could get information regarding retaking As year, taking different subjects and my chances of getting into uni (medicine). Im studying English Lit, Maths, Economics & Politics, but want to retake and study Bio, Chem, at AS, taking Math, Chem, Bio and whatever As subject I did good on my first year. Im predicted and AABB this year. Does this make me a resit applicant as i know med schools want you to complete it in 2 years , as it shows it handles the content but technically i would ?

Quick Reply

Latest