The Student Room Group

Best A levels to keep my options open?

I'm thinking of taking Biology/English lit/Physics OR Psychology but I'm really stressing about what combinations of subjects would keep me most secure and leave my options open as I'm not exactly sure what I want to do after college. I would love to go into something in the medical field , not necessarily a doctor as my grades at GCSE are all between a 5-7, but something that helps people. So yeah any advice on what I could do at uni/career and with my options would really be helpful. Thankyou!! :smile:
Original post by kangelzmuse
I'm thinking of taking Biology/English lit/Physics OR Psychology but I'm really stressing about what combinations of subjects would keep me most secure and leave my options open as I'm not exactly sure what I want to do after college. I would love to go into something in the medical field , not necessarily a doctor as my grades at GCSE are all between a 5-7, but something that helps people. So yeah any advice on what I could do at uni/career and with my options would really be helpful. Thankyou!! :smile:

Hi @kangelzmuse

I think taking at least one science based subject would be a good choice if you're interested in something related to the medical field later on. So biology and/or physics would be good.

English Literature sounds like a great option for another diverse subject as again, you could find it useful in a medical subject or it could be transferable to an application for a completely different subject.

As you're still undecided about where you'd like to progress onto after college, I would suggest choosing your A Levels based on the subjects you enjoy and are interested in to keep you motivated while studying. Plus, this might help you find what you'd like to study at university or what industry you might go into.

Psychology is another good choice like English, as it can be transferable to lots of other subject areas, while also having some relevance to the medical field, so I think your possible subject choices would be ideal as a broad set of A Levels.

If there are a few careers you're interested in, maybe you could have a look on UCAS at some higher education options and see if there are any you like, and if they require specific subjects. But most universities are interested in the UCAS points/grades and less so the subjects you have them in.

I hope this helps.
Emily
Student Ambassador at BCU

Quick Reply

Latest