The Student Room Group

Would you attend a part time job that is 1hr 30 mins away each way?

Scroll to see replies

I've done it before for a full time job but I would hate to have to do it again. It cost me over £220 a month to travel to that job but I'm only spending half that now for a 45-55 minute commute.
It really depends on the shift length too though. There's not much point travelling 3 hours if you're working under 6, and you will have hardly any time to yourself if you work more than 9 or 10.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Blue_Mason
Omg the replies just prove how entitled and work shy are current young generation can be.
Of course I would take it, I mean the motivation,the discipline and non complency you can get from working in such circumstances will benefit you in the long run.
I ask myself how many of these youngsters actually earned a pound to invest towards their trendy lifestyles?

The point is that in this current climate, we can't afford to take a job to learn motivation and discipline, if most of your part time earnings are spent on travel, it might as well be volunteering. Most people cannot afford to volunteer if they are in need of money.
Original post by Blue_Mason
Omg the replies just prove how entitled and work shy are current young generation can be.
Of course I would take it, I mean the motivation,the discipline and non complency you can get from working in such circumstances will benefit you in the long run.
I ask myself how many of these youngsters actually earned a pound to invest towards their trendy lifestyles?

Typical response

Theres a difference between being willing and wanting to work and being plain stupid.
I myself have worked at places that have been quite far away from home. The distance i had to travel- although it was a lot- wasnt too bad. But 1 hour 30 minutes each way is a bit much. Id like to see you doing that.
Original post by Eva.Gregoria
The point is that in this current climate, we can't afford to take a job to learn motivation and discipline, if most of your part time earnings are spent on travel, it might as well be volunteering. Most people cannot afford to volunteer if they are in need of money.

huh? why not?
Original post by og.east
huh? why not?

Do people earn money from volunteering now or...?
Do people earn money from volunteering now or...?

yeah i did ignore the part where you equated OP's situation to volunteering. if the alternative is NO job, why would you not take it?
Original post by og.east
yeah i did ignore the part where you equated OP's situation to volunteering. if the alternative is NO job, why would you not take it?

The alternative is rarely no job, the time spent travelling to and fro and working there could be spent applying for jobs closer to home. Even better, that could be done while receiving job seekers allowance so there's some sort of income coming in. Nothing worse than earning less than people on the dole.
The alternative is rarely no job, the time spent travelling to and fro and working there could be spent applying for jobs closer to home. Even better, that could be done while receiving job seekers allowance so there's some sort of income coming in. Nothing worse than earning less than people on the dole.

the alternative is commonly no job in the 'current climate' you mentioned. but i'm making assumptions about OP's situation so who knows what else he could be up to. i don't think he'd be considering such an inconvenient job if he were drowning in job offers though. continuing with my assumption that he's currently on the dole, the travel costs won't matter for a solid 8 weeks as the job centre offers to cover travel when you get a new job.

tbh even if he ends up taking home less than he would on dole, it still has benefits that outweigh the financial "hit" (never gonna be a big hit though is it from £55 a week). experience being the obvious one.
Original post by rustyappletree
wow your advisor sounds nice, how long ago was that?

1 year ago.
Original post by Emma:-)
Theres a difference between being willing and wanting to work and being plain stupid.
I myself have worked at places that have been quite far away from home. The distance i had to travel- although it was a lot- wasnt too bad. But 1 hour 30 minutes each way is a bit much. Id like to see you doing that.

I easily could since it takes me almost that long to commute towards central by bus.
I agree that traveling costs are a ripoff but still you it to yourself to get out their and take whatever opportunity you can get and give back to society.

But you're young and you're healthy.
I mean there is nothing wrong in changing careers but you still need that experience and work ethic under your belt.
Working is very important, and people actually respect you more.
Depends on my situation at the time. If I couldn't find anything better or desperately needed money then yeah. It also depends on your living situation. Moving closer is often quite possible if you are a renter or living at home.
It takes me 50 minutes each way to get to my £4.35/hr job, but it only costs me 70p each way, so I keep doing it. If you want to work that much, and it's financially viable, then go for it imo.
Would completely depend on whether paying transport for the job would land me in a financial situation that deemed the job pointless, the time for the commute wouldn't bother me much since I got used to long journeys when at college.

Quick Reply

Latest