The Student Room Group

Teaching through Agencies?

Hi,

I am just wondering what the general feeling is toward teaching Agencies? Is it something that your Unis talk to you about?

Thanks x
Ours told us to be wary.
Original post by Emmalh1234
Hi,

I am just wondering what the general feeling is toward teaching Agencies? Is it something that your Unis talk to you about?

Thanks x

Totally unnecessary for most positions.
If you don't want/are unsuccessful in obtaining a post for September, you might want to do supply through an agency.

The advice to "be wary" is fair though - don't sign up to loads and don't keep paying for DBS checks for each agency. Badger them if they're being slow to find you work, and insist on being paid properly (ie: teacher, not cover supervisor, rates).

From my experience, and that of friends who did supply for a few months after their NQT year before going travelling, it tends to be slow work at the start, then pick up once you've been to a few schools and they start to ask for you back / the agency know you have coped OK and they can trust you to do a decent job.

If you don't want to do short-term supply, I wouldn't bother with the agencies.
Reply 4
I think it's better to avoid an agency if you can. Working in a school full-time will be more stable and make it easier for getting through the NQT year where you'll have colleagues who know you and can support you etc. Agencies are fine if you're thinking of taking some time out but need some income to keep you ticking over. It's not something that would usually be recommended. You can find yourself in a classroom purely as a keeper of the peace, rather than a teacher (particularly if you're only at the school for a day or so - long-term cover options are better).
Reply 5
Thanks everyone, the reason I was looking to to Teaching agencies was because I heard it was a good way to get experience in different schools. Especially as I am considering moving to London and teaching there. Has anyone else done this or know friends who have?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending