The Student Room Group

Physics or math.

So I'm applying for uni in September and currently in trying to decide between math and physics as a subject. I think if I chose physics I would either do astro- or theoretical. So what are tge pros, cons, of all 3 subjects and which would you recommend?
You should basically be able to do them all in one degree? Try a joint degree? Or go to scotland and try them out in your first year
Reply 2
Original post by Aph
So I'm applying for uni in September and currently in trying to decide between math and physics as a subject. I think if I chose physics I would either do astro- or theoretical. So what are tge pros, cons, of all 3 subjects and which would you recommend?

Astro - lots of facts and figures to memorise, I personally did terribly in this because im more into deriving equations and solving mathematical problems.
Theoretical - very difficult maths, i'd say more difficult than a straight maths degree. but more interesting than maths (I think) as its applied
Maths - is exactly what it says on the tin, proofs, complex problems

so in short if you're very good at maths and interested in applying maths to real life (and theoretical) phenomenon go for theoretical, if you want pure maths do straight maths, if you are good at memorising how things work and are interested in astro, then go for astro.
Reply 3
Original post by UniBrah
Astro - lots of facts and figures to memorise, I personally did terribly in this because im more into deriving equations and solving mathematical problems.
Theoretical - very difficult maths, i'd say more difficult than a straight maths degree. but more interesting than maths (I think) as its applied
Maths - is exactly what it says on the tin, proofs, complex problems

so in short if you're very good at maths and interested in applying maths to real life (and theoretical) phenomenon go for theoretical, if you want pure maths do straight maths, if you are good at memorising how things work and are interested in astro, then go for astro.

Am I right in thinking that theoretical involves quantem? Or is that different all together?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Aph
Am I right in thinking that theoretical involves quantem? Or is that different all together?

Posted from TSR Mobile

It would depend on the modules your chosen University offers, for example Leeds Uni:

http://webprod3.leeds.ac.uk/banner/dynprogrammes.asp?Y=201415&P=BS-PHYS%2FTP

Which doesn't have specific quantum modules to Theoretical Physics, BUT almost all Universities offer Quantum Modules as one of their core modules. i.e. you have to take them.

More complex Quantum Theory would usually come after your degree at postgrad level.

To answer your question more specifically no, theoretical physics does not involve very much quantum mechanics directly. in my experience.
Reply 6
Original post by UniBrah
It would depend on the modules your chosen University offers, for example Leeds Uni:

http://webprod3.leeds.ac.uk/banner/dynprogrammes.asp?Y=201415&P=BS-PHYS%2FTP

Which doesn't have specific quantum modules to Theoretical Physics, BUT almost all Universities offer Quantum Modules as one of their core modules. i.e. you have to take them.

More complex Quantum Theory would usually come after your degree at postgrad level.

To answer your question more specifically no, theoretical physics does not involve very much quantum mechanics directly. in my experience.

Thank you:biggrin:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending