Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    So I'm applying for uni in September and currently in trying to decide between math and physics as a subject. I think if I chose physics I would either do astro- or theoretical. So what are tge pros, cons, of all 3 subjects and which would you recommend?

ReputationRep:
    You should basically be able to do them all in one degree? Try a joint degree? Or go to scotland and try them out in your first year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    So I'm applying for uni in September and currently in trying to decide between math and physics as a subject. I think if I chose physics I would either do astro- or theoretical. So what are tge pros, cons, of all 3 subjects and which would you recommend?
    Astro - lots of facts and figures to memorise, I personally did terribly in this because im more into deriving equations and solving mathematical problems.
    Theoretical - very difficult maths, i'd say more difficult than a straight maths degree. but more interesting than maths (I think) as its applied
    Maths - is exactly what it says on the tin, proofs, complex problems

so in short if you're very good at maths and interested in applying maths to real life (and theoretical) phenomenon go for theoretical, if you want pure maths do straight maths, if you are good at memorising how things work and are interested in astro, then go for astro.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by UniBrah)
    Astro - lots of facts and figures to memorise, I personally did terribly in this because im more into deriving equations and solving mathematical problems.
    Theoretical - very difficult maths, i'd say more difficult than a straight maths degree. but more interesting than maths (I think) as its applied
    Maths - is exactly what it says on the tin, proofs, complex problems

so in short if you're very good at maths and interested in applying maths to real life (and theoretical) phenomenon go for theoretical, if you want pure maths do straight maths, if you are good at memorising how things work and are interested in astro, then go for astro.
    Am I right in thinking that theoretical involves quantem? Or is that different all together?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Or meth

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aph)
    Am I right in thinking that theoretical involves quantem? Or is that different all together?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It would depend on the modules your chosen University offers, for example Leeds Uni:

http://webprod3.leeds.ac.uk/banner/d...P=BS-PHYS%2FTP

Which doesn't have specific quantum modules to Theoretical Physics, BUT almost all Universities offer Quantum Modules as one of their core modules. i.e. you have to take them.

More complex Quantum Theory would usually come after your degree at postgrad level.

To answer your question more specifically no, theoretical physics does not involve very much quantum mechanics directly. in my experience.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    (Original post by UniBrah)
    It would depend on the modules your chosen University offers, for example Leeds Uni:

http://webprod3.leeds.ac.uk/banner/d...P=BS-PHYS%2FTP

Which doesn't have specific quantum modules to Theoretical Physics, BUT almost all Universities offer Quantum Modules as one of their core modules. i.e. you have to take them.

More complex Quantum Theory would usually come after your degree at postgrad level.

To answer your question more specifically no, theoretical physics does not involve very much quantum mechanics directly. in my experience.
    Thank you

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.