The Student Room Group

Does my teacher hate me?

I think my maths teacher hates me.

In every maths test we do, I score the highest but there is this other student who I shall call Roger, who is highly praised for scoring ~86% whilst I tend to score 100%. I'm not at all bothered by this, but it is the way I'm just overlooked. And when the teacher gets round to asking me what I got, and I tell them, they go quiet, and everything gets really awkward.

I just don't know how to respond to these awkward situations. What makes it worse is that, one time, our school was selecting a few people to take to a maths workshop, and everyone in my class was shouting "Roger, take Roger, he's a genius" whilst my name was not mentioned even ONCE.

I ended up missing this opportunity, since I couldn't go up to my teacher and say " I'm better than Roger, take me instead" as this would appear arrogant.
Just accept it, move on. Then when you have a higher score than ''Roger'' in your exams you can lord it over them :biggrin: or, if ''Roger'' get a higher score then just continue what you have been doing, since they were correct to pick him ahead of you. But at the end of the day if you are the best you class will shine through.
Does Roger take further maths as well?
Original post by Anonymous

In every maths test we do, I score the highest but there is this other student who I shall call Roger, who is highly praised for scoring ~86% whilst I tend to score 100%. I'm not at all bothered by this, but it is the way I'm just overlooked. And when the teacher gets round to asking me what I got, and I tell them, they go quiet, and everything gets really awkward.

I just don't know how to respond to these awkward situations. What makes it worse is that, one time, our school was selecting a few people to take to a maths workshop, and everyone in my class was shouting "Roger, take Roger, he's a genius" whilst my name was not mentioned even ONCE.

I ended up missing this opportunity, since I couldn't go up to my teacher and say " I'm better than Roger, take me instead" as this would appear arrogant.

Are you sure she hates you? A lot of the time, when a teacher has a perfect student (perfect test scores, does homework to high standards ect) they often overlook that student because they seem to not need help or encouragement.
Or they could be trying to make you work harder and harder to get praise? If they know how talented you are at Maths then they might not praise everything you do to make to try harder to impress them.
On the other hand if your teacher is really hostile towards you just move on! If they're not going to support you then just think that you only need them until you pass your exam then you never have to put up with them again.
And at the end of the day even if 'Roger' gets the praise now you'll be the last one laughing in the future when the actual exam results arrive.
Don't stress about it :smile: X
Reply 4
Original post by morgan8002
Does Roger take further maths as well?

Yes
Reply 5
Original post by Anonymous

It's all well and good your teacher ignoring your attainment, you don't need encouraging and they recognise this.

But, don't let opportunities slip because you're afraid of appearing arrogant, just do it.
Also, as others have said, teachers tend not to give so much help to top students. If you understand all of the content completely the first time you come across it, teachers stop asking you if you understand.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending